New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

I have done this to my 320, I used the 620 rear wheel cylinder/banjo bolt using stock 320 banjo fitting/copper washers.

Yes, there is a banjo fitting on the 320, thank you guys for pointing that out. In that case, you should still be able to use the 320 banjo fitting, but you will need a metric banjo bolt to fit it to the 620 wheel cylinder.

I think I have a few of those banjo fittings left over. If I can find one, I'll snap a pic later today.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone's looking for break hoses these came off the shelf at Napa (part number 16766)  and are a perfect fit:

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search?text=UP%2016766

They're not listed in the NAPA computers for Nissan/Datsun but my little brother went in the back and rummaged through boxes and found them. We tried them out today and they're a dead ringer. 

• Like 2

The rear hose is 18" and the fronts are about 12". The listed hose above is 16" and fits both front/rear but there is an 18" hose off the shelf from NAPA as well. My brother picked one up today and I'll post up the part number tomorrow. 

The computer systems in auto parts stores suck terribly. Unless you've got someone at the counter that knows cars, which almost never happens, you're sunk. 

• Like 3

If you have an older parts store in the area, they sometimes have old catalogs for the major manufacturers that list hoses by length and fittings on each end. Sometimes you can find what you need in one of these. The modern chain stores, all too often, (not all) have a kid on a computer that doesn't know a Datsun from a Deusenberg.  Brad at hosestop@msn.com (member on here in So. Cal) made a perfect replacement clutch hose for our 320 about a year ago at a super reasonable price..

Steve 

• Like 3

The computer systems in auto parts stores suck terribly. Unless you've got someone at the counter that knows cars, which almost never happens, you're sunk. 

I was in the local NAPA a few weeks ago, looking for an obscure part, and the person was fumbling the search. I asked her if she ever uses the internet to help her search. She said the store operators don't allow them to access the internet while at work.

I can see the logic behind that, but when a customer standing in line can pull up the correct part number on their iphone, before the employee gives up, it's pretty clear to me that their system sucks, and that the store managers should allow the counter clerks to utilize the internet if they need to.

• Like 1

There are a large number of potential legal liabilities that come up with open internet access in a work place. Lots of places simply prefer to not have to deal with those, even if it potentially affects customers. And frankly most customers who ever think parts guys should use more internet are also capable of using the internet and giving the parts guy info to interchange or cross reference.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any spare 320 parts? I'd be interested in purchasing a pressure tested radiator, tail light and turn signal lenses, and front parking light lenses. 

The project is coming along slowly. Got the truck running and driving with functioning breaks but a pinhole appeared in the radiator. On further inspection it has some old repairs on it. 

• Like 1

Find some more shops or take it to Mexico.  The prices you are being quoted should be for a complete re-core.  The 2 shops are trying to bend you over.  I get radiaters done in Cashion AZ for a lot cheaper than that for clean rad and repair.  I have been using the same radiator shop since the 70's.

Keep shopping around.

• Like 1

It has normally been costing me around $300.00 for a three row re-core on my 521 radiators, never took a 320 radiator in, seems like it would be slightly cheaper for a 2 row, but I would not expect it to be much cheaper than the $300.00, labor is likely about the same, I expect the core itself would only be slightly cheaper.

I take mine to a local company that has been around for several decades(50/60 years, maybe more).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick project update... I'm having my radiator recored and should get it back in the next couple days. Next up I'm installing seat belts and I think I'm going to have the bench seat rebuilt/upholstered so it's comfortable to cruise around it. 

I'd like to go as stock as possible so if anyone has pictures of 320 bench seats they like I'd love to take a look. I'd also love to hear fabric suggestions. Was the seat originally vinyl?

Last question--I saw this paint chart on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1971-DATSUN-PAINT-CHIPS-6671D2-/282095806579?hash=item41ae386873:g:MeMAAOSwQItT2VrI&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true 

Does anyone know of an online version or might it be worth purchasing? My truck looks like it was originally red but since there's no VIN paint code on it and the previous owner covered it in 32,000 coats of primer I think I'm going to do a color switch for another stock Datsun color. I kind of like the light greens and light greys. 

• Like 1
For some reason I couldn't get pics to upload but I think I've got it straightened out. 

I pulled out my bench seat that had a sheepskin cover over a bunch of foam scraps and uncovered remnants of what I assume was the original upholstery. It's grey-green vinyl over metal springs and horsehair. Below is a swatch of the unexposed green vinyl that was overlapped on the inside of the seat back. I like the green color and might try to match it. I also like the way the side transitions into the top at the seat shoulder and will keep that detail. 

5Fz6tt.jpg

kPnY41.jpg

Sl0wxI.jpg

• Like 1

Super fun! Thanks for the link to the manuals.

Stuffed in the seat back for padding were a couple of t-shirts including an old San Manuel-Mammoth basketball shirt. San Manuel is a tiny little nowhere mining town in S. AZ, north of Tucson. Maybe the truck lived there for a while?

The seat was just sitting in the cab not bolted down and when I pulled it out I discovered the passenger side bracket that the seat bolts to is missing. I'll do a little digging to see if I can turn one up but if not it looks easy enough to recreate. 

• Like 1

Getting the seat rebuilt/upholstered as we speak--thanks to Wayno for pics and inspiration. 

I just posted a WTB ad for a seat a passenger side seat bracket (where the seat bolts to the floor): http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/7628-wtb-320-seat-bracket/

Does anyone out there have a parts truck they'd be willing to pull one out of for me?

• Like 1