Rusted Hope v2? 76' long bed 620

Hey guys, back with a 76' long bed this time, picked up locally, and just found out that this truck was always a local truck. A roseville nissan truck, with a owner that worked at Aerojet, judging from the Aerojet parking stickers and aerojet newsletter in the cab. Its a real clean and straight truck, with minor rust, only being in the rockers and battery location. Battery probably wouldnt have rusted out if the P.O's battery didnt blow up and send battery acid all over the bay. But anyway heres pics. 

IMG_20160603_134552316_zpsje8wl7ph.jpg

Just some of the history found in the truck.

IMG_20160604_114822786_TOP_zpstaogonpd.j

Anyone know what these impression cards are? Are they jokes in a way? 

IMG_20160604_114826041_zpsxjyukite.jpg

IMG_20160604_114827216_TOP_zpscc0xvtvz.j

The Newsletter page 

IMG_20160604_115001958_HDR_zpssrk3pzhg.j

Jar of candy : The candy is still wrapped up, but the actual candy contents, have literally turned to dust

IMG_20160604_114837247_zpsgdbjkola.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on CL earlier! Can't wait to see what you do. 

Yeah we hit the guy who took the truck about 20 min after posting. 

Keep that jar! Turn it into a radiator overflow or something else awesome.

Haha I wish, its plastic and its got holes all over it. But we'll see  B)

Good to see your back on it, I'll be following this build as I did with your dime :thumbup:

And thank you very much!

• Like 2

I've been having trouble trying to get the truck to run. We mocked up a gas tank, used starter fluid into the carb, and it turns over fine, but only really tried to fire off once or twice. The guy I bought the truck from replaced the spark plug wires, rotor, cap, and coil. Its got the electronic ignition coil, the firing order is correct, spark plugs do spark and are gapped and not fowled. When it does try to fire off, my dad said its sounds like a plugged exhaust. Could that lead to the car struggling to fire off? I need to feel the exhaust while the motor turns over to see if I hear or feel anything. 

• Like 1

SHE LIVES! 

Found the reason as to why the motor had problems with starting... Its a similar problem I had with my 73'.. water pump. God damn water pump was seized! We cut the Belt and it turned over like a champ and pulled fuel and ran.. And ran really well. Carburetor bowl leaks, but that't a easy problem..

So list to do: 

Clean and redo the brakes

Clutch

Clean out the gas tank and fuel lines

New hoses and shiz

Water pump and coolant cleanse

And it will be good to go! Mostly :) 

• Like 2

Just a quick update : Started cleaning out and gutting the interior, and gave the truck a real good wash and scrub. Turned out looking pretty good!

IMG_20160614_161121310_zpsjrrmpjoi.jpg

IMG_20160614_162034145_zps5upnlq8d.jpg

IMG_20160614_162042013_zpsbwirwbtv.jpg

IMG_20160612_173709229_zpsq1c9jj0u.jpg

Alot of rust signs on the cab near the rear seats, but besides that its pretty good. I will be getting more pics later on.  

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the carbs I finally received after 7 months haha. It will just need gaskets and the lower bowl hoses, and it will run like a top.

IMG_20160702_200754167_zpsdghkvz0r.jpg

Here's what my old carbs looks like.

IMG_20160711_093710500_zpshttyon7l.jpg

Burnt, bent, and smashed in. Few things I can scavenge.

Recently just last weekend I got strep throat for the first time, so I am in recovery mode and can't work on my truck. But a week before hand, I replaced the carb glass gasket that leaked, and I'm waiting on a water pump to arrive.

IMG_20160702_183031692_zpswob07twy.jpg

IMG_20160711_093810732_zpsvvxpcqrv.jpg

Yup.... that's right, that's the water pump that came off the motor. Advice to anyone buying a 35 year or older Datsun, check your water pump.

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_20160709_092918190_zpshdjyf3hn.jpg

Said goodbye to my 510 about a month ago to a guy down in San Diego. Forgot to post it. 

IMG_20160803_171642506_HDR_zps3dmb8k0c.j

Been working on getting my truck running, its just been slow progress lately. 

Drums are off and all the brakes look good, still got a good amount of life to them. Replacing all major lines, fuel, cooling and brakes. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update:

I've been cracking at it for the entire week. I want it running and driving already.

Brake lines have been flushed, Master cylinder has been replaced, as well as the hoses.

Fuel lines have been flushed and replaced

Floors are still being cleaned out and de-rusted. Rust in the floor is not too bad..

IMG_20160807_203252814_zpsfjsfx9af.jpg

I am debating if I want to go with 240z seats. The same seats from my 510. I've got a perfect spot for it, but the drivers side will be harder, due to the catalytic converter, and the floor heat shield above the cat. 

IMG_20160810_214142678_zpsaebreihg.jpg

Picked up 195/75/14's from a local tire shop... And a plus, they're white walls! I also did not want to clean up and paint my rims. It might get painted in the future, who knows. 

IMG_20160814_212802817_zpscvrqd75n.jpg

IMG_20160817_150546931_zpspghz22if.jpg

Also got the truck running again last night. And the carb is still leaking, so im gonna yank the carb out and see if we can properly fix that issue. But besides that, the motor ran strong. Here is a video to anyone that't interested. That's my dad holding the camera. Its idling high due to the choke.

• Like 1

That's looking good bro, that paint cleaned up nicely. Those white walls and a bit of loar screams Joe style.

Exactly my style. Later on I will be reindexing the torsion bars one notch, so a 2-3" drop, and put 2-3" blocks in the rear. I still want a drive-able truck that I can take on the fun runs  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update, truck is running real well. I had a charging problem with the alternator, and I had to chase the problem to every connector. Cleaned up the fusebox, voltage reg, and every charging system connector that I could find. And it magically worked ha.

I need to finish adjusting the brakes, replace diff, trans, and motor oil, flush cooling one more time, and she may be ready for her first drive.

And as much as I would love to drive it to this week's meeting, Ill need to register it back into the DMV.

Sorry for no pictures right now.

• Like 1