My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soak the bolts with PB blaster, let it set for 15 minutes, soak again and wait another 20 minutes, then try, if no luck then grab a handheld torch, get the bolts red hot, shoot wd40 on it (avoid open flames) try turning it, repeat, that used to work for my dad and I when working on old tractors that had been weathered, won't hurt to try it ;)

• Like 1

The rear roll pan is pretty hammered and I can barely even get a wrench in there. Even double wrenching with large wrenches, the bolts are 3/4, they won't budge.

I don't want to try any straightening the roll pan until the bumper is out of the way and I can see what shape it needs to be. A torch in that area would cause a bit of damage.

Edit: PB Blaster has been sprayed already :)

• Like 3

Yesterday a bath was had. :)

IMG_1141_zpsaxqwwomn.jpg

Today I win!

IMG_1154_zpsi4cs4bma.jpg

IMG_1156_zpsgicthkiq.jpg

Sawsall solves all

IMG_1157_zpsdljdz4im.jpg

IMG_1158_zpsm0htlzyk.jpg

Found all the leaks I think.

IMG_1151_zpsvefijhqx.jpg

I tried soldering them closed but everytime I got one to seal the one next to it would open up. JB Weld for now, Will prep the new radiator for next Canby :lol:

IMG_1152_zpsrytbejul.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like you got the brackets off in one piece, but you didn't say how.

I jacked the car up as high as my jackstands would allow and used a long breaker bar and my feet on the frame :lol: 

Keep at it Redeye!  One piece at a time.

Getting there :)

• Like 2

Took it in for an alignment... still pulls to the right wtf. At least the toe is hopefully set so my tires don't get eaten.

Ordered a set of the lexus 7/16 lugnuts just to make sure the lugs are right before putting a ton of miles on it.

More pics. :)

IMG_1159_zpsrzkaqpuh.jpg

IMG_1160_zpsxrtyhnbt.jpg

IMG_1161_zpswd6toonm.jpg

IMG_1162_zpsqjvthcaf.jpg

I think the 1.5 coils set this thing down just right :cool:

• Like 5

The more I see 411's, the more I want one....wagon, sedan, doesn't matter......Just WANT.

This one looks the goods for sure.

• Like 2

Took it back in to see if something could be done about the pulling. The caster is a bit bad on one side. Unfortunatley I need longer A-arm bolts and they are mounted in an awkward place. Oh well, something to take care of for next years trip. :)

IMG_1168_zpsrad8s9zy.jpg

IMG_1167_zpsptbjqka7.jpg

Looks like the trans is still leaking from the shifter shaft and the speedo cable, but the pan seal is dry. Will address those 2 leaks later, it's leaking way less than last year :lol:

Air filter came in, fit perfect. :cool:

IMG_1169_zpsdcw7bpf2.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsbsq9aqm2.jpg

IMG_1171_zpsz442tc2e.jpg

Mr Gasket #6479 ordered off amazon.

• Like 5

Another trip to Canby successfully completed in this old goon. :cool:

Rest stop on the way down

IMG_1189_zpsxe2ollwp.jpg

At my brothers place where we stayed Fri & Sat night. I guess you could say we are a Nissan family, there is a Frontier parked behind the Pathfinder. :lol:

IMG_1193_zpsfgp460kt.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the wagon at Canby, here's one that carterb got though. Thanks :D

large.593ea9b865a5c_06102017Canby(180).J

Sunday we decided on sightseeing instead of heading back to Canby from Vancouver.

Stopping for Ice Cream at the last gas station on HWY 504

IMG_1381_zpskdcjjdfq.jpg

IMG_1383_zpsanvmupqa.jpg

IMG_1384_zps7oi4ii5p.jpg

Next stop at the Mt St Helens Viewpoint Museum.

IMG_1387_zpsmxjchubz.jpg

IMG_1412_zps9qgwjbqu.jpg

Then up to the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument Johnston Ridge Observatory. It was a bit overcast, but still very impressive.

IMG_1426_zpsodtouwa9.jpg

IMG_1430_zpsznrw0jqa.jpg

IMG_1436_zpszrlsxlbm.jpg

Stopping at Coldwater Lake on the way back out.

IMG_1455_zpsi6l9cxws.jpg

IMG_1457_zpsaq6bujbb.jpg

IMG_1459_zpspuopz2ry.jpg

IMG_1481_zpsnrnz4fc3.jpg

IMG_1501_zpsgrahrn45.jpg

IMG_1502_zpsbrt1vpeq.jpg

2nd worst WA rest stop lol

IMG_1515_zps6rtvoi7e.jpg

...and back home before being parked back in the garage :)

IMG_1520_zpsjg9jljjo.jpg

• Like 6

That would have been cool, thinking of doing it again next year or maybe a trip up there later this summer.. 

It really put the trip over the top and we decided we would do it at about 10am just before we left so super last minute lol. 

• Like 2

Cruises just fine. It will sit at 70 on the freeway (when the right lugs are installed). I had to manually down shift to 2nd when climbing the steeper parts of HWY 504 up to Mt St Helens. When you mash the pedal all the way to the floor it drops gears just like it should, but it is hard to maintain a gear with the pedal. 

When I got home the correct lug nuts were waiting for me. The first style I got were not quite the right fit so I had a bit of a shimmy.  

It actually drives so easy my 9 yr old grandaughter could probably drive it around no problem :)

• Like 4