Ka24e swap to 80 HA10 (510) looking for options.

KE7AAA

Working on my budget build 80 Ha10 (510) Datsun wagon swapping in a Ka24e from a stock z20s. While cleaning up donor ka engine found some bent rods and half moon gauge (prob from valves hitting? (I am guessing the Ka had hydro lock due internal water I found) while preparing to hone block.

Now I am looking for rods/pistons for the ka and having trouble locating parts or donor engine(s).

I need to find used parts because the price for new rods/pistons is past what I can afford, haven't pulled valves but cam rotated them fine before I opened it up due to rods.

I hear Z24 rods will fit the Ka but I am unsure if Z24 pistons would work.

Is there any other from another engine that is comparable?

I am not up to date on engines I could mix/match with. I am in hopes this set back wont be too costly and I am not opposed to Frankenstein builds if it can benefit the engine performance.

Any suggestions or ideas would help greatly.

*During this build I have learned about T4/5 trans front case swaps and compatabilty between L and Z/ka trans if anyone is stuck on that let me know and hopefully I can help out.

Thanks!

Chris

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked into the z and ka rod crossover a couple years ago. The rod journals are different widths. I was looking at putting s13 rods in my z24 but they are narrower and had lots of room to slap around. So fitting z24 rods would require narrowing them.

Complete crank and rods would likely work though, but no guarantees.

Stanza is nearly identical kae engine. You can use stanza cam, rocker arms, valves, rods, pistons, crank.

D21 stuff should also work, but you go from floating piston pins in s13 to pressed fit piston pins in d21.

Good info!

I think I will stay away from the Z24 until I know more about the compatibility, what it will cost me, and start hunting down cars with ka internals.

I figured there would be a lot of Ka parts in yards as it seems most are doing SR swaps. I will look for the hard body D21 and stanza parts then and hope this widens my scope looking for parts.

Thank you!

240sx engines have floating rods and pistons, the D-21 do not. The 240sx rods have bushings in the small end. If getting D-21 parts get the crank and the rods then buy oversize pistons for a D-21 and have the block bored out to match.

Forget Z24 rods they are too heavy.

Z24 pistons on a KA will drop the compression way down. Z24 have 15cc dish, the KA24E is 2.8 ... BIG difference.