Moving to Cali.....smog Q's

If you have a vehicle requiring a smog test that was originally sold there,

you can only use a CA approved converter.

I also recommend having a pre-test done,to see if it passes.That way,it's

not on record if it fails.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, paradime said:

Nope, it's not a crime, it's a civil violation. Unlike a moving violation though, there is no penalty other than denied registration if the vehicle does not pass smog or the emissions system is visibly altered. Same as Arizona law requiring vehicles pass emissions testing if driven into Tucson or Phoenix areas. So does that mean you live in a shithole too? Welcome to the club.

Semantics. Az isn't a shithole. The people's republik of Kalifornia on the other hand is. And SMOGGING here is only required when you LIVE in Pima Or Maricopa counties. And Pima dropped all smogging of MC's and classic cars.

• Like 2

Triggered. Turn off your AC and die of heat stroke; sounds like hell. I've driven through AZ many times, and we both know that state is nothing but kitty litter for as far as the eye can see. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason California doesn't slide off into the Pacific is Nevada and Arizona suck so hard. ?

BTW. Cali has never smogged MCs or classic cars, but they do in People's Republic of Maricopa County? What a shithole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No doubt, California ante what she used to be; full of a bunch of money grubbing vultures now. The tech industry was the death nail in the Cali I knew. People trampled in to make the big money and fucked it up beyond all recognition. Ask any hipster shit making 6 figures right out of college though and they'll tell you it's super neat-o. 

Edited by paradime
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, paradime said:

Triggered. Turn off your AC and die of heat stroke; sounds like hell. I've driven through AZ many times, and we both know that state is nothing but kitty litter for as far as the eye can see. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason California doesn't slide off into the Pacific is Nevada and Arizona suck so hard. ?

BTW. Cali has never smogged MCs or classic cars, but they do in People's Republic of Maricopa County? What a shithole. 

"triggered"? Pussy liberal expression. The only reason you don't have the biggest POS Governor is because of Malloy in Ct. I don't give a fuck where you've driven. I lived in that shithole for 20 years.
Kalifornia never smogged classic cars? LIAR.
Az. doesn't have CARB. That right there wins the debate.

• Like 3
On 8/15/2018 at 8:39 PM, Z-train said:

Tampering with emissions is a crime in that shithole state. And that INCLUDES adding a cat on a car that DIDN'T come with one.

It's illegal to tamper with/remove  smog equipment any year, anywhere. Technically a federal offense but left to the individual states to enforce but who would bother? "Fuck that!" they say, "We got better things to do." Only those who have a visual and or smog testing would notice in passing, then you fail. Older cars that are not inspected or states that do not inspect could easily have all the smog equipment removed and though 'illegal' who would know? or care?

• Like 2

On ‎04‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Edz280zx said:

Gonna go ahead and start a new thread here....

I've done some research online and can't quite get a good answer.  I've got a 78 280z that is basically bone stock with Federal emissions still intact.  The question is when I move to California in July (Redlands area) will I have to get a catalytic converter or anything else?  I've found one site that says that if it passes the sniffer, I don't have to.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this.  Thanks.

Glad you got it handled. I assume being a 78 you still have to get it smogged every year in CA?

This is my recent experience smog-ing a post 1975 vehicle.  

Unfortunately, I was born and raised in over-regulated, expensive-to-live CA. I've heard (rumors) some Dat owners have registered their older Dats as a historic vehicle, get historic plates,  and no longer have to get their vehicles smogged? But I've also heard there is a cap on the yearly mileage you can put on a historic vehicle in order to have the historic status, and they may have to have this verified periodically? This might be worth somebody checking out, for those who don't drive their trailer queens very often?  

I had my first smog license in 1974. The rule remains the same  on transferring an out of state vehicle to CA no matter of the year it was made, it must have a one-time smog inspection .  It is up to that technician to determine what is required. Now-a- days that could include going to a star station.

If the vehicle is a 1978, it will still have to get yearly smog inspections after an initial out of state smog inspection. 75’ 74’ 73’ etc and older would not require yearly smog inspections. after the one-time inspection required to get a CA title and reg. 

Currently, If  it was a federal vehicle brought into CA to title and reg it only has to have Federal smog required installed, it does not need to have CA req smog equip. There was a lot of confusion and issues about this in the early post 75’ decades  creating the smogging horror stories of years gone by.

A few years ago i purchased a super nice condition out-of-state 1980’ 200sx with fuel injection, federal standards, always garaged, and less than 60k miles on it.  It ran, had great power (although it lagged a lot,)  but would fog out a city block burning rich when  first started cold. My wife required I announce I was going to start it up long before I started it... so she and I could take the time to shut all the doors and windows! Lmao. It really would fog up the house with fuel richness and not much color, but god... what a cough causing stench! .

First I went to AAA to transfer the title. I knew they would transfer the title in the system and I would have to wait to get a title mailed to me, and  I would only get a temp registration in order to be able to drive it on the roads to get it smogged. Sinice the vehicle was drivable, and currently titled and registered in another state AAA was able to do the VIN verification to ensure it was indeed the vehicle's out-of-state paperwork said it was. (Side note: AAA was not able to do a VIN verification on a non-running CA 620 I bought that was missing a title and registration, and only had a bill-of-sale.  I had to trailer the 620 to DMV and have them provide the VIN verification and file for a lost title. Neither of these verifications had anything to do with insurance, and my insurance company was not involved or required anything in the title-change process.)   

No longer working in auto field or having a smog license, I took the 200SX to a star station to smog, hoping to get it road worthy quick and get some easy paid-for diagnostics and answers,  thus saving my  back...NOT! It failed visual inspection  and Dyno test miserably, worst emissions the guy had seen in a long time due to gulp valve hoses disconnected.  

Took it back to retest, failed again, the tech said the CAT was suspect. The Muffler sounded like a vacuum cleaner anyway. Went to the local High tech muffler shop and Sprung for new exhaust from CAT & muffler to tail pipe. this included the new CA required cat with a special number on it that must be recorded on the smog documentation and maybe on registration cert too? Haven’t checked to verify this suspicion. Looking through the old CAT I could see blue sky, there were no internal parts in it, everything was gone. 

Also found the coolant thermostat was seized open causing it to run extremely rich (Thanks DZM for the tip to check that! never would have suspected that on an injected vehicle.) Quickly replaced it with an orig still avail from the Nissan dealer. 

Complaining (whining)  at work about my frustrations with the process and the frigging costs  about it I learnned a co-worker had a relative who does smog near an auto center, and  cheaper than what I was paying for at smog place #1. Took it to him instead, and he was willing to hear my woe’s and give me insight to current smog laws.

Looking at the failed results from the initial test, the smog tech expected it to fail again. But it passed with flying colors, said it was the most improved emissions he’d ever seen! And he asked what all I’d done to it. I relayed my experience. He said he wished I’d brought it to him first to have saved me the hassles. But he really wished I’d brought it to him after the repairs, but before replacing the orig CAT. He said the typical sources of smog failures on older collectible cars are vac leaks, missing hoses, carb and choke issues, and incorrectly installed  vac lines and wires. He likes to perform his own experiments to learn exactly what repairs fixes which problems.

He he further explained CA CATS from the 70’s and 80’s did NOT have serial numbers on them, nor O2 sensors.   Smog techs can only perform a visual inspection requirement on these older cars, other than the emissions test.  There is NO CAT number to verify on these vehicles!

AND this tech has seen a few friends cars with engines with good comp,  well tuned,  with working smog systems... pass smog , that have failing or hole-y CAT?  He said instead of purchasing new exhaust  I could have bolted in in a better condition used CAT from the same era vehicle, and it more-than-likely would have passed with better test results... not great, but passable. As long as the CAT looks orig, the tech will never know it’s from a different vehicle, and would not have any reason to question/reject it.  

The prob for smog techs is when guys weld in later CATS that look out-of-place or "modified other than stock", look like later/after-market parts, or altered in some way, would they be obligated to question/reject it. The prob here is locating a workable used CAT. All the So Cal Junkyards  remove CATS to recycle before putting vehicles in their yards to be picked. I am not sure if that is simple profitable recycling choice, or perhaps a CA state requirement so prevent used CATS from being used? Someone who works in a JY may be able to shed further light on this?

Although I am still required to have the 200SX smogged once a year for $58 out the door... my stock SX now hauls ass,  regularly gets 32+ mpg, burns clean, and I don’t risk causing  my wife, neighbors, or fellow DAT car guys to die of asphyxiation when I fire it up at home or a meet. 

There is nothing worse  than sitting in my Eagle Rock Swap meet space and having some guy fire up his show car he's so proud of, and the rich burning exhaust nearly causes two rows of vendors to pass out! Cough! Gak! Wheeze!

After rushing out of the cloud funk to fresh air,  I laugh my ass off at the guy every time, and wonder how many brain cells the guy inside is killing off every time he fires it up? And the folks who stay in the cloud thinking it's cool?  Back in my racing days in the hazy Inland Empire where you couldn't see the surrounding mountains due to smog. Many guys including myself didn't know any better either and they probably killed off a bunch of brain cells too.

But now after decades of smog research... new smog laws since the 70's that have drastically cleared out and reduced the IE smog haze. You can regularly  see the big M for Moreno Valley as you drive by on the freeway below it. (Side note: we used to relate Jimi Hendrix's song 'Purple Haze" to the IE smog issues.) Smog laws are a result of overpopulation and 4 cars for every human causing health risking smog. The Inland Empire is proof smog laws work and make cities safer to live in.  Smog laws were created to protect people's health, not to inconvenience or punish car guys. Despite old Datsuns and other collectible and antique cars being affordable project cars for fun and hobbies... cars other than daily drivers are considered by government to be luxury items like boats and swimming pools. If they are causing health or environmental problems like the Quagga (sp) muscles cross contaminating freshwater lakes and water-ways, government will have to step in to protect the natural resources and people.  

So, we will have to be creative to reduce the associated costs of our outdated luxury hobbies. Especially if we don't want to have cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars to purchase and service, cars that not only parks by themselves, but drives by themselves, tells you when a car is in the lane next to you, or in the future have a chip that tells big brother where you are, or possibly turns off if the cop sees you breaking a law!

In today's times, letting a street vehicle  continue to burn overly-rich or removing smog equipment in the name of "performance" is  like knowing  the dangers of smoking cigarettes and second hand smoke... and continuing to smoke or living in close proximity to smokers anyway.  I wonder why these guys don't learn to tune their cars to perform without the "cloud of asphyxiation?"  Ignorance is not bliss, ya know. But I guess this is  what keeps the health organizations in business, and so friggin rich, eh? Go figure.

Stay informed with documentable knowledge. Knowledge is power. Rumors are just fun stories.

Edited by Seeker > 620 KC
Clarified a couple sentences.
  • Like 1

Yes, being a 78 it still needs smogged every two years. All other points you are absolutely correct on. A federal car brought in needs to only follow the federal guide lines. I find it interesting that they haven't moved the cut-off up yet. I have access to VIO data and in California they are quickly coming up on less than 1% vehicle population older than 1990 or so. I'm wondering when the payoff isn't going to be enough to keep running them thru expensive smog testing equipment?

As an aside, your story makes me miss my 81' 200sx hatch.  Had alot of fun in that car until I hurt it bad on black ice, a ditch, and then a culvert..lol. It wasn't the same after that. Sold it to a guy and he moved to Illinois with it. Still ran like a top even with the bent rear end. Made it really twitchy in the rain and absolutely UN-drivable in the snow.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Z-train said:

"triggered"? Pussy liberal expression. The only reason you don't have the biggest POS Governor is because of Malloy in Ct. I don't give a fuck where you've driven. I lived in that shithole for 20 years.
Kalifornia never smogged classic cars? LIAR.
Az. doesn't have CARB. That right there wins the debate.

Train Wreck.

My family has been in Cali for 6 generations and I for 52 years. If you lived here for 20 you should know the state has a very broad classification for old cars. It does not differentiate between classics, vintage, and antique cars. According to California DMV, if the vehicle was manufactured after 1922, and is at least 25 years old, it is classified as a "Historical" Vehicle. Therefore California has never smog tested classic cars, only historic vehicles newer than 1975.

No California does not set the national standard for automotive classifications, but if we look for a standard definition of what constitutes a "classic", there is no better authority than CCCA, The Classic Car Club of America. They only consider cars between the years 1915 and 1948 to be classics, and California has never smog tested these cars. Not a LIE, that's a fact. 

Now, lets define what "shithole" means. It would appear you see it as any place that has conservationist programs designed to protect the environment. I on the other hand see a shithole as a place where you shit. In this instance it would be a futile debate over what state is or isn't, because we're arguing about different things. Look on the bright side though, we may both be right. Although California has taken steps to address air pollution, we still create smog. ?  I guess it's Okay though, the Eastward Pacific jet stream blows it into our neighboring shithole.

????

Just curious - you say that you're moving to CA,

but have "Banning,CA" as your location.

Did they secede from CA?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, angliagt said:

Just curious - you say that you're moving to CA,

but have "Banning,CA" as your location.

Did they secede from CA?

This thread was started over 2 years ago when I lived in Missouri. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, Seeker > 620 KC said:

Glad you got it handled. I assume being a 78 you still have to get it smogged every year in CA?

This is my recent experience smog-ing a post 1975 vehicle.  

Unfortunately, I was born and raised in over-regulated, expensive-to-live CA. I've heard (rumors) some Dat owners have registered their older Dats as a historic vehicle, get historic plates,  and no longer have to get their vehicles smogged? But I've also heard there is a cap on the yearly mileage you can put on a historic vehicle in order to have the historic status, and they may have to have this verified periodically? This might be worth somebody checking out, for those who don't drive their trailer queens very often?  

I had my first smog license in 1974. The rule remains the same  on transferring an out of state vehicle to CA no matter of the year it was made, it must have a one-time smog inspection .  It is up to that technician to determine what is required. Now-a- days that could include going to a star station.

If the vehicle is a 1978, it will still have to get yearly smog inspections after an initial out of state smog inspection. 75’ 74’ 73’ etc and older would not require yearly smog inspections. after the one-time inspection required to get a CA title and reg. 

Currently, If  it was a federal vehicle brought into CA to title and reg it only has to have Federal smog required installed, it does not need to have CA req smog equip. There was a lot of confusion and issues about this in the early post 75’ decades  creating the smogging horror stories of years gone by.

A few years ago i purchased a super nice condition out-of-state 1980’ 200sx with fuel injection, federal standards, always garaged, and less than 60k miles on it.  It ran, had great power (although it lagged a lot,)  but would fog out a city block burning rich when  first started cold. My wife required I announce I was going to start it up long before I started it... so she and I could take the time to shut all the doors and windows! Lmao. It really would fog up the house with fuel richness and not much color, but god... what a cough causing stench! .

First I went to AAA to transfer the title. I knew they would transfer the title in the system and I would have to wait to get a title mailed to me, and  I would only get a temp registration in order to be able to drive it on the roads to get it smogged. Sinice the vehicle was drivable, and currently titled and registered in another state AAA was able to do the VIN verification to ensure it was indeed the vehicle's out-of-state paperwork said it was. (Side note: AAA was not able to do a VIN verification on a non-running CA 620 I bought that was missing a title and registration, and only had a bill-of-sale.  I had to trailer the 620 to DMV and have them provide the VIN verification and file for a lost title. Neither of these verifications had anything to do with insurance, and my insurance company was not involved or required anything in the title-change process.)   

No longer working in auto field or having a smog license, I took the 200SX to a star station to smog, hoping to get it road worthy quick and get some easy paid-for diagnostics and answers,  thus saving my  back...NOT! It failed visual inspection  and Dyno test miserably, worst emissions the guy had seen in a long time due to gulp valve hoses disconnected.  

Took it back to retest, failed again, the tech said the CAT was suspect. The Muffler sounded like a vacuum cleaner anyway. Went to the local High tech muffler shop and Sprung for new exhaust from CAT & muffler to tail pipe. this included the new CA required cat with a special number on it that must be recorded on the smog documentation and maybe on registration cert too? Haven’t checked to verify this suspicion. Looking through the old CAT I could see blue sky, there were no internal parts in it, everything was gone. 

Also found the coolant thermostat was seized open causing it to run extremely rich (Thanks DZM for the tip to check that! never would have suspected that on an injected vehicle.) Quickly replaced it with an orig still avail from the Nissan dealer. 

Complaining (whining)  at work about my frustrations with the process and the frigging costs  about it I learnned a co-worker had a relative who does smog near an auto center, and  cheaper than what I was paying for at smog place #1. Took it to him instead, and he was willing to hear my woe’s and give me insight to current smog laws.

Looking at the failed results from the initial test, the smog tech expected it to fail again. But it passed with flying colors, said it was the most improved emissions he’d ever seen! And he asked what all I’d done to it. I relayed my experience. He said he wished I’d brought it to him first to have saved me the hassles. But he really wished I’d brought it to him after the repairs, but before replacing the orig CAT. He said the typical sources of smog failures on older collectible cars are vac leaks, missing hoses, carb and choke issues, and incorrectly installed  vac lines and wires. He likes to perform his own experiments to learn exactly what repairs fixes which problems.

He he further explained CA CATS from the 70’s and 80’s did NOT have serial numbers on them, nor O2 sensors.   Smog techs can only perform a visual inspection requirement on these older cars, other than the emissions test.  There is NO CAT number to verify on these vehicles!

AND this tech has seen a few friends cars with engines with good comp,  well tuned,  with working smog systems... pass smog , that have failing or hole-y CAT?  He said instead of purchasing new exhaust  I could have bolted in in a better condition used CAT from the same era vehicle, and it more-than-likely would have passed with better test results... not great, but passable. As long as the CAT looks orig, the tech will never know it’s from a different vehicle, and would not have any reason to question/reject it.  

The prob for smog techs is when guys weld in later CATS that look out-of-place or "modified other than stock", look like later/after-market parts, or altered in some way, would they be obligated to question/reject it. The prob here is locating a workable used CAT. All the So Cal Junkyards  remove CATS to recycle before putting vehicles in their yards to be picked. I am not sure if that is simple profitable recycling choice, or perhaps a CA state requirement so prevent used CATS from being used? Someone who works in a JY may be able to shed further light on this?

Although I am still required to have the 200SX smogged once a year for $58 out the door... my stock SX now hauls ass,  regularly gets 32+ mpg, burns clean, and I don’t risk causing  my wife, neighbors, or fellow DAT car guys to die of asphyxiation when I fire it up at home or a meet. 

There is nothing worse  than sitting in my Eagle Rock Swap meet space and having some guy fire up his show car he's so proud of, and the rich burning exhaust nearly causes two rows of vendors to pass out! Cough! Gak! Wheeze!

After rushing out of the cloud funk to fresh air,  I laugh my ass off at the guy every time, and wonder how many brain cells the guy inside is killing off every time he fires it up? And the folks who stay in the cloud thinking it's cool?  Back in my racing days in the hazy Inland Empire where you couldn't see the surrounding mountains due to smog. Many guys including myself didn't know any better either and they probably killed off a bunch of brain cells too.

But now after decades of smog research... new smog laws since the 70's that have drastically cleared out and reduced the IE smog haze. You can regularly  see the big M for Moreno Valley as you drive by on the freeway below it. (Side note: we used to relate Jimi Hendrix's song 'Purple Haze" to the IE smog issues.) Smog laws are a result of overpopulation and 4 cars for every human causing health risking smog. The Inland Empire is proof smog laws work and make cities safer to live in.  Smog laws were created to protect people's health, not to inconvenience or punish car guys. Despite old Datsuns and other collectible and antique cars being affordable project cars for fun and hobbies... cars other than daily drivers are considered by government to be luxury items like boats and swimming pools. If they are causing health or environmental problems like the Quagga (sp) muscles cross contaminating freshwater lakes and water-ways, government will have to step in to protect the natural resources and people.  

So, we will have to be creative to reduce the associated costs of our outdated luxury hobbies. Especially if we don't want to have cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars to purchase and service, cars that not only parks by themselves, but drives by themselves, tells you when a car is in the lane next to you, or in the future have a chip that tells big brother where you are, or possibly turns off if the cop sees you breaking a law!

In today's times, letting a street vehicle  continue to burn overly-rich or removing smog equipment in the name of "performance" is  like knowing  the dangers of smoking cigarettes and second hand smoke... and continuing to smoke or living in close proximity to smokers anyway.  I wonder why these guys don't learn to tune their cars to perform without the "cloud of asphyxiation?"  Ignorance is not bliss, ya know. But I guess this is  what keeps the health organizations in business, and so friggin rich, eh? Go figure.

Stay informed with documentable knowledge. Knowledge is power. Rumors are just fun stories.

If the SMOG laws were JUST for the peoples benefit , then all that would matter would be tailpipe readings.

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, paradime said:

Train Wreck.

My family has been in Cali for 6 generations and I for 52 years. If you lived here for 20 you should know the state has a very broad classification for old cars. It does not differentiate between classics, vintage, and antique cars. According to California DMV, if the vehicle was manufactured after 1922, and is at least 25 years old, it is classified as a "Historical" Vehicle. Therefore California has never smog tested classic cars, only historic vehicles newer than 1975.

No California does not set the national standard for automotive classifications, but if we look for a standard definition of what constitutes a "classic", there is no better authority than CCCA, The Classic Car Club of America. They only consider cars between the years 1915 and 1948 to be classics, and California has never smog tested these cars. Not a LIE, that's a fact. 

Now, lets define what "shithole" means. It would appear you see it as any place that has conservationist programs designed to protect the environment. I on the other hand see a shithole as a place where you shit. In this instance it would be a futile debate over what state is or isn't, because we're arguing about different things. Look on the bright side though, we may both be right. Although California has taken steps to address air pollution, we still create smog. ?  I guess it's Okay though, the Eastward Pacific jet stream blows it into our neighboring shithole.

????

God Damn- if you had any comprehension you might be near the same zip code as a near genius. I've forgotten more than you ll ever know about that shithole states automotive laws/rules.
Your state is on fire because of "conservationist programs". The on-shore winds from China carry particulates that get counted for the PPM/SMOG alerts. That's just brilliant.

TWO YEARS after I moved to Az. , Ca. DMV sent a letter to my Az. ADDRESS suspending the Ca. registration because they didn't like the way the state of Georgia did their paperwork six years prior.
And good ol moon-beam. His sole claim to fame is banging Linda Ronsfat over 38 years ago. Won't even get into  gun laws.

• Like 1

I would imagine that a class action lawsuit could be filed against CA based upon impedance of interstate commerce.  Putting smog equipment on a vehicle that wasn't originally equipped —especially a vintage vehicle— is onerous.  Requiring new residents to either buy a different car or else go through junkyard gymnastics isn’t reasonable.  At minimum, there should be  one of the following:

—incremental changes to later years in the cars that no longer require a smog test

—a reasonable pollution abatement fee for non compliant older vehicles

—a dollar limit to the expenses incurred in pursuit of  the vehicles YOM standard

—allowance for newer technology/equipment swapping that would allow DDs to be used on the roads.

The fee for non-compliance is really nothing different from what industry is allowed to do.  They can even buy carbon credits.

Interstate commerce isn't 'driven' by old Datsuns. 99.99999% of cars on the road are less than 10 years old, the rest are diesel trucks. Only vintage car collectors give a shit.

If you have a Datsun, it has all the emissions equipment on it. Easy as pie to keep that equipment in working order. The trouble is that people don't know what their emissions system does, or how it does it. This in turn leads to fear and suspicion of it and an adversarial relationship with the laws. If there was a 'reasonable fee for non compliant vehicles' everyone would pay it and drive around with a blue cloud behind them.

If you buy a Datsun you should know enough to not buy one that has missing/broken equipment. You should pay much less for it and fix it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Z-train said:

God Damn- if you had any comprehension you might be near the same zip code as a near genius. I've forgotten more than you ll ever know about that shithole states automotive laws/rules.
Your state is on fire because of "conservationist programs". The on-shore winds from China carry particulates that get counted for the PPM/SMOG alerts. That's just brilliant.

TWO YEARS after I moved to Az. , Ca. DMV sent a letter to my Az. ADDRESS suspending the Ca. registration because they didn't like the way the state of Georgia did their paperwork six years prior.
And good ol moon-beam. His sole claim to fame is banging Linda Ronsfat over 38 years ago. Won't even get into  gun laws.

Hah "conservationist programs" Like trolling fish in a barrel.

It was Linda who was riding Jerry's coat tales. Just like Reagan and Schwarzenegger he was, and is again the Governor of the greatest most powerful state in the Union. 

42334446010_f5b9ed1e78.jpg

I agree, you have forgotten a lot about California's automotive laws/rules and where they've come from. You forgot about birth defects from DDT, and acid rain. It's also slipped your mind that Moon Beam didn't create these regulations. In fact, it was Ronald Reagan who enacted CARB in 1967. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Seeker > 620 KC said:

If SMOG laws are not just about health, eliminating gross polluters, and paying for the program, what’s your theory? 

Follow the $$$.  Shocking, but I agree with Z-train here entirely.  Why does anything matter besides what comes out the pipe, if it's not about control and money?  Next is pay by the mile taxation.  Conveniently, they'll have to track your vehicle's every movement for this, and Californians will gladly give up their privacy.