New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pulled out my wiper motor that's seized up and has some toasted wires. Does anyone have an extra in OK condition? I took it to the same place that rebuilt my generator and I'm hoping he can get it up and working for a reasonable amount of money. If it's too far gone I'll need a replacement. 

wiper-motor.jpg

wiper-motor-1.jpg

• Like 1

OK, I used a 720 motor on one of my 320s, I had to drill a couple new mount holes and modify the 720 drive arm, page 7 post 131 in the link below describes how I did it.

https://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=827

By the way it is a RHD, I do not think that would make a difference.

Also make sure your wiper transmission and pivot posts are not seized, they need to move freely with no drag at all.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

OK, I am going to show you a few photos and ask you if you can figure out why this motor will not run, look real close.

007.jpg

Here is a closer photo.

008.jpg

Do you see what is wrong, I am teaching you to learn as with these trucks you have to figure most everything out for yourself although an electrician should see it right away.

I cannot see your motor in the photo good enough to see if yours is like mine, mine is an early 320 motor and it does run, but it does not run the way it is in the photo.

The issue is the spring, it is making contact with both sides/brushes/arms, it is supposed to have a tiny little insulator on one side of the spring, but that little piece of insulator is delicate and it falls apart over time and then the spring makes contact with the other side and the motor will not run anymore, mine runs fine if I remove the spring, connect a clip to each arm side from a battery and then hold the arms together with my fingers.

I do not know if you tried to turn the assembly with your fingers to see if it was seized just below the spring as I cannot turn mine using the shaft where the arm connects.

You have to tinker with these old parts, they were made to last for the most part, I learn stuff all the time like this I just wrote, till today I thought this motor was bad, but when I seen your photo something clicked in my head I grabbed that motor as I never throw anything like this away, I removed the spring and did what I just said and it came to life.

Here is what it is supposed to look like.

009.jpg

Maybe yours has this little delicate washer, it might be seized then and just need pulled apart and cleaned up.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

Wayno that's such great into--thank you for sharing your wisdom. 

Sadly I think my wiper motor has multiple problems. At least three of the wires are cooked and the casing melted. I'm also afraid some of the wires on the armature might be cooked, which would probably mean it's dead dead. It'd be cost prohibitive to have it re-wrapped.

When I bought the truck I knew ZERO about 320s--just bought it on a whim 'cause it was a great looking little truck and I like the idea of early Japanese stuff. It was not running when I bought it and didn't have a battery. I came on here and found out they were originally positive ground so I hooked a battery up pos ground and got it running. Sadly someone had converted it to neg ground (even though it has the original generator) and I burnt out the coil. The coil got blistering hot and exploded. I wonder if I might have burnt out part of the wiper motor at the same time. It doesn't have the cover. 

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 1

Them first 2 photos of the motor with the spring contacting both sides doesn't have a top either, yours doesn't look much dirtier.

I think I can see an insulator on yours, so my guess is that it is seized in the bushings on both ends, I have melted wires on wiper motors before trying to wire a 521 wiper motor into a 720 wiring harness, I never hurt the motor itself, but I did smoke a few of the external wires and a few of the 720 intermittent wiper electrical units before I finally figured it out, that is why I am so crazy about telling folks on here about wiring when they put a 521 cab onto a 720 frame/chassis and they use the 720 wiring harness, the 521 wiper motor, heater, instrument cluster can all be used, they just have to be wired a certain way or wired stand alone(heater motor). 

Unless you can see broken wrapping wires I would not conclude the motor is bad, as I said they were built to last back then, they were not made like the disposable stuff they make today.

Have you heard from the rebuild guy yet?

• Like 2

Probably from the Nissan and Austin collaboration from '51 through '60 to build (assemble from British parts) the Austin A40 in Japan. This gave Nissan access to patents, and processes to be able to make all the parts themselves by '55 in the A50. (under license that is) The engine was based on an Austin design however. Ever wonder why all Datsun/Nissan engines up into the 2000s have an oil pressure sender with British Pipe Threads threads??? Some things (probably the electric wiper motors) are just not worth re-inventing and were kept.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, wayno said:

Have you heard from the rebuild guy yet?

Not yet--I'll probably hear back Monday. He's a good guy though, I trust him. Did a full rebuild on my stock generator for $100. 

I've got my eyes open for a replacement justin case. Anyone have an extra they might be willing to part with?

• Like 1

Here's the thing, that is a half year 1962 wiper motor if it was even made/used that long(very early 320 wiper motor), my 1963 Datsun L320 that was made in late 1962 does not have that wiper motor, only my 1962 Datsun U320 has that wiper motor, but I converted over to the 720 wiper motor as I had not found my good one at that time, since then I found the one I needed, I just have not done anything with that truck since Canby 2016.

My 1962 U320 also has the early firewall that has the heater core outlets on opposite sides of the core like I believe yours is also, almost all 320s in the USA have both heater core outlets on the same side one over the other.

Even the 2 different wiper motors I have for my 62 U320 are made differently, the one in the photos below has posts on the end that the wires connect to, while the one in the photos I posted a couple posts back have wires coming out the side/end which I suspect is the proper one for the truck, I only have one cover though.

You need to save that motor if you can, and when you put a wanted ad out anywhere, you need to specify that you need a early 320 wiper motor and you should have a photo in the ad, use my photos below, you likely want the type with the wires coming out the end like the one you have now, I believe the one in the photos below is an aftermarket replacement motor, or maybe it came from an earlier truck.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

Does anyone know for sure that the wiper motors were actually built by Nissan ?? I know some of the light units were built by Everwing. Maybe Nissan owned Everwing as a division (Example: GM's Delco divison; Ford's Motorcraft) ??

Nearly all vehicle manufacturers acquire at least some of the ancillary devices from outside suppliers. How many vehicle manufacturers make or have made their own shock absorbers ??

On this subject, I have a question. This photo I attached is of the cover for the early-mid 1960's 5-screw fuel pump that was used on some of the E1 engines built into the 320 pickups. The pump that I have has no manufacturer name stamped or cast into the body castings or stampings.

Does someone recognize the logo on this cover and know the name of the supplier to Nissan.

Manufacturer-Emblem-on-Fuel-Pump-Cover.j

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I'll try to save the motor for but if the armature is shot I'm afraid I'm out of luck. The other bummer is I don't have a cover.

I don't think you are out of luck. Like I said, the British stuff is near identical. You could probably use one for parts or even install it whole. If you can find just the right one, that is.

Also, the pics Wayno posted of the early ones are nearly identical to the ones in my 1957 Land Rover SI.

• Like 2

I actually looked at the Lucas wiper motors yesterday, and I have a MGTD wiper motor like the Land Rover one in the link above, both would need to have the mount sheet metal modified in the wiper area, and if one is going to have to modify anything, I say use the 720 wiper motor like I did, it was not that hard to do and I was able to use the 720 drive arm after I modified it to connect to the 320 wiper transmission assembly, but that truck had been converted to negative ground and has a Lucas Alternator.

I only had to drill 2 mount holes out of the 3 mount holes to use the 720 wiper motor, I cannot recall if I could have put the 320 drive arm on the 720 wiper motor, but I am sure I would not have hacked up a stock drive arm until I knew it would work, so I believe I modified the 720 arm as I have lots of them.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

The gas pedal assembly looks to have screws holding it in, that should be easy, the clutch/brake pedal assemblies are a little more complicated, they appear to unbolt also but the main pin/shaft I am unsure about, you may be able to just take the nut off one end and slide the core shaft out the other side, I have never done either before.

• Like 1

The clutch/brake is where I'm stuck. I took the big nut off the left side but the core shaft doesn't seem to move. The whole assembly looks locked in by the studs that go through the fire wall to the master cylinders. 

I'll try with that core shaft again tomorrow. I'll try some penetrating oil and tapping with a hammer.

• Like 1