'72 510 dome light

MarkB.

Alrighty,

Making a last push to get everything working in my 510.  Installed a new (old stock) dome light.   With the light hanging down from the wires, it works fine; door switches work and it can be switched to constant on,  As soon as I screw it back into the roof, it stops working completely.  Obviously, some kind of short circuit when pressed against the roof.

So my question is: was there some kind of rubber pad insulator between the roof and the light?  There was no dome light when I bought the car so I don't know and don't have one.

Other suggestions?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you use an original type lamp. I recall that I ended up using a Sentra light with several electrical pins so I had to make some small wiring changes. On a related note, the original type lamp is also grounded by one of the attaching screws.

The wiring diagram shows 2 wires going to the lamp. Power from the fuse block and a ground coming from the door switches. It looks like the light switch selects the ground circuit to the bulb. It either gets ground from the door switch or from the ground screw on the lamp assembly.

See room lamp on the wiring diagram.

A5A7BE10-DF50-4B3C-94FD-E4372830AEF9_zps

The original 510 light is on the right side. The left is a late 1980s Sentra light

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03195.jpg