620 Headlight Relay Rewiring

BEEBANI

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm electrically challenged but I could make a trip to NAPA and give this a try...

Might have some questions along the way, like will this work for my application? 1974 Datsun Truck?

Ugh...

Mike

if you were closer to me i would do it for ya. its not hard to do at all. i personally ahve done teh relay system 3 times. works beautifully. and yes it will work for your application. it will work for ANY application.

Are these electrical blades sticking out of the current relay what you're as referring to as #30, #85, #86 and #87 terminals?

(I have it bolted back in place on the firewall so can't see if there are any markings on the housing for these numbers)

1974DatsunHeadlightRelay03.jpg

Get some wire, 12ga should work, get 2 in-line fuses (20-30amp), 2 40amp relays, and a few misc connectors.

Wire the 2 in-line fuses to the + post on your starter or battery, run those wires to the #30 terminal on your relays

For the low beam relay plug the red/black into terminal #87, run a ground to #85, and split the red wire that's plugged into your old relay plugging one lead into the #86 terminal

For the high beam relay plug the red/white wire into terminal #87, red/yellow into #85, the other half of your red wire goes to #86

The red, red/yellow, red/black, and red/white should be the four wires that are plugged into your old relay, you may need to extend them.

Okay, if I print this out and go to NAPA and ask for the above relays, they're going to be marked with those numbers?

Sorry for being so electrically challenged, I'm not sure where these numbers are supposed to be located.

"Just shoot me"

:blink:

FWIW

Been working on this truck for about 2 months, drove it legally for the first time today with temporary tags. It's running really good and I have brake lights and tail lights, no blinkers yet and only high beam headlights.

I unplugged the inner set of headlights so I can drive it without blinding people or getting a ticket, still working on the blinkers.

Will try a new Flasher after I get off work and get to AutoZone.

When I turn the blinkers on, the Headlamp relay clicks, are the blinkers also affected by the headlamp relay?

Excited to drive this thing as soon as I can get it so it's safe and legal. Also buffed out the paint job, came out pretty nice. Not a bad looking parts chaser and commuter truck and it's all paid for.

:)

No Mike, the turn signals, markers, brake lights, tail lights, dome light, and dash lights are all on the same circuit and fuse. You need to get yourself a wiring diagram.

Where are all the diagrams that were on the620.com these days guys?

They're on the "new" 620.com which is here

Mike, you're just looking for your "average, run of the mill" relay, four terminals. On the bottom of the relay, next to the terminals is where they're labled

• 2 years later...

Yes it will work, I have a '73 and I did it.

You don't necessarily have to put a new fuse panel under the hood, it just makes it cleaner.

Get some wire, 12ga should work, get 2 in-line fuses (20-30amp), 2 40amp relays, and a few misc connectors.

Wire the 2 in-line fuses to the + post on your starter or battery, run those wires to the #30 terminal on your relays

For the low beam relay plug the red/black into terminal #87, run a ground to #85, and split the red wire that's plugged into your old relay plugging one lead into the #86 terminal

For the high beam relay plug the red/white wire into terminal #87, red/yellow into #85, the other half of your red wire goes to #86

The red, red/yellow, red/black, and red/white should be the four wires that are plugged into your old relay, you may need to extend them.

Doing this this weekend.. just wondering.. since i have my hid's connected now.. will this keep them on when i flash high beams.. On my 510, a friend electrician who passed..wired the 510 like that.. low beams on.. and when high beams all 4 on

• 2 weeks later...

So I wired the wifes truck up exactly as said, and with the high switch OFF all 4, both high and low stayed on. With it in the high position, only the lows were on. But I found a solution to my spesific problem. A 5 pin relay to put in place of the original that will be used fir switching dutys just like the original relay.

• 1 month later...

Hooked my truck up with this relay set-up yesterday, and it rocks.

Wiring is still new to me, and I kept trying to conceptualize how to wire up relays with the existing switches, but kept drawing a blank. Then I found this post, and now I can see it all laid out in my head.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

hey huys hoping i can bring this back.. i did this a couple moths back.. actually when this thread started.. and i am now having an issue .. The fusible link for the low beam relay keeps popping that fuse... cant seem to see anythin worng. havent changes anything rescently.. any ideas?

• 1 year later...

Hi i am new member of this forum, i have old datsun 100a cherry, there was a mess up with wiring only headlights were working and it getting starts, i take off all other wires including head light now i rewire starting thing its is ok now i am going to install wire for headlights but i am confuse why we use relay in headlights even without relay it can work so what is usage of relay? Any one can explain please...

• 8 years later...
On 11/5/2008 at 3:07 PM, Drummerboy4as said:

Yes it will work, I have a '73 and I did it.

You don't necessarily have to put a new fuse panel under the hood, it just makes it cleaner.

This is the answer to OP. 

On 10/18/2008 at 7:02 PM, BEEBANI said:

O.k., so after having to replace the fuses on both wires that feed the headlight switch several times, I decided to upgrade the headlight circuit. The fuses always melt, and the original fuse panel on the truck was completely melted away, so a long time ago I upgraded to a blade type fuse panel. I'm sure that going to H3's didn't help matters much either.

The stock wiring is a fucking joke, battery power goes into the light switch, then goes to the light relay. The Red/Yellow wire coming from the high beam switch is used as a ground at the relay, and the Red/White and Red/Black wires from the relay feed the headlights.

So essentially, there really is no point in the relay other then to trigger the high beams.

I added in 2 40A relays and removed the original relay.

I used the RED wire coming from the headlight switch as a trigger wire for both relays.

I ran 2 new wires from my fuse block under the hood which is directly fed from the battery, I attached these to the relays as the B+

I ran 1 new ground wire for the low beam relay

The Red/Yellow wire is attached to the high beam relay as a ground

The Red/Black wire is the feed to the low beams

The Red/White wire is the feed to the high beams

Works like a champ, and I will later figure out how to wire a relay into the park light circuit (which feeds all the other lights including the tail lights).

OP post is spot on. If you're confused it's you and not a type.o. 

Thanks for the simple shit in life.