Moving to Cali.....smog Q's

Gonna go ahead and start a new thread here....

I've done some research online and can't quite get a good answer.  I've got a 78 280z that is basically bone stock with Federal emissions still intact.  The question is when I move to California in July (Redlands area) will I have to get a catalytic converter or anything else?  I've found one site that says that if it passes the sniffer, I don't have to.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this.  Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, it still has all it's original emissions stuff on it.  I'm still thinking about putting a cat on it just to be on the safe side as mine didn't come with one from the factory.  If worse comes to worse, I'll find out when I get there..lol.

If you are going to put a catalytic convertor on your Z, check the California Air Resource Board (CARB) website to check which cats are allowed on your car. If you take it for a smog check, they will look for the part number and the Executive Order number on the cat. These must match what CARB has approved for your car.

I haven't personally had to deal with licensing an out of state car in a couple decades. A lot had changed since then. :sick:

• Like 2

If its bone stock and has all factory emissions still on it,it might not need anything but a smog inspection.A federal vehicle can be smogged here in California.Unless somethings changed recently.Dont waste money on a catalytic converter unless you have to.

• Like 4

Redlands???? It sure get hot there but best part is your near the Mountains and Desert if you like desert dwelling as I do. unfortunately we haven't any desert in New Hampshire nor do we have strict impossible smog laws, impossible traffic, and smog. What we do have is asshole drivers from Massachusetts (Massholes) and Connecticut 8>) freezing Winters and Snow 8>) blackflies, mosquitoes, humidity but damn do I love it here though I do visit LA every year to see family and friends.

• Like 1

If it's 75 or older there is no smog. 

Inspection Requirements and Exemptions

California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.

• Like 3

*and diesels up until some year in the 90s or early 2000s that I don't care enough to look up

• Like 2

This certainly applies to vehicles currently registered in California.  The big question is what if any inspection requirements and standards apply to newly introduced older vehicles?  The visual  and performance requirements for polution control equipment as if the vehicle were originally sold and delivered in California or the relaxed [as in no] requirement based on age?  This is the CA vs Other 49 states conundrum!  Hope the confused examiner rules in your favor!

• Like 1

This certainly applies to vehicles currently registered in California. The big question is what if any inspection requirements and standards apply to newly introduced older vehicles? The visual and performance requirements for polution control equipment as if the vehicle were originally sold and delivered in California or the relaxed [as in no] requirement based on age? This is the CA vs Other 49 states conundrum! Hope the confused examiner rules in your favor!

At least for me, when I brought my 71 521 into California from Oregon all I had to do was go to the DMV and have them look at the vin. They did no other inspection whatsoever.
  • Like 1

I am not a paid spokesman for the California DMV, but I did spend the ENTIRE god damn day at one today. As far as I know, there is no smog for any gas powered car older than 75 in state or out of state coming in. You could call the office you plan on registering the car to confirm. 

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter what state it was sold in originally, if it's 75 or older you don't need to smog it. 

Now, if you're moving from one state to another, i believe that the first time you reg it in CA you'll need to smog it, or at least have it inspected, not quite sure on that.

I almost bought a 710 from Florida and had to check it out, when I went to my local AAA office they said they would just need to do an inspection, i suspect that was just for insurance purposes but ya never know these days.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Figured I would update this since I've been here two years already...lol. The Z passed smog with all of it's original equipment. Since it is a federal car it does not require a catalytic and only needs to conform to the federal guidelines not California. This also means that I can legally install a header as long as it has the EGR installed. Also found that you can replace the fuel injection system as long as it is listed as a "replacement" for that particular vehicle. This means that the FAST f.i. sold by ZCarDepot as a replacement system should be legal...results may vary I would hazard a guess. Anyways, that's my update for now.

• Like 2
On 4/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, paradime said:

As far as I know, there is no smog for any gas powered car older than 75 in state or out of state coming in. You could call to office you plan on registering the car to confirm. 

The car is not technically exempt from smog controls as it was delivered.  It is exempt from the bi-annual inspections.  A few guys on here have been nailed for having a late model motor which isn't technically smog legal in an earlier car.  They can be done, but you need a CAT, and all the pollution controls from the donor car in place.

It also needs to be signed off by a smog referee.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Tolkmod said:

Doesn't matter what state it was sold in originally, if it's 75 or older you don't need to smog it. 

Now, if you're moving from one state to another, i believe that the first time you reg it in CA you'll need to smog it, or at least have it inspected, not quite sure on that.

I almost bought a 710 from Florida and had to check it out, when I went to my local AAA office they said they would just need to do an inspection, i suspect that was just for insurance purposes but ya never know these days.

Nope- AAA does DMV inspections. they are not for insurance purposes entirely.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Z-train said:

Tampering with emissions is a crime in that shithole state. And that INCLUDES adding a cat on a car that DIDN'T come with one.

Nope, it's not a crime, it's a civil violation. Unlike a moving violation though, there is no penalty other than denied registration if the vehicle does not pass smog or the emissions system is visibly altered. Same as Arizona law requiring vehicles pass emissions testing if driven into Tucson or Phoenix areas. So does that mean you live in a shithole too? Welcome to the club.