New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe looking at Lucas parts I'll be able to find the right points? 

Also, Distributorguy I know you're not a fan of the PerTronix 1741 because of lost horsepower but for a guy who's not good with points and is basically building a grocery getter maybe it's something I should look into? 

Does it look like the PerTronix would work for the distributor below? When I took it apart is was in rough shape--frayed wires and a little home made insulator ship stuffed in to prevent it from grounding. 

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

• Like 2

I think I found the correct points on Ebay listed at 1962-1964 Datsun points, which might make sense why all the points listed for J15 motors are different. Maybe it's the original 320 distributor installed on the later J15 motor? I'm pretty sure the generator, starter, and carb are all older than the J15 so it might make sense. 

I'm still interested in the Pertronix conversion if it's simple to do and fits my distributor. Any thoughts?

YkiZdRw.jpg

• Like 2

Let me start by saying I hate 320 distributors!!!

I used a Pertronix EI in one of my 320s a while back, but in the end I gave up on it as it got too expensive, I suppose now that I got it running I could go back, but it is running so I don't care right now, it's not on the top ten list.

Keep in mind, they do not make one for the 320 distributor, so you have to modify one of their units for it to work in a 320 distributor, then it cannot be taken back if you smoke it like I smoked two of them, the reason I smoked them was because I was using alligator clips to power the unit while trying to get the engine to run, and if I didn't make the connection the first attempt and double clicked it by accident, it smoked the unit, you cannot turn the ignition on and off fast enough to smoke it, well I don't think you can, by the way did I mention I hat 320 distributors? 

OK, this is what I used/did, I used the Pertronix 1741 unit, by the way, this is a one way trip, you have to modify your distributor to fit the Pertronix unit.

DSCN6337_zps3agvypum.jpg

This is what is in the package, I only used the unit and shaft magnet, I didn't use the cover.

DSCN6336_zpsl3wmfmfr.jpg

I don't recall anymore what had to be cut off on the distributor plate, but something was sticking up that had to be cut, and the Pertronix plate has to have a hole drilled, and a couple areas have to be ground/cut off to clear cap mount screw and vacuum advance arm connection, when the hole is drilled you have to put the shaft magnet on the shaft, then mount the Pertronix plate using the screw near the vacuum advance arm connection, then a 0,030 feeler gauge needs to be put between the magnet and the unit, then the other screw hole position needs to be marked and then it needs to be removed and drilled, then put it back in and check gap, if good you are done.

DSCN6331_zps868qmgml.jpg

You can see in the photo below how I drilled the hole a little off, and had to oval the hole to mount the plate.

DSCN6330_zpsh4faplrh.jpg

I had the engine started and running several times using this, but smoked my second unit and gave up on it, finally got a points distributor working and have left it alone since.

The timing pointer is at the top of the front pulley in a place that is hard to see, I would only do this to an extra distributor, as I said it is a one way trip.

Timing is not an issue, as these 320 distributors are very adjustable, they can be turned 360 degrees, the plate has to be mounted properly though with the correct gap, putting the shaft magnet on is a bitch, it doesn't go on easy, and it doesn't come off after put on without ruining it 50 percent of the time.

Also Mike Klotz used a modified Matchbox distibutor in his NL320 before he sold it to me, he describes how to make one on the first page of his NL320 thread, I could not do this because my U320 is RHD and clearance is an issue, I have to have the wires come out the side of the cap, so that is why I tried the Pertronix unit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvw8yp9r_RAhVEz1QKHUM9DtwQFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.ratsun.net%2Ftopic%2F393-mklotz70-nl320%2F&usg=AFQjCNFHWHedMC-0fivmihQBfdSTvNBPgg&sig2=AK9LBoyeljVJVDFSjG_M4Q

DSCN6338_zpsgi2jrift.jpg

We got the rebuilt J15 bolted back in and married to the transmission but ran into a problem with the distributor. The J15 replacement points that came with the tune up kit doesn't fit the distributor. Check out the picture, the original points are above the plate sits on a pin. The replacement J15 points are pictured towards the bottom and there's not slot for the pin to sit in and the hole pattern is wrong.

IMG_1776.jpg

Does anyone recognize the original points? Is time to maybe convert to this? https://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-1741-Ignitor-Datsun-Cylinder/dp/B000N2XORG

The lower points in the photo look like A series points like the ones in this ebay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-1200-Contact-Point-A12-A14-A15-For-NISSAN-B110-B210-B310-B120-/142239001236?hash=item211e1aea94:g:52UAAOSw2xRYcvMn&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

Points will always outperform Pertronix in a good distributor.  Always.  In a worn distributor (which should be repaired) Pertronix will mask dwell issues - at least until they allow the distributor to destroy itself.  After years of people expecting me to be Pertronix customer support (because their own customer support is the worst in the industry) I've lost any interest in helping with them.  Besides, the dyno tells the truth.  Points are better.  

Points will always outperform Pertronix in a good distributor.  Always.  In a worn distributor (which should be repaired) Pertronix will mask dwell issues - at least until they allow the distributor to destroy itself.  After years of people expecting me to be Pertronix customer support (because their own customer support is the worst in the industry) I've lost any interest in helping with them.  Besides, the dyno tells the truth.  Points are better.  

Thanks Distributor guy, good info. Since I found the right points on Ebay I plan on putting it back stock. 

Another thing I'm a little worried about is the back side of the plate the points attach to. I pulled off the retaining ring and it looks like there's a little insulator that goes in between a couple of the rings pinned in by those spring clips that's almost totally deteriorated. And when I put it back together I'm not sure I put it all back right. Here's a pic of the part I'm talking about:

IMG_1781.jpg

Points may be better for HP, but I still rely on Pertronix. They do have very specific ohm requirements, but since I have started following their guidelines (re- ohms), I have yet to have one fail. I've been using them without fail for 20 years now.

Why don't you send the distributor to distributorguy and have him go through it? I'm sure whatever he does will be top notch. And if he says to run points, then that's fine with me.

I think I've got the correct points on their way so I'm going to take shot at putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. I'd like to get a little more comfortable with distributors and points so I'll read up and fiddle with it for a while and see if I can get it right. 

As a backup plan, any thoughts on an electronic distributor replacement for the Hitachi? This one runs about $100 says it fits the Nissan J15 after a gear swap: 

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS-HIT4-Distributor.htm

HS-HIT4%20Distributor%20Side%20View%201.

They put the "dash" in the wrong place on the part number for that distributor.  They should move it one character to the left.  Horrible copy of a Hitachi distributor.  Put your $100 toward something useful, like getting the mechanical advance mechanism in YOUR distributor repaired so your timing is at least somewhere int he ballpark.  

• Like 2

Here's some before/after pics of my engine bay and rebuilt J15 dropped back in after an ungodly amount of wire brushing, Simple Green, and power washing. I painted the engine bay stock Datsun light grey from a 1960s Datsun color chart. I'm waiting on a gasket set for my carb and need to put new points in the dizzy then she's ready to fire! 

16gxv8i.jpg

2hwfiwm.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

• Like 2

I found the correct points on eBay but the cap, rotor, condenser, and plugs I ordered don't fit even though the  parts were listed as correct. Does anyone know part numbers or a potential source for the right distributor parts? Here's a picture of my Hitachi distributor body and rotor:

IMG_1880.jpg

A J15 replacement makes sense for the long run. This one looks close but I'm not sure the bracket that attaches it to the motor and adjusts the timing would fit:

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/distributor/cardone-reman-distributor/769265_276722_0?checkfit=true

I think I might see if my local Autozone can order it so I can go do a side-by-side before I buy it. 

A J15 replacement makes sense for the long run. This one looks close but I'm not sure the bracket that attaches it to the motor and adjusts the timing would fit:

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/distributor/cardone-reman-distributor/769265_276722_0?checkfit=true

I think I might see if my local Autozone can order it so I can go do a side-by-side before I buy it. 

I have one of these, it appears to be basically the same in some respects, the shaft is around 1 1/16th inches across, so it should fit in the hole in the block, it actually drops into the block slightly over 2 1/2 inches while the 320 distributor drops in slightly under 2 1/2 inches, so it might possibly need a 1/16th inch shim, maybe.

The timing is another issue, the 320 dist. is adjustable 360 degrees while the one in the link is not as adjustable, but I am sure it's adjustable enough to work.

The 320 distributors are positive ground, while the one above is likely negative ground, but I don't think it cares as long as the wires are oriented correctly, the condenser is on the outside which is a plus to me, but you will need the mount plate to use it, it doesn't show one in any of the photos, but the bolt pointing down holding the mount plate on the distributor might be an issue, I don't have a E1 block to test fit it that I want to pull the distributor out of, but since you have a J15, it might be what you need.

EDIT

I have a J15 out back that I just looked at, mine has 2 pieces of mount hardware that the distributor in the link above doesn't have, but it looks like it will bolt right in with the mount hardware, I will take a photo and ad it to this post.

J block distributor

DSCN6356_zpsk2iiolrk.jpg

You can see both the thin and thick mount plates below.

DSCN6357_zpslrwjtnvd.jpg

Thanks Wayno, great info! This is what my mount plate looks like. It sits and tightens down on a little collar above the top of the shaft. I'm worried the one in the link doesn't have that little ledge the mount tightens on. 

IMG_1883.jpg

This electronic distributor looks like a close match--the gear at the bottom looks like a match and mount plate looks similar. Also it's for old MGs and Austins so I'm wondering if it might be a close match to the 320:

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS45D4-Distributor.htm

The J block dist. doesn't have the ledge, as a matter of fact, the J dist. bottom is too small around and the 320 mount bracket will not even get tight, I have both right in front of me, and that lower mount bolt on the J dist. will also get in the way, as I thought about what you just mentioned.

You would need the J15 mount hardware, maybe a J13 distributor has what you need also.

DSCN6363_zpsjezozksy.jpg