biggest tire without flares 240Z

hi guys i have a 240z and recently bought 15x8.5 watanabe rims i am thinking of putting on toyo R888 225/15 tires on and wanted to know if anyone has this size tire allready on? i dont want to run flares anyone know if this will work? they also make a 235/15.. thanks 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 mm is not much could be mistaken for 0 

measure mounting surface to front and back of wheel that will tell you if it is zero   6 mm is    less than a quarter inch 

6mm = .23622

hi guys i have a 240z and recently bought 15x8.5 watanabe rims i am thinking of putting on toyo R888 225/15 tires on and wanted to know if anyone has this size tire allready on? i dont want to run flares anyone know if this will work? they also make a 235/15.. thanks 

So, been where you're at for a long time now and this is a few things I've learned in my search for the "proper fitting tire/wheels for my car" :

1- You really, REALLY need to learn what/how offsets work as well as how they affect your car.  

These guys can only give you guesses, because they don't know the details of your rims, your car, how it rides, how low it is, how high it is, if you've changed any of the struts, breaks... ect... ect...   I went through this with mine, thinking to myself "Man, jerks.. can't you just give me a dang straight answer?"  no, they can't... and there's a good reason for it.  Big thanks to D-mike for helping me see the error of my ways in that particular area lol

Check out this website, it was a life saver for me.  It won't be perfect but it'll get you in the ball park of where you want to be when you head to your local tire shop.  It's also a visual aid on how offsets and backspacing works as well, which threw me for a few loops when i was doing my research.  

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=155-80-13X4.5ET13&wheel2=175-70-13X5.5ET14&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm

2- Take your time, don't rush into it.  

I ended up throwing $200 down the drain cause I was an idiot.   Best possible thing you could do is take it to your local tire guy, give him one of your wheels and tell him exactly what you said in your post "What's the biggest tire i can get without using flares?"     Believe me they're MORE than willing to work with you.

The guys I took my wheels to actually mounted three different tires for me before we settled on the size that I bought.   More work for them?  Yep, without a doubt, but they won a customer for life, and a VERY happy one at that.   They were also impressed that I at least knew the "RANGE" of tires i was looking for, giving them just three options helped them narrow it down as well.

3- Write everything down!

I know that doesn't seem like something that would be important but history as well as science shows that when you take the time to write something out, it sticks in your long term memory better.  As well as when you go to reload some tires after doing burnouts for all your buddies it's easier to just spout out what size you need and walk away (or heaven forbid you gotta sell it... )   

I personally have a google doc setup with every thing I've ever done/bought/sold or other wise to my b210.  Helps me keep things in balance, as well as look back at some of the more idiotic things I've done and try not to make the same mistake twice.  (like buying two sets of 4x100 wheels in stead of 4x114 lol)

Long and short?  Do your homework, it SUCKKKKSSSSS   because we all want someone to just "friggin tell me what I need!!"   but in the end it'll be so much better and easier if you KNOW what you need by doing the research yourself...  I know, because speak from experience :)

So...  enjoy your 240z!!   :)

Hopefully this didn't come off to 'dickish'  cause sometimes the guys around here can come off that way, but it's all in how you read it.   They want to help, it just sometimes doesn't seem that way lol

• Like 3

Rims are like hot super model girl friend. Looks great, and you want her real bad, but she's high maintenance and rubs you in all the wrong places.... overall, YOU have to make all the changes so the relationship works.

Rims should fit the car, not the other way round. Never, never, never buy rims and then try to make the car fit them. Know what will fit, know what works for you, and marry within your own species, and you will be happy ever after.