Sliding Rear Window - Help!?

Octane

Hello everyone. I picked up an 85 720 Std Cab Base 2.4 last year from an elderly neighbor that had been neglecting it and basically letting it rot away. I got it up and running fairly well, and have been driving it around the farm a bit. However, this brings me to my question...

When I got the truck, said neighbor (an engineer...) had apparently broken the rear window at some point and had fashioned a replacement out of some very thin plexiglass. This needed to be replaced if the truck was going to be driven on the roads. I started looking at sliding window kits online as the truck has no A/C, the more ventilation the better, right?

My father was at a local salvage yard and they happened to have a similar year truck with a sliding glass. They removed it for him and he brought it home. I finally went to install the window today with a new WBL1988 gasket, the gasket appears to be too large for the window, and no amount of pulling with string and pushing against it will make it seat in the opening with the gasket. I checked the gasket without the window installed and I can make it fit, so I do not think it is the wrong gasket. This window also has holes in the mounting flange like it took screws? I wasn't able to see the truck it was removed from.

I see that the CRL kits are designed to work with the original gasket. Were there other aftermarket kits that installed in other ways? Is this what I may have ended up with? Is it possible this is for an older truck? I believe the King Cab had a larger rear window so I don't think that's what the issue us. Any insight for me? I've searched all over the place and find very little insight into this issue.

Thanks!

The Window

tYf2Bcu.jpg

I think this should fit much more snugly?

EKXkHdj.jpg

The seal does fit the truck without the window with a little coaxing

JeGXfGm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sliding section of the window is way too small to be for a 720 or 620 and 521 is different shape all together. How close is the window when you hold it up without the gasket?

• Like 1

Interesting. I can't believe I didn't think to check the fit without the gasket. I took some measurements and additional photos. This further confirms my suspicion that it's from a different truck all together. The invoice from the salvage yard says they pulled it from a 1984, which should be the same as my truck.

This window measures 48.5" from outside of flange at the widest point. The truck opening at the bottom is 49.25" just about, so the window portion will fit inside the opening. However, fitting without the gasket I noticed the top portion of the window is too wide to fit in the opening, so it would seem this is a lost cause. It also appears to be short. The real question now would be... What is this window for? Haha.

The window frame is sitting on the pinch weld on the right side. I couldn't get the left side to cooperate.

dygb09i.jpg

The gap at the top, and the top window frame portion will not fit inside the opening. You can see the holes there which are from the previous owner's plexi window install. He put the plexi in then ran screws through the gasket, I'm assuming because the old gasket was falling apart. He was a very "make it work" sort of fellow.

UBqGmob.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies gentleman. Just wanted to give an update/closure on this issue. I appreciate the assistance!

I ended up ordering a CR Lawrence kit for the truck and got it installed yesterday. It fit without issue so I'm definitely leaning towards this being for a newer truck or another make/model entirely. I think what happened is that the salvage yard had this thing on a shelf either improperly labeled or they grabbed the wrong one. Side by side comparison with the CRL unit, it is VERY similar but the taper at the sides is different, the CRL is more arched at the top, and the slider portions are very different sizes.

GhGXJpF.jpg

• Like 2

King cab and regular cab back windows are different sizes.

I was under the impression the King Cab window was larger? I might have the measurements jumbled up in my head. I looked into that a first. My truck didn't have a window in it when I got it so that's all I had to go on.

• Like 1

If you decide you want a solid glass back window I have one for a standard cab in perfect shape. But I live in Eugene Oregon...

I'll keep that in mind, thank you, but I'm very happy with the new slider. That extra bit of air through the cab makes a huge difference on these 90 degree North Carolina summer days.

• Like 1

Standard cab window frame measurements:

Width 49-1/16" (1.25 m);

Height 12-3/4" (324 mm).

King cab window frame measurements:

Width 52-1/8" (1.32 m);

Height 14-15/16" (379 mm).

Measurements courtesy of CRL

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=1402&History=30587:21770:1336:21770:1378&pom=0

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone know what other years’ rear sliders will &it in a 1978 king cab 620?

A CH Lawrence kit has the (very close to) the right dimensions, but I can’t tell whether it has the correct radii and angles.

They are here in L.A. so I may try to bother them at the warehouse to check.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump....well, would rear windows from a 720 king cab fit in a 1978 620 king cab?  All I ever see lister are for years 1980 and on. I’ve seen earlier trucks with sliders, but information is isn’t forthcoming.  Lawrence makes a slider but they are not responsive about templates, dimensions, etc.

thanks

• Like 1
On 8/12/2018 at 11:25 AM, Gery said:

So, does anybody know the kc truck rear window size changes? 

There is no change in size other than the KC window being taller. They are the same size on all KC 620s. 

On 8/19/2018 at 2:31 PM, Gery said:

Bump....well, would rear windows from a 720 king cab fit in a 1978 620 king cab?  All I ever see lister are for years 1980 and on. I’ve seen earlier trucks with sliders, but information is isn’t forthcoming.  Lawrence makes a slider but they are not responsive about templates, dimensions, etc.

thanks

The 70 is a different profile and won't fit in the 620. You migh PM tdaaj, he's a member here with a large parts collection. I know he has sliders, but not sure if he has a KC one. He said he would check for me, maybe he will have 2? 

I'm a bit confused though about which truck you are putting the slider in. 

If you are trying to find a slider for the 720? A 1980 720 slider would fit right in. 
For a 620? You looking for a used one from what I can see. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...