My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My original RL411 sedan came with grey wheels and the "dog dish" clips even though the RL411 was factory equipped with full "Port hole" 1500 roadster type full wheel cover discs. For what it's worth, I have a full set of the 13 inch 310 roadster, or FWD 310, sedan wheels,  No dog dish clips, so likely roadster, but don't know what versions finally descended on the FWD 310 series.

Hopefully the other 2 I unloaded into storage are like the red ones. I wasn't really paying attention, was to excited to empty the car and get it home. :D

FYI, asked the same question on the Roadster forum and was sent this link:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Lexus_OEM_Style_Mag_Lug_Nuts_7_16_p/5001t.htm

Identical to the stock 280ZX/300ZX lug nuts, except they are 311/411 thread pitch.   :thumbup:

Nice, you can see how those will barely enter the bore as well. If I have any issues with these at least I have an alternative. Thanks :)

I have one of those exhaust manifolds. Man I miss my 411.

Plan to keep this one, the grandaughter is 8 years old though, so I probably have another 8 before she wants it. :lol: 

What kind of shape is the manifold in? Interested in selling it? 

So choice.

IMG_3314_zpsgak9sig9.jpg

IMG_3315_zps142asitc.jpg

Shoulder through the washer

IMG_3316_zpsrz4ip3ig.jpg

I would get the ones Datsunfreak linked before getting these ever again. Same part number has different end designs. :no:

IMG_3320_zpswwmcxows.jpg

Hard to see but about 1/4" past the counterbore, On average I counted 6 full turns by hand before having to use the ratchet.

IMG_3322_zpsl3pkiqnh.jpg

Front required a modification, nothing crazy.

IMG_3323_zps6lom1egp.jpg

IMG_3324_zpsv7nru0vu.jpg

IMG_3327_zpsono6u2k0.jpg

IMG_3333_zpswevtgtgx.jpg

IMG_3335_zpseg2ijibz.jpg

IMG_3326_zps5qmq6yme.jpg

for some reason this doesn't fit in there like it should. Probably too big a tire, will have to fix that. :)

IMG_3336_zpssevbceko.jpg

• Like 11

Hard to see but about 1/4" past the counterbore, On average I counted 6 full turns by hand before having to use the ratchet. 

Best case scenario is to have at least as much thread engagement as the thickness of the stud. So with a 7/16-20 stud, that means 20 turns per inch, or you need at least 8 turns before it gets tight. 

But I'm also inclined to say that if you don't drive the car super hard, it might be moot...

Worst case scenario, a wheel falls off...   :rofl:

• Like 3

Best case scenario is to have at least as much thread engagement as the thickness of the stud. So with a 7/16-20 stud, that means 20 turns per inch, or you need at least 8 turns before it gets tight. 

But I'm also inclined to say that if you don't drive the car super hard, it might be moot...

Worst case scenario, a wheel falls off...   :rofl:

I'll keep an eye on them, always tend to check lugs on new wheels a lot before I trust them. 

Gonna try and get a matching set of lugs from Oriellys, need 6 to make a complete set with the ones the ordered for me. Will see if a longer shouldered lug nut will work with the centering washers. Got a ways to go in the bore before bottoming out. 

Choice as fuck! Damn that totally changes the car! Looks badass

Oh, and what he said. It does look dope.  :thumbup:

Thanks as well. 

It's funny, these wheels went to one of the most notorious wheeling areas around, Reiter Pit where we finally called The Celica retired. Not to mention all the fire road, backwoods jumping sessions we had with that car. I never thought they would be able to look so nice, surprised the shit out of me. :lol:  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. 

I got some parts in. New lens cover and a few extra bulbs from Tana, thanks a bunch.

IMG_3436_zpsiexnnn4f.jpg

IMG_3439_zpsefonigsa.jpg

Of course now I have to troubleshoot as it doesn't work :lol:

Transmisson filter came in to so I will be able to reseal the pan and swap in a new shift cable...if/when I find one of those.

• Like 3

2eDeYe" post="1402316" timestamp="1468798168"]

Thanks. 

I got some parts in. New lens cover and a few extra bulbs from Tana, thanks a bunch.

IMG_3436_zpsiexnnn4f.jpg

IMG_3439_zpsefonigsa.jpg

Of course now I have to troubleshoot as it doesn't work :lol:

Transmisson filter came in to so I will be able to reseal the pan and swap in a new shift cable...if/when I find one of those.

Be aware that most parts houses don't know the difference between the RL411 and EARLY 510 British Borg Warner and the late 510 Muncie Indiana Borg Warner transmission!  Check the gasket profile right now, and if wrong do an exchange before the exchange deadline passes.  Buried in the drive train series I give a part number of a SAAB [as I recall] transmission gasket set that really fits since the British Borg Warner is still produced for European cars.  Complete rebuild kits for the British Borg Warner automatic transmissions are still available.

• Like 2

Shift cables are a real problem!  The factory advice is never lubricate them!  Setting the right "distance" on the cable is to my best advice to be left to a pro transmission mechanic if you replace the original cable or transmission since it controls the transmission down shift.

• Like 2

Be aware that most parts houses don't know the difference between the RL411 and EARLY 510 British Borg Warner and the late 510 Muncie Indiana Borg Warner transmission!  Check the gasket profile right now, and if wrong do an exchange before the exchange deadline passes.  Buried in the drive train series I give a part number of a SAAB [as I recall] transmission gasket set that really fits since the British Borg Warner is still produced for European cars.  Complete rebuild kits for the British Borg Warner automatic transmissions are still available.

My research pointed to a 74 Volvo. Pan gasket looks right at a glance, but I haven't done a direct comparison yet. I really only want it for the filter anyways, cork gaskets are not on my list of effective gasket material. :lol: 

I may end up ordering a complete seal kit depending on what I find when I get into it. It does like to dump trans fluid everywhere. 

Shift cables are a real problem!  The factory advice is never lubricate them!  Setting the right "distance" on the cable is to my best advice to be left to a pro transmission mechanic if you replace the original cable or transmission since it controls the transmission down shift.

Raceneely may have one for me. If all else fails I will get a new one made, although it would be nice to have one on hand when I remove the old one.

I'm not too concerned about the adjustment, I've dealt with an auto or 3 in the past. :)

Oh wow....those rims look....terrific, man :thumbup:

Thanks man :D

• Like 2

AZHitman had his automatic rebuilt and had trouble finding the cable.  He changed it out to a five speed.

I can have one made I am fairly sure. If not, it will be getting KA as the car will stay an automatic with column shift.  :)

Of course if I can't get it to hold it's fluids in, as seems to be a known issue with these transmissions, it will be getting a KA. 

So we will see, I'll do what I can to keep the stock drive train but at some point parts availability will make the decision. 

• Like 3