New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had nothing but issues with 320 distributors, none of my good running 320s have one anymore.

I am always cautious about cheap carbs or parts for that matter, you get what you pay for, it's cheap for a reason, but I have had a 320 carb rebuilt and it didn't run properly either(floods out going around corners or when unlevel), I suspect it was because of the needle and seat they used, I could have broke open a rebuild kit I have and installed the proper ones, but I put a Weber on it instead and it starts way easier now, but about the same time I figured out how to put positive ground electronic ignition on it, all I know is it starts way easier but now has another miss issue I already mentioned.

• Like 1

If it's not idling, I suspect that either the idle up screw isn't making contact with the lever or that the distributor is having issues. Did it  have the same problem before you swapped carbs? If yes, then check the distributor and timing.

I would also confirm that the linkage on the carb is not faulty. Was the carb complete when you bought it? Or did you have to install your own throttle lever on the carb? If you had to mix-match pieces, maybe one of them wasn't right.

Can you affect the RPM at all by using the idle up screw (not the idle mixture screw) ?

A good starting point for the idle mixture is 1.5 to 2 turns out.

• Like 1

Got it! I tightened the idle up screw all the way down, let it idle high until the engine reached running temp and then tuned it down. Woo hoo! 

Up next is to locate an air cleaner. The top of the carb is 2.75" wide. Does anyone know if a 521 or 620 air cleaner would fit that diameter? I could also cut the little metal tabs off the inside of my 320 air cleaner and I think the outer clamping collar would fit. I'm just nervous to hack at my only 320 air cleaner. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a nice 320 air cleaner off of Los Angeles Craigslist for $30. The guy selling was super nice and let me pay him with PayPal and shipped it out. He's got a few other things if anyone's interested: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/d/datsun-parts/6351639199.html

I'm still taking off trim and I took apart my door latch inside the door to get to a trim nut I couldn't reach otherwise. After I put it back together if works but I have to slam the shit out of the door to get it to shut right. The door lock and inside/outside handles all work it just doesn't shut completely without force. 

Is there a way to adjust the latch? Is there an easy fix I'm missing?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I had baby #2 so the project has slowed down but today I hooked up an uncut 320 air cleaner I scored. I'm running a J15 motor and J15 carb but was able to use an exhaust adapter to go from the 2.75 carb opening to the 2.5 air cleaner opening. It bumps the whole assemble up a little but it clears the hood no sweat. 

new_aircleaner.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the stainless exhaust adapter I cut down and used to fit a stock 320 air cleaner to a J15 carburetor. And below it is a pic of my new air cleaner all cleaned up. Inside the housing the paint was in great shape so I cleaned it up and had the local auto paint store use their magic camera to do a paint match and mix it in a rattle can. I sanded the housing down, gave it a handful of coats and there you go. Oh and I cut a new piece of rubber into a new rubber boot where it clamps down. And I wire brushed up the clamp arm.

35l94li.jpg

33yjrk3.jpg

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I'm back at it... Motor and tranny out, bed off, dash and windshield out. Lights out, trim off... Getting it stripped down for paint. 

I cracked my windshield a little taking it out but I've got a local glass guy that thinks he can cut me a copy out of a modern windshield.

• Like 1

Seems like that'd just be a recipe for getting chipped up to shit. I've got the original bed chains and there's def no OG paint on them. They just have a light rust patina.

Any suggestions on what to do with the chains for a stock look? Powder coating to match the truck color?  Zinc plating? Black chassis paint?

• Like 1

Most truck drivers do not like hearing the chains rattle around in the bed so they put water hose or clear hose over the chain so it doesn't hit metal and make noise.

OK, I have 2 different 521 chains, one has red on the hooks on each end but nothing on the chain links, the other one has blue on the hooks on each end and has very little blue left on a few of the links, but it could have been painted by the owner of the truck at some point.

If you do not want to paint them then I would find some galvanized chain and use that, at least it will not rust right away and stain the bed below it.

• Like 3

I believe they were zinc plated originally.  I have some originals but can't remember exactly how they look.  They had clear tubing over them to prevent clanking/rattling and damage.  Currently I'm using black bicycle tube(ing) over mine, with a hole punched in the middle bottom to prevent holding water in the folded/upright position.

• Like 3

I second the plating, though I'm not sure if it was zinc. They had a dull sheen, not the shiny zinc you see on most hardware these days.

I got some chains for my CJ5 restoration project recently that were vinyl wrapped in the original Jeep fashion. You could probably use these chains or have an upholstery shop wrap them for you - https://www.kaiserwillys.com/replacement-tailgate-chains-with-cloth-covering-fits-46-71-cj-2a-3a-3b-5-truck?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_dvkmfTW3gIVlIqzCh13Ew1yEAQYASABEgIG0PD_BwE

• Like 2