Boost referenced carb FPR(so expensive)

Extra schedule 40 elbows and straight pipe

Ssr Mk-3's waiting in frieght

Looking for:

Forged pistons

External wastegate

Wideband sensor

MSD Boost Timing Master

Gonna do my own water injection set up down the road with a nozzle, fuel pump, and Hobbes boost activated switch.

Asked the carburetor shop guy if a Weber 32/36 would leak fuel from boost, they put the myth to rest. A 32/36 doesn't need to be O-ringed, the shafts can handle it. Big relief for me

Hey 4 door kid , looks like your having a good time !!!!

Crank up the heat on that welder !! , is it a 110 volt machine or 220 Volt ? the manifold plate that bolts on the head might need to be pre heated before you weld it , or your not going to get any penetration , and if it too cold it will probably crack or break .

Mig over stick for sure , Tig would be even better .....

Cheers Fast720

• Like 2

Made first Cylinder piping about 5 inches shorter than the rest of the header. Subaru Rumble sound from uneven header.

77A7C9B3-62FA-41F8-A29C-0031C7F5BC3F_zps

Subaru engines are not inline they are flat like the old VWs. I think this is more to do with the strange exhaust sound not the length of a pipe.

Agree the auto darkening helmet is the greatest invention.

Subaru engines are not inline they are flat like the old VWs. I think this is more to do with the strange exhaust sound not the length of a pipe.

Agree the auto darkening helmet is the greatest invention.

It does kind of have to do with header length. A boxer will always sound like a boxer, but unequal length headers make for that Subaru rumble.

4doorkid, Sounds like you're on a better route than before. Nice work. 

Plenty of videos on YouTube covering said topic.

I like the boxer rumble.

But given how underpowered they are, getting equal length headers to squeeze the tiny bit you can out of them seems worth it. Even if you have to give up the sound.

I don't think an inline 4 would have the same effect.

You'd have to have 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 longer than the opposite to create any effect.

With that though, your scavenging would be all messed up. Possibility of creating backfires. One would think. Hm.

Sound travels at 746MPH or about 1,200 feet in one second. If a header pipe was 1 foot longer than the others it might delay the sound by 1 / 1,100  of a second. You might hear the out of phase cylinder but I don't think I can. It takes almost 400 times longer to blink your eye.

• Like 1

Manifold is looking good. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Sound travels at 746MPH or about 1,200 feet in one second. If a header pipe was 1 foot longer than the others it might delay the sound by 1 / 1,100  of a second. You might hear the out of phase cylinder but I don't think I can. It takes almost 400 times longer to blink your eye.

I don't think an inline 4 would have the same effect.

Not exactly boxer, but driving next to a scooby in it was an interesting experience.

2.4L ecotec with 4 to 2 header with mismatched cylinders (1 paired with 3, 2 with 4), dual exhaust for about 2' before going single.

• Like 1

The article I read, well more than a few actually were pretty conclusive about the exhaust tone produced by an uneven length header.

" The shorter runner on a UEL header will create a louder noise than a longer runner as it has less piping to travel through. This results in the iconic Subuaru Rumble. This rumble doesnt exist on cars running an Equal Length header"

Some articles mentioned the boxer motor also contributing to the tone. So many mixed reviews on the internet.. but 1 and 3 on my headers are definitely shorter than 2/4.

1/3 and 2/4 being matched, regardless of length...

One cylinder is pushing while the other should be sucking...

One exhaust valve starting to open as another is starting to close...

There has to be vacuum there somewhere...

Then the other pair of cylinders is doing the same thing...

Really seems like scavenging CAN'T happen...

The force of vacuum should be greater than the force of exhaust...

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow...not so much a 4 cycle anymore...

Not fact, just thinking out loud.

Interesting topic.

• 4 weeks later...