Troubleshooting a probably electrical issue on a 1970 510

B^2

Took the Datsun to work yesterday and had some issues that I was hoping people could help me figure out.  It's a 1970 510 with an L20B and a dog leg 5 speed.

Was coming down a slight hill and the car just lost power, I was in gear at the time but no response from the gas or switching gears.  Had to coast to a stop.  Keep in mind, my volts were showing solidly in the green at the time.  I go to restart it and the volts are not right on the edge of yellow/red.  Couldn't get the engine to catch until I used jumper cables, at which point the volts immediately go into the green.

Trouble shooting it, I know it's not the battery because I replaced it last year.  Fuel gauge shows a quarter of a tank so I don't think it's a fuel problem either.  Pretty sure it's the alternator in which case I'll need a recommendation on what to replace it with.

Cheers,

Will

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because it's new is no guarantee it's good. Never assume anything when trouble shooting.

A vehicle will easily run on a car with no alternator at all. It runs on stored power saved in the battery and can run this way for hours and hours. Only way it will quit when running is when the battery is too low to fire the plugs. Long before this it will begin to miss fire and 'act up'.

I go to restart it and the volts are not right on the edge of yellow/red.  Couldn't get the engine to catch until I used jumper cables, at which point the volts immediately go into the green.

Sounds normal. Engine not running voltage will be just the battery, around 12. Voltage jumps up as soon as engine starts spinning the alternator.

From the above can I assume you did get it running and get home.... problem is gone???

If you had poor cranking until you got a jump start two things. Your battery may have been low OR your battery terminals are dirty and it's difficult for current to flow to the cables. If this is true the alternator may also have trouble charging the battery as you drive. Jumper cables clip only to the cable ends, not the battery. Remove and thoroughly clean the terminals and the cable ends that make contact. If the problem never happens again assume this was the problem.

• Like 1

So the issue happened to me three more times on the way home which was essentially a 11mile drive.  I'd be driving with good voltage and then out of nowhere the engine would start to die.  The car itself has some funky wiring from the previous owner so I installed a quick disconnect switch on one of the battery terminals to disengage the battery when not in use.  I've got a trickle charger from when I use to have a motorcycle that should in theory tell me how charged the car battery is, my next plan is to use that to diagnose how "healthy" they battery is.

soon as it dies cheack for spark at the center coil wire from the distributor and place near ground and hit the key. should spark

then open up the carb and look see if gas is squirting when you cycle the linkage with your hand.Should see gas in main barrel being squirted.

was anything changed?

point or elelctronic ignition?

just because its a hack wire it still was working unless a loose connection

you dont kow its the battery if you killed it mutiple times and now just dont hold a charge.

• Like 1

Sounds kinda ignitor ish, next time it happens check for spark immediately. Had similar issue with a Toyota pickup, it would light up after a while or if jumped. Thing was a pain in the ass to diagnose, an old yota guy told me what to check. My 510 did it a year later(remote ignitor electronic dizzy), old cars do weird shit. Take nothing for granted and check everything.