New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to have a new VIN plate made and I'm wondering if anyone else wants one while I'm at it. I bought one from Ted Heaton, scanned it, and cleaned it up digitally so it's pretty much an exact copy. It's not a recreation with modern fonts. The originals are actually a little crude and by scanning an original it preserves that character. 

I can't make the stupid "insert other media" button work but here's a link to the image.

https://ibb.co/Ns3dvSq

Also if anyone else might be interested let me know--I could probably make a handful. I'm thinking I could do them for about $35 shipped within the US. 

• Like 1

Great idea, I will definitely buy one if they turn out.  I have actually worked on this a bit and have drawn the tag on a CAD program, with dimensionally accurate and crisp black areas/clear voids for the text and stampings.  If you'd like I'd be happy to share that with you and you can layer on the white text from your file.  That may eliminate having to clean up the blocks for the stampings perfectly on Photoshop since you'd be starting with a clean edge.  

Also, the "L" should be stamped on the tag, not part of the blank.  

Finally, I have a vendor I used to manufacture the the Datsun 1200 valve cover badges I had made.  If you're interested I can give you my contact there.  They do really good work with space-age technology.  Send me an email or PM for details if that's of interest.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Conner said:

Great idea, I will definitely buy one if they turn out.  I have actually worked on this a bit and have drawn the tag on a CAD program, with dimensionally accurate and crisp black areas/clear voids for the text and stampings.  If you'd like I'd be happy to share that with you and you can layer on the white text from your file.  That may eliminate having to clean up the blocks for the stampings perfectly on Photoshop since you'd be starting with a clean edge.  

Also, the "L" should be stamped on the tag, not part of the blank.  

Finally, I have a vendor I used to manufacture the the Datsun 1200 valve cover badges I had made.  If you're interested I can give you my contact there.  They do really good work with space-age technology.  Send me an email or PM for details if that's of interest.  

Here's a link to the image I'm working on if anyone wants to take a look. Or can someone smarter than I am get it uploaded to the forum here? 

https://ibb.co/Ns3dvSq

• Like 1

Your image looks good.  There is some aliasing around the white boxes but it's hard to tell if that's because of the resolution of your jpg or just artifacts on your actual scan.  Here's what I've got.  It was drawn on a CAD program using my measurements from the VIN tag from my truck.  Then I filled in the black in Photoshop.  What I was suggesting was in Photoshop merge your scan of the cleaned up text onto this, which is a clean start on the bare badge.  

tag-no-words.jpg

• Like 2

Disconnecting was the easy part. Putting together on the other hand... I'm gonna need help from all you Datsun vets to give me advice. I've got everything off the cab but the steering column. I mean everything: dash, pedals, everything hydraulic and electrical.

I got a pretty close match to a stock Datsun green off an early 60's dealership paint chart. The codes on the chart don't come up anymore in the computer but the paint guys did a pretty good job. I used a tintable bed liner and the color matches other than the texture/sheen. I'm going to use the tinted bedliner on my cab floor and firewall. 

Also I got my VIN plate back from the printer. I made it from a high resolution scan from an original I bought from Ted Heaton so it's pretty dead on, including all the imperfections. Once you blow up the originals they're pretty crude. In my eyes the reproductions that are made digitally with modern fonts and CAD backgrounds look too crisp. I did it in a satin sheen which I think is the closest match that I could come up with.

6yh8nd.jpg

258pcnm.jpg

4uuxdl.jpg

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 1

The trucks that were sold in 62 VIN plate has all painted letters (1962) for the Model for Year field. After 63, they made a more generic plate and left the last digit blank to be stamped. So If you have a 62 sold in 63 then the 3 would be stamped, but if it were sold in 62, the 2 would be painted like the 196.

• Like 1