• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

320-front-suspension-copy.jpg

I pulled off my cab and I'm getting ready to start work on my front suspension. Any suggestions or recommendations? Will any 521 or 620 parts work?

Serial # right behind clutch hose bracket at center left.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

Wow great info! Merlin Blackwell mentioned he thought 521 idler arms swap in. Can anyone confirm?

Yes 521 idler arms swap in, but if yours is good and your keeping your stock engine, keep your idler arm, maybe your idler arm can be rebuilt if it needs it.

I swapped a 521 idler arm in my 1965 Datsun L320 when I put an A series engine/5spd in it as there was no room for that giant 320 idler arm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just looked at the number I have for the aftermarket "fuel neck grommet" for the L320, I searched it and lost my breath at the price they had for it.

Steele Rubber Products" part#70-2203-39

Ralleye has them for $23.02, but you would have to call them to see if they are the correct size, Roadsters and L320 trucks share a lot of parts.

174-03

GROMMET, fuel filler outer, behind Gas Cap ..NI

$23.02

I would also check out the local hardware store in there rubber section, if they have something I bet it is $10.00 or less.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I'm kind of on the fence about it. Mine is working properly but the chrome is a little pitted. Also there's that chrome trim around the wing window  that I can't get to unless the glass comes out.

I crossed the bridge long ago of taking everything apart so part of me just says go all the way. It's a sickness.

• Like 3

I would not mess with it until you find something in better shape.

You can see mine in the photos I posted, it is not in that good of shape either, the reason it is out is because that guy that is in the rubber business needed a button, so hoping it would help us get wing window rubber I sold him what he needed for cheap, he got the parts and sold his 320 soon after that, when I inquired about the wing window gaskets a little later he said his China connections were not interested in making them, so now I am not so interested in selling hard to find 320 parts anymore that I can likely use myself, especially good parts that are better than what are on my 320s now.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

All 320 wing window handles are locking, it appears that the 520 and early 521 have non-locking handles, I have a 1970 Datsun 521 door with the sheet metal shaped for a door pull but it doesn't have the door lock pull that has a locking wingwindow handle, my 71 Datsin 521 work truck also has a locking wing window handle and it has the door lock pull.

So it appears that all the 520s and the 68/69 Datsun 521 have non-locking wing window handles.

I know nothing about the 620s, since this is a 320 thread I suspect that you meant 320 instead of 620.

18 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Wayno, are the 620 and the 65/66 520 (non locking) wing window handles the same?

620 American market pickups didn't have wing windows. Some 620's sold in tropical climates (Central/South America, Carribean, etc.) did have wing windows. I have considered finding a set of Tropical doors and the rebuild stuff and putting away for our 78 'Longbed' 620. I really like the wing windows and wouldn't trade for air conditioning.

BMW Isetta bubble cars in late 50's - early 60's also had what was referred to as 'Tropical Doors'. The Isetta had one door which was the whole front of the car to include the windshield. The tropical doors had a vent in the center to allow the intake of air when in motion to cool the interior.

Trivia !!

Edited by difrangia
gramatical correction
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, wayno said:

All 320 wing window handles are locking, it appears that the 520 and early 521 have non-locking handles, I have a 1970 Datsun 521 door with the sheet metal shaped for a door pull but it doesn't have the door lock pull that has a locking wing window handle, my 71 Datsun 521 work truck also has a locking wing window handle and it has the door lock pull.

So it appears that all the 520s and the 68/69 Datsun 521 have non-locking wing window handles.

I know nothing about the 620s, since this is a 320 thread I suspect that you meant 320 instead of 620.

Sorry for mistyping but it looks like you new what I was meaning Thank you Wayno.

I also see the button in the one picture above.

Are the 521 locking handles different from the 320 locking handles?

I never thought about it or even noticed before, but it appears that the 320 wing window handles and the 1970ish on 521 wing window handles are the same.

It never occurred to me that they would be the same, I thought they were different and always have till now, they LOOK exactly the same, I took one out to my 1971 521 work truck and compared them with a flashlight thru the glass, I did not open the door, it is cold and wet outside.

This got me thinking so i went out to the Roadster to see if them were the same also, they are different. 

• Like 1