My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See,,  that rolls off the tongue as smoothly as a 19 year old college girl

I agree with this part... :)

Brakes actually need a certain amount of heat build up to be fully effective.  It's also a challenge finding a caliper with the e-brake that will fit over the wider vented rotors.  

• Like 1

Far as I am concerned the back rotors can be non vented in most applications as the fronts do most the stopping.  Rear vented rotors ar e a nice upgrade but if all you can come up with is non vented rotors with the e brake braket then I willl use those as I wan to stay with 14' wheels with dog dishes.

Just remember!  Ingenuity and patience will come up with a real world solution!  That and rat's nesting every part you replace so that it can be rebuilt when Renault thinks that you don't matter anymore. I have saved every original 1967 RL411 part that I have had to replace for the last 49 years so that I could restore my car to "as delivered" configuration, down to the original spark plugs, their  numbered wire harness, distributor cap, and yes even the original distributor rotor.  No, I did not save the original oil change drippings.  But I do have the original spark plugs.  Talk about authenticity!!!

I have been saving every part taken off, every extra part that came with the car and all the parts I've purchased, even if it is newer metric stuff that I won't be using. I think I am up to 3 cracked up exhaust manifolds. :lol: 

Far as I am concerned the back rotors can be non vented in most applications as the fronts do most the stopping.  Rear vented rotors ar e a nice upgrade but if all you can come up with is non vented rotors with the e brake braket then I willl use those as I wan to stay with 14' wheels with dog dishes.

They will be non vented. Not sure if they will work with 14"s but I think if the fronts do the rears might. Maybe they will let me take a wheel into picknpull :lol: 

Trying for part parity, if all the brake parts (except that tiny master) come from the same car ordering replacement stuff is easy.

• Like 1

I have been saving every part taken off, every extra part that came with the car and all the parts I've purchased, even if it is newer metric stuff that I won't be using. I think I am up to 3 cracked up exhaust manifolds. :lol:

They will be non vented. Not sure if they will work with 14"s but I think if the fronts do the rears might. Maybe they will let me take a wheel into picknpull :lol: 

Trying for part parity, if all the brake parts (except that tiny master) come from the same car ordering replacement stuff is easy.

Come on Redeye you want ease of ordering parts with a Datsun!!!  LOL

• Like 2

Holy shit Red.... you could seriously just engineer your own car at this point.

I'd LOVE to see what kind of a ratrod you could churn out.

Maybe someday, I already have way too many projects :lol: 

Come on Redeye you want ease of ordering parts with a Datsun!!!  LOL

I said "try" :rofl: 

• Like 1

Very nice!

After seeing your progress I decided to try to make some. I trolled THE F*** out of this forum until I figured out why my carb wasn't working, only to find A LOT of other problems thanks to gato.

My attempt at upholstery failed... epically... so I'll be taking my seat into a pro soon. Yours came out very well.

• Like 2

Spring adjustment

IMG_9798_zpsvvv3tidt.jpg

PO latch setup. Not using this bit.

IMG_9796_zpsu3etjb7y.jpg

IMG_9797_zpsrrw40x6i.jpg

IMG_9808_zpsfwfhbe8h.jpg

WTF is this shit?? Found it while bolting the seats back in. Anyone know if this is stock? I'm assuming not? :rofl:

IMG_9799_zpspxpynxcz.jpg

IMG_9800_zpskcicai4q.jpg

IMG_9802_zpsocnyll5c.jpg

IMG_9803_zpscjf8xyar.jpg

IMG_9804_zpsvmpcqxjb.jpg

Oh ya seats. :lol:

IMG_9805_zpscrbey5s5.jpg

I still need to adjust the latches some more on the back seat but that can wait until it's on the ground and has some easier access.

...and found this stock vinyl under the tweed. The adhesive is pretty nasty, but I will see if I can get the stock door panels unwrapped and duplicated in the new seat material. .

IMG_9809_zpsf4kgsmgq.jpg

• Like 5

2eDeYe" post="1484656" timestamp="1493682119"]

WTF is this shit?? Found it while bolting the seats back in. Anyone know if this is stock? I'm assuming not? :rofl:

IMG_9799_zpspxpynxcz.jpg

IMG_9800_zpskcicai4q.jpg

IMG_9802_zpsocnyll5c.jpg

Dafuq???????

Ghetto aftermarket Ebrake cable tension setup methinks!

EWWWWWWWWW..........

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nanners.

The rear brakes a super simple on these.

The adjuster is a 1/4" square drive.

IMG_1095_zpsymkh4vbu.jpg

Tool to turn said adjusters.

IMG_1097_zpsyzjlqnu5.jpg

IMG_1098_zpsqnnyggni.jpg

Old grossness

IMG_1094_zps5e6gmqo5.jpg

NIB.

IMG_1092_zpsus6xglfv.jpg

Lovely

IMG_1096_zpshngtezxm.jpg

I had my grand kid pump the brakes. She thought it was pretty cool how the pedal got more feel as each wheel got bled. :)

So brakes are done, parking brake even works as it should. Need to swap in some new tune up parts, add fluids to the trans and change the oil. Last thing it will need is an alignment and it's Canby ready.

• Like 6

Anyone know what the original oil pan bolt thread is? :sick:

IMG_1109_zpsjmawnbts.jpg

I picked up a 3/4-10 which seemed closest to the one I removed but it won't thread at all. I just glued the one I pulled in with the right stuff for now. :lol:

IMG_1110_zpsxhzovoo2.jpg

Ordered a 10" dia 2" tall air filter from Mr Gasket. Hopefully will be early this week.

IMG_1112_zpsdj4ygjds.jpg

....and changing the oil filter was fun. The strap wrench saved me, although I still had to pull off the filter mount to make sure no chunks of filter were in it.

IMG_1117_zps0w2ceay2.jpg

IMG_1119_zpsyqyqebbc.jpg

IMG_1120_zpsldgslzxa.jpg

IMG_1121_zpsonyx3bxg.jpg

All back together and running.

IMG_1122_zpsjskjk6ik.jpg

and the ride height is nice and leveled out now. :cool:

IMG_1124_zpsafeskwjy.jpg

IMG_1125_zpszzmokdhg.jpg

IMG_1127_zpsn574kldy.jpg

IMG_1130_zpsj2vwdrww.jpg

I think that rear bumper will be falling off today :lol:

• Like 6

Call Rallye out in Graham (i think),,,...   they would probably know, now whether they will tell you is another story .. They most likely sell one but their  prices are "roadster" prices.

I get this as contact

1-360-893-4200

PO box 367 Graham WA 

Not sure if they are even a "thing" anymore though ..

• Like 4

A dude on 311.org said he used Mercedes plug but didn't specify which one,, so that really helped :rofl:  :rofl:   .311.org is where i get quite a bit of my 411 info to be honest,  but you have to be member to see alot of it.

:ninja:

• Like 4

The original oil pan bolt is an SAE, but of a weird type.  I believe it is 5/8 but SAE Semi Finished thread!  It is basically a non tapered pipe thread.  I stripped out the helicoil insert on my oil pan and had zero response to getting a replacement, so drilled the hole out. inserted a Ford 18 Millimeter spark plug "saver" which has a flat mating surface not a tapered one like the standard saver, and bought a Toyota 18 mm pan bolt.

• Like 2