Question: 510 & 280zx Stuts

B2Fresh

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how much lower you want to go. The limiting factor is bottoming out on a hard bump if you go too low. You can go a inch or so on your stock struts but any more you should increase the spring stiffness. Another way to do this is a strut that is already shorter to begin with... like a 280zx. 

Inch and a half?..... but as you can't use the 280zx springs, the lower perch for them must be removed anyway. Now you can use a coil over or your 510 spring perch. This means that you can set it where you like (well withing reason) You are limited by the distance left in the strut travel before it bottoms out. In most cases a stiffer spring rate is desirable (you can buy them or modify your stock spring) and this would reduce the chance of bottoming if you do go slightly lower. Stiffer spring equals less suspension travel on the same bump.

I have Maxima struts on my 710. They were about 1 1/4" shorter overall. I used my 710 coil and lower spring perch. I trimmed the spring shorter by about 1 1/2 coils but not to shorten or lower the vehicle. Never should you trim a spring to lower. Trimming the spring is to increase the spring rate only and even then never blindly trim a spring. There are simple formulas to work out how much to trim to get the rate you want. With the now shortened and stiffer springs I lowered another 1 1/2- 2" to get the ride height I wanted. To support the lower spring perch in place I used split collars. These allow you to change your ride height to get it where you want. The total cost to lower my 710 about 2 1/2-3" and make it adjustable was under $30.

• Like 1

They also have the larger wheel bearing used on most cars after the 510 and you get a much larger vented rotor and caliper that may need 14" rims to clear. The Maxima is a very close second choice and in some cases may be cheaper and easier to find as they are overlooked.  

They also have the larger wheel bearing used on most cars after the 510 and you get a much larger vented rotor and caliper that may need 14" rims to clear. The Maxima is a very close second choice and in some cases may be cheaper and easier to find as they are overlooked.

How different are the Maxima pads over ZX? I don't see there being any performance Maxima pads, so that could be a downside depending on what you're building the car for.

How different are the Maxima pads over ZX? I don't see there being any performance Maxima pads, so that could be a downside depending on what you're building the car for.

I imagine slightly smaller, certainly twice the stock tea bag size 510 pads. Not much need for 'performance' pads as the rotor/caliper/pad is lots. Stopping is limited by tire traction. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Where is a good place to get adapter brackets to put 280zx calipers & rotors on the rear of

My 510. One company I looked at said theirs is only to adapt 82-83 zx parts, is there a difference with 79-81zx? One more question right now, I know I'll need to upgrade the master cylinder, but on a 510 that's all, don't need to run a brake booster right?

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks. Where is a good place to get adapter brackets to put 280zx calipers & rotors on the rear of

My 510. One company I looked at said theirs is only to adapt 82-83 zx parts, is there a difference with 79-81zx? One more question right now, I know I'll need to upgrade the master cylinder, but on a 510 that's all, don't need to run a brake booster right?

Thanks again for the info.

Futo-fab sells the brackets: http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=171:futofab-datsun-510-rear-brake-brackets&catid=34:datsun-510-brakes&Itemid=115

And with 4 wheel discs you should get a 7/8ths master, off a Z car (260z maybe?) .. don't get a 15/16ths master off a 280ZX, and make sure the firewall bolts are vertical. You dont "need" a booster.

Those were rear brakes Len.

The fronts were all the same on the zx..

Ooops! My excuse is I was worn out from walking the Spokane car parts swap meet most of Saturday. The only thing I bought was a set of spring compressors for use with my strut swap, so fronts were on my brain.

Looking at the brake pics I thought they looked kind of strange but I was too lazy to walk out to the shed and look at the ZX ones I have.

Len