hi everyone

j&n's411

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We drove it for the first time in 10 years. We can tell it needs new rear leaf springs bushings and check out a small clunking in the front coming together nice though

The front end clunk is the signal that you need to get out your grease gun and lube the ball joints and the other fittings on the wishbone suspension!  Not that many have a flush fitted cap that you will need to remove and at least temporarily replace with a quarter inch zerk grease fitting in order to properly lube at least the ball joints.  Don't loose the original flush "cap bolts", you will need then unless you have enough clearance between the fittings and the wheel rims.  My RL411 has the original steel wheels and they have enough clearance to leave the ZERK FITTINGS IN PLACE.  if you have after market steel or aluminum wheels, you will likely have to remove the Zerk fittings and replace the original flush fitting cap bolts.  Good luck!  In any case, don't loose those original cap bolts!  If you don't need them, some other poor soul will!

Wow, nice find. Interesting color the previous owner or who ever chose. I see you have the notorious rust issues on the rear quarter panel. I got the same issue on mine.

I never seen anyone actually swap in a whole J15 into a 411. Although, I've got the heavy duty oil pump from one installed on my 411 because of it's better performance compared to the stock pump the R16 came with (80 psi vs 45 psi).

Keep up the hard work. I would like to see more pictures.

Yeah we know it needs grease in the front end the only thing is the car never came with the dust caps for the wheel bearing so need to find those

I'm not talking about the wheel bearing caps, although as a FREEBIE the early as in 1968 510 model caps should fit from my personal comparison of dust caps on the spare parts shelf.  I am talking about the zerk fittings on the upper and lower ball joints and most importantly to 2 transverse shafts on the upper and lower A arms!  They are universally ignored in the few front end lube jobs that the surviving 410 and 411 owners occasionally remember to service.  If they have been ignored for too long, the grease inside will have congealed to the point that home grease gun cannot generate enough pressure to dislodge the clogs, and will vent rather than fill the passage.  The solution is to get a fitting [don't remember the mfg or nomenclature] that you fill with the grease, install the accompanying piston, face up to the zerk and pound the crap out of the piston until the congealed grease pukes on your floor.  It will work!  I have been relying on one for the last of the past 20 of the 49 years that I have owned my RL411!

I'm not talking about the wheel bearing caps, although as a FREEBIE the early as in 1968 510 model caps should fit from my personal comparison of dust caps on the spare parts shelf.  I am talking about the zerk fittings on the upper and lower ball joints and most importantly to 2 transverse shafts on the upper and lower A arms!  They are universally ignored in the few front end lube jobs that the surviving 410 and 411 owners occasionally remember to service.  If they have been ignored for too long, the grease inside will have congealed to the point that home grease gun cannot generate enough pressure to dislodge the clogs, and will vent rather than fill the passage.  The solution is to get a fitting [don't remember the mfg or nomenclature] that you fill with the grease, install the accompanying piston, face up to the zerk and pound the crap out of the piston until the congealed grease pukes on your floor.  It will work!  I have been relying on one for the last of the past 20 of the 49 years that I have owned my RL411!

took care of that today with my dad. the old grease wasn't bad but took a bit of pressure like you said to get the old stuff out. greased the whole front up turns like butter now.

will get more photo's soon but work this week will be busy for me 

Don't screw enough with the original configuration!  You will be suprised at just how much [especially JDM] collectors  origionally lust after to want "Gee, I, wish I had could enough cash I needed when I sold mine" and especialy Japanese collectors or nostaligic, NOVORICUE to use the current expressionce for "Too rich to think ahead young generation"  I personally turned down an obscenely large cash offer for my 1967 RL411 Super Sports Sedan just because the offerer , a  car parts manufacturer owner of a Japanese after parts supplier had owned a version of my vehicle and had bought it as as his first vehicle after getting his Japanese drivers licence! So the ultimate lesson is, "If you hold on to your vehicle for long enough, it will be a 'collectible' and more than you thought thaI it would soon be a pile of rust in your back yard, Or, the local Property Tax assesssor [another NOT to get "Collector" plates] will send you an obscene personal tax assessement bill based on some rediculous bid at an Arizona rare vehicle auction [after some idiots totally ruin the vehicle credibility by introducing dubious chassis and drive train modification to a junk car ruined chassis] and giving it a dubious paint job.. Yeah!  I am pointing a figure at Phoenx / Glenfale Arizona junk yards!

• Like 1

Gotta say man I am really enjoying this build. I quite like the stance the car has, aggressive and a bit raked. It is like a tough little bulldog.

I just love it. You're a young guy, right? The PL411 was my first car. I did have one mod at the time: a Weber carb. That was a good choice! I owned it from around 1977-1987. I just loved it! Have fun with it. 

DD

I just love it. You're a young guy, right? The PL411 was my first car. I did have one mod at the time: a Weber carb. That was a good choice! I owned it from around 1977-1987. I just loved it! Have fun with it.

DD

yeah I'm 25 but the car is my dads he has always loved the old cars that's what I grew up on so that's what I love too
  • Like 1

Just working on body work. Notice the car needs new front shocks can easily bounce the front end up and down way to soft. Does anyone know what shocks I need and if you do have the part number thanks