New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems like a big hassle just to change one number, but I heard that the factory issued new plates to the dealer if the 320 didn't sell the year it was made as they title them the year they were sold which seems kinda dumb to me, to me if it was made in 1962 it will always be a 1962 in my mind.

The reason the factory had to issue the new VIN plate is because the frame has the VIN numbers also, so the new plate had to have the same numbers as the frame and you cannot change them easily, so after 1962 they left the year number off the plates and they stamped them the year they were sold likely at the dealer.

This is me just guessing and remembering something I had forgotten, I forgot I had posted a photo of the U320 plate also.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, wayno said:

It seems like a big hassle just to change one number, but I heard that the factory issued new plates to the dealer if the 320 didn't sell the year it was made as they title them the year they were sold which seems kinda dumb to me, to me if it was made in 1962 it will always be a 1962 in my mind.

The reason the factory had to issue the new VIN plate is because the frame has the VIN numbers also, so the new plate had to have the same numbers as the frame and you cannot change them easily, so after 1962 they left the year number off the plates and they stamped them the year they were sold likely at the dealer.

This is me just guessing and remembering something I had forgotten, I forgot I had posted a photo of the U320 plate also.

If this theory is true there has to be some 320s out there with the frame stamped a different year than the VIN plate. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. On the frame isn't the number after 320 the last digit in the year? If the car was a lefty  built in 62 it'd be L30-2- on the frame. Then if it was sold in 63 the dealer could stamp 3 in the last number of the year. The two wouldn't match up. 

• Like 1

I never really thought about that, I just went out and tried to read my 1963 trucks number that I am pretty sure was built in 1962 as it has the 62 grill, but I cannot read the numbers, I would have to sand blast that area to see the numbers, I used sand paper ans steel wool and cannot be sure of any number let alone 10 characters.

• Like 1

I think you guys are on the same page. Bottom line, the engraved numbers on the frame never change, as well as the matching number in the CAR NO. field. Sometimes an alpha character was added to the CAR NO. field, but nobody seems to know what the alpha character meant. Usually a C or D. One guys theory, as good as any, is that it means Copy or Duplicate, but he admits that he is guessing. The only thing that changes is MODEL for YEAR field

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stevecar said:

No VIN numbers stamped on body, just frame and VIN plate.

I have an AZ truck and sometime in the early 1980s the DMV put a state generated VIN number on the inside door jam because there isn't a VIN number on the body. A DMV guy told me they do that because without it they don't know when a cab and chassis are separated. They said the engine compartment plate doesn't count because it's removable. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Rick-rat said:

Don't open or close the tailgate, this is a truck, unless you are like Mr. Bigtanker and just want a look at me truck don't worry about it

I'm off the deep end. I bought it for a fun little grocery getter and I'm now balls-deep in a frame off restoration. I think it's a sickness. 

• Like 1

The sickness is called "Datsunitis". We are all infected by it. The symptoms are mostly the same but not limited. Symptoms include; buying more Datsuns than you really need, going to wrecking yards to "just look around and see what they have", hoarding Datsun parts(this also includes buying spare parts that you don't need but think you may need in the future), telling your wife/SO that you really don't have THAT much money tied up in cars/parts, knowing that you have a part some where in your stash but being unable to find it until you start looking for something completely different and then it pops up. Some may feel a strong urge to buy Datsun Hot Wheels.

Don't talk to your doctor about Datsunitis as this may lead to strange looks and possible incarceration in the looney bin. There is no cure for Datsunitis but relief can be found with the occasional road trip or hot lap around the block which should create  a little shit eating grin. Once you have Datsunitis, avoid cars like Honda, Toyota, and Mazda.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

front_suspension.jpg

54541-04100 are still available from Nissan (dust boots for upper spindle).  

54519-08700 (upper control arm bushings) cross to Moog K9207 on Rockauto which is a part for a 521 and 620 truck.  Definitely try those.  

For shocks I would get KYBs listed for the 520, which is either 343208 (GR-2) or KG4605A (Gas-A-Just).  

King pin sets I think are NLA but pop up on ebay from time to time.  That's where I bought mine.  

• Like 1