WTF is with people?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I had an easy fix for you Mike, but I don't. I work for a utility company that was taken over by a city, so now we're city workers. Yuck. We get calls all the time from residents wanting us to referee issues between neighbors about leaves falling in the others yards, sprinklers watering neighbor's cars, water flooding the others property, shade from one yard killing the others vegetables or flowers. Some of these issues carry on for years and get ugly depending on if/& how the two parties resolve it. Even as a city employee I get caught up in these same crappy issues at my house and can't find an easy way out.

The city (ie: utility workers, cops, inspectors) in California can't do anything in a situation like these because...

1) it isn't city property, it is private property. The city has no responsibility or jurisdiction over what happens with private property unless someobody is breaking a city ordinance in the witness of a city employee. 2) a complaint has not been filed with the city that a law has been broken by one of the residents and it  needs investigating (ie trespassing or mischief, to be proven by the accuser with documentation &/or witnesses.) If a complaint had is filed the two parties will be suponeaed to go to court about it. Our city offers free mediation for residents to try and resolve these issues, keep city costs down, and keep these minor cases out of the court systems.  If it fails to get resolved you can still take it to court. It is just a lot of time and mental energy expended.

Right now it is a civil issue with no charges filed between two neighbors regarding private property.  Call your city manager's office and ask about city ordinances, how to file a complaint, mediation etc. It is always good ammunition for your next conversation with the nim-rods next door. If it sounds to them as though you've already contacted the city first, and may have the city "on your side," it may help motivate them to resolve it.  Hopefully they aren't elderly self centered nim-rods who can't listen at all. 

When i bought this place i was about 24 years old and we were "those neighbors" ... You know the ones with black tire marks originating from our driveway  stretching in both directions down the street.. The occasional full size car caught in the shrubbery in the front yard. ( how he though he could drive over that bush i'll never really understand) . Yard completely chewed up from people "stopping by" and doing doughnuts in the front yard  . Open header engine testing at 2:30 in the morning. Rock music playing at as high a volume as possible with speakers out windows so you could hear it better out in garage..................................

And now ,,,,,,for the most part ,,,,,,,,,, we have become those old people that just put up with our neighbors shit cuz it's easier that way.

• Like 3

From what you describe nanner, it's not long before your ass puckers up and you become that neighbor... You know, the one who has nothing better to do than get all up in your damn fool kid neighbor's shit for doing what you did 24 years ago. It's just the way it works.

• Like 1

Actually 26 years ago.. :D

Nah ,,, i really could give a shit less what the neighbors do as long as i don't have to go over and help them with it.

a few months ago when i walked out to get mail and some asswipe had tore up the yard turning around up by the road ,, probably thinking he was all gangster..  It made me smile thinking the kid would probably still be sitting there stuck if it was the early 90s...  We have to keep the driveway pretty flat now cuz there is 8 ton vehicle going down it twice a day,,,,,,,,,,,, but back in the day ( pre 5/8th minus screened gravel years)  the driveway had pot holes big and deep enough my oldest boys would fill them with water in the summer and swim in them. :rofl:

• Like 3

When i bought this place i was about 24 years old and we were "those neighbors" ... You know the ones with black tire marks originating from our driveway  stretching in both directions down the street.. The occasional full size car caught in the shrubbery in the front yard. ( how he though he could drive over that bush i'll never really understand) . Yard completely chewed up from people "stopping by" and doing doughnuts in the front yard  . Open header engine testing at 2:30 in the morning. Rock music playing at as high a volume as possible with speakers out windows so you could hear it better out in garage..................................

And now ,,,,,,for the most part ,,,,,,,,,,

Be one of them neighbors^^

You could throw a Datsun party every weekend Mike, I will supply the tunes.

• Like 2

And now ,,,,,,for the most part ,,,,,,,,,, we have become those old people that just put up with our neighbors shit cuz it's easier that way.

A friend of mine had a house at the bottom of a very steep hill.  He also had an "Abe Lincoln" split rail fence in his front yard!  After several unplanned downhill racer plowing the fence flat and a 3/4 ton truck ran through his kitchen and garage, he appealed to our city engineer, who turned out to be a real "good guy!"  He dispatched a city truck and earth mover to the house, found out that the properties just over the fence were being developed and that the developer really needed to get rid of some very large Palos Verdes boulders!  It would cost a small fortune to dump a particulary large boulder!  It just so happened that the local earth mover was of the right capacity to take care of the developer's problem if he would just turn his back for about an hour and not read the license plate of the vehicle.  One very big rock in the front yard of my friend's house which just coincidentaly aligned with the right turn option of the downhill street solved the problem!  There has not been an over run crash at that intersection in the last 40years!

• Like 3

From what you describe nanner, it's not long before your ass puckers up and you become that neighbor... You know, the one who has nothing better to do than get all up in your damn fool kid neighbor's shit for doing what you did 24 years ago. It's just the way it works.

As I've told my kids [when they were young enough to listen], "If I catch you doing anything I did at your age, I will skin you alive!"

• Like 1

Oh, I have a better idea.  Buy a rusted 620.  Gut the drivetrain.  Chop hole in bed.  Park right next to property line and plant new plum tree in bed of 620.  For extra measure, take 2x6's and make a form around the bottom of the truck, then fill with concrete.  Leave enough area in the middle of the bed hole to provide adequate growth for the plum tree. :)

• Like 6

I love HRH's idea. And don't forget to paint the Ratsun/ Flying Tiger eyeball and mouth full of teeth on it!  

Or if you want to be nice-er,  paint it all over with 60's hippie flowers. If the neighbor's inquire or comment on it, tell them its a jungle-gym for when your "grand kids" come to visit. :angel:  

Or. Set up a grave/memorial site for your plum tree. Big cross or headstone. Shrine. Flowers. Host a nice memorial and invite the town. Family flying in counts for extra. Fresh flowers weekly. Maybe incense? Occasional bawling on the cold stump.

• Like 6

Or. Set up a grave/memorial site for your plum tree. Big cross or headstone. Shrine. Flowers. Host a nice memorial and invite the town. Family flying in counts for extra. Fresh flowers weekly. Maybe incense? Occasional bawling on the cold stump.

Classic!

I have about 4 dozen of more volunteer plum or Italian prune trees growing in my front "orchard" anyone is welcome to if they're willing to dig them up.  Haven't had the heart to mow them down, since they're taking the place of the apple trees that died and fell down.  Lots of volunteer apple trees too but you never know if those will produce fruit or not.  Most of them end up getting eaten by deer, but a few are getting quite tall.    The deer eating the saplings is the only reason I haven't totally replanted the "orchard".

Mike could make a fence with all those trees.

• Like 1