Wifes 1979 Toyota Corona

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find, those things are cool. Powder coat looks great :cool:

Thanks. Yeah my wife is crazy about it. She's been bugging the crap out of me these last few months to get it on the road. She even took it upon herself to bug Jrock to get her parts done which I thought was funny. Hehe.

• Like 1

my wife had an 81 like this when we met it was a great car 

it had 233000 on it with no problems when we sold it 

i think hers was a 22R motor 

Nothing wrong with toyotas they last a long time 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it ran for a couple weeks and now I have no power to the fuel pump. Sucks. I'm thinking fuel pump relay or cut off solenoid. I can't find the cut off solenoid though. I see it in the wiring diagram but it doesn't say where it is on the car.

• 1 month later...

It's been running for a few weeks now. I replaced the fuel pump relay. I also got lucky and found a used seat belt warning buzzer relay on ebay. Not sure why everything wanted to take a shit at once but it's all working now. I found one of the fuses was not making good contact for the blower motor so I cleaned all the fuse connections. The wipers started working without it blowing the fuse.

I love it, It brings back a lot of memories.  I used to keep one maintained for a friend who was a traveling salesman who put 4-5K miles on per month.  He couldn't wear it out.

Here is a tip, and you may have found it already.  

The blower switch circuit and the fuel pump relay are somehow related.  If you cut the car off with the blower motor on high the fuel pump relay won't kick in on the next restart.  Seemed to be pretty common on these cars.  I replaced the blower switch and never had any further problems.   So, if it gives you a failure again, be sure to cut the blower off and then try starting it.  Or, just use it as a "hidden" anti-theft" device.

dgi

• Like 1

Ask and you shall receive. The first four are from 4 years ago since then the sun has peeled the clear coat on the fender tops. Most don't like it cause it's a automatic. The last two pics are from last summer with the western rims that are now on the corona.

SANY4096.jpg

SANY4090.jpg

SANY4040.jpg

reSANY6543.jpg

SANY8727_zpsljbnkduc.jpg

SANY8725_zpsh7uby5c7.jpg

• Like 1

SANY0808_zps4hy9rqkc.jpg

SANY0809_zpsli0if2um.jpg

SANY0805_zpsocbjua2s.jpg

AWESOME progress!!!!

I see you are also in Tacoma, wa.... and I like that Supra in the pics above. My girlfriend would kill for one! Any chance you'd want to sell that Supra?

Thanks!

• Like 1