somewhat URGENT upgrade parts from an A14 engine

superjesus

okay havent posted in a while but to make it somewhat quick:

im currently in africa where i;m surrounded by cheap Nissan champs/1400 and they run the A14 engine with standard 5-speed gearbox, now i cant take a gearbox with me i;ll have to do that on my next trip BUT i read somewhere that i could get an A14 top end and mount it onto a A12 engine for improved performance, is that true? are there any other parts i should pick up while im here? 

sadly i cant take too many parts just yet but i need to rebuild my engine anyway so what are some upgrades i can take from the A14 engine?

also im planning on coming back here at the end of the year to import at least one nissan champ back to europe, and if there is enough interest take a few 5-speed gearboxes and performance build/stock engines with me too sell onto who ever is interested. 

and no i cant buy any performance parts for a A14/A12 on this trip since im in botswana and not south africa 

ALL HELP AND ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were three 5 speeds here. Two 60 series, one in standard shift pattern, one in dogleg pattern and a 63 series dogleg. The last one, the FS5W63A would be the strongest.

but that would be over in the US no? As far as I know the 5speeds are rare in the EU haven't seen them pop up for sale yet...

Cast aluminum 1400 valve cover from a Datsun pulsar. More of a cosmetic issue but pretty desired.

mmmmmm... I'll keep a look out but as the Nissan champs are pure workhorses here idoubt I,lll stumble across a ALU valve cover.....maybe I can pick a cheap set of fender mirrors though

I would totally be in on buying a 5speed if you got some home! 

Regarding the  A14 headswap, there is a bit more meat on the A14 head as i understand, and the valves is +1mil IN. and +2mil OUT. so there is a little bit to gain :) 
But  it lovers the compression as the chamber is bigger. But I would that that if you got a little bit milled of the head then it won't matter?

Would be interested in a A14 head also if you can bring one for a reasonable price ;-)

EDIT: OH YEAH and a Tacho.... WOULD love to have one... But prop ending up with a aftermarket one :/

• Like 1

See if you can find:

1. Tachometer

2. Small clock

3. Excellent steering wheel

3. Grille "S" emblem

4. Garnish between the brake lights

This are esthetic items but hard to find in the USA.

Don't know in Europe.

• Like 1

I would totally be in on buying a 5speed if you got some home!

Regarding the A14 headswap, there is a bit more meat on the A14 head as i understand, and the valves is +1mil IN. and +2mil OUT. so there is a little bit to gain :)

But it lovers the compression as the chamber is bigger. But I would that that if you got a little bit milled of the head then it won't matter?

Would be interested in a A14 head also if you can bring one for a reasonable price ;-)

EDIT: OH YEAH and a Tacho.... WOULD love to have one... But prop ending up with a aftermarket one :/

I'm currently also getting the funds up so I can come back in December and buy atleast one Nissan champ to import back to Europe and take its engine and drive train for my 120y and then sell the body on, since drag racing is big in south Africa I'm interested in getting a race prepped champ.... But Im aiming to buy one champ and one Datsun 1200 ute or SSS and a bunch of other desirible parts like a couple 5speeds and engines (like the a14, a15 and a16). Maybe start a lil import business.

Where are you based? I might be able to score one or two, I'm currently on vacation here visiting friends and the local fb car groups are slow to respond.

I believe the only tachos here are the rounds types (I believe it was carried over from the b110 datsuns but I could be wrong) and I'm sure the b210 all had the square types

See if you can find:

1. Tachometer

2. Small clock

3. Excellent steering wheel

3. Grille "S" emblem

4. Garnish between the brake lights

This are esthetic items but hard to find in the USA.

Don't know in Europe.

Im going out on limb and guess part availability between Europe and us is about the same. But I'll keep a look out for the cosmetic bits especially the emblems..... BTW my car does have the honeycomb grille with the S emblem but there's no way I'm ever selling that since it is by far the best looking of all grilles

• Like 1

Something related to the Datsun 120y 140y or Sunny rally car would be cool.

As far as I know there is just one race prepped Datsun in the country so I'll have to look for that on my next trip...

I know theres datsuns racing in pretty much all disciplines in south Africa so I'm bound to encounter something.

Today I spotted an Datsun 1200 ute I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow. Even here I only see a handful of different datsuns a week here (not counting the Nissan champs)

• Like 2

Im based en Denmark ^_^

But feel free to PM me or send me a mail ad tobiasboe.thomsen@gmail.com and we can take a look ad it if you find something good :D

PS If you can get me some parts I'll be sure to drive down by your place when the car get finished! ( Looooooong trip tho xD )

IMG_20160506_094743_zpsuwtomyy2.jpg

Snapped a picture of this lil guy today

I'll definitely contact you if I can score some good parts

It's a long trip but I say it be worth it especially if it's in your Datsun

Going to some car shops today to look for parts

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

alright just too update this....

i got back from my trip a couple weeks ago and sadly didnt get any good parts. but i do have some more connections now and i will be working on sourcing some good bits and bobs.

looking to get my hands on some 120z and sss parts :D