Noob Turbo L-16 from Hell

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O0V1vSC.jpg

You could do this yourself. Put gasket on, scribe around holes, take gasket off, grind away anything inside the line, blend inward as far as you can reach. Then do the intake and exhaust manafolds. When bolted together the ports line up very close with no lip. L head ports are good to begin with and there's more to be gained smoothing below the valve seats.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, That4doorKiD said:

Ok ok so I'm only going for a 350 Hp L20b now. Honestly I don't want wait any longer.

New Key Components

LOOKING 4

Carb manifold

Holley 2bbl Sniper EFI (Cheaper than Megasquirt and L18 EFI Factory Setup)

Fuel Cell

EFI Pump in tank

Hard Fuel lines 

Appropriate Clutch

T28 or GT30 maybe

The motor will be able to handle 350 no problem, but I don't know how much the carb manifold will act as a limiting factor.

We will see, only experience and time will tell. 

86mm JE Pistons currently

L20b Stock Rods Honed to 22mm Full Floating Pin

Composite Headgasket

ARP studs everywhere

I dont want to burst your bubble but 350hp is a lot for something that light. Having lots of hp does nothing if you cannot put that hp on the pavement. I own way too many cars and one is a 2000 audi tt fwd with the 1.8l turbo. I have done a stage 2 tune on the motor which puts me at about 250hp and 24psi boost. The problem is that it just spins tires like crazy. If the road is even slightly wet forget about even touching the gas peddle in 1st or 2nd gear. I have almost brand new 18" tires on her and she just cannot hook up. I just hear a lot of people wanting crazy hp out of cars that cannot put that power to the wheels. I know more seems better but if you spend lots of money on getting to 350hp and can only use 150 it seems wasted to me. Trust me I'm always in support of a good project, but you need a modern limited slip awd car to be able to put 350 hp down in a turbo set up. Plus hp is overrated. Torque is so much more important unless you are trying to pass someone at 100. Why do you think turbos had such a bad reputation until the last 20 years. Throwing high compression in something designed for low compression is just a time bomb. I love a turbo engine, I currently own 3 and a naturally aspirated engine is pathetic in comparison. My tt gets 6 mpg in town driven hard and 30 mpg on the freeway. I learned a couple.of years ago when working on my 65 bug not try and make something into something it is not. My Datsun is old and slow but I get more looks than a Corvette. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, That4doorKiD said:

who said I won't flair it and run 225s with an LSD i just bought?

Me and you are not the same😆

i don't know what a time bomb is to you but i'm definitely not building an economical daily driver to save gas or last me 50 years. enough said .

As long as you enjoy the build then I think it is awesome. Plus once you get her on the road you wont be able to get the smile off your face. And it's always so much better when you know you designed and built it yourself! All I was saying is that hp doesnt equal having fun driving. I get lots of looks in my datsun and love driving her. I wish she had more power, was more comfortable, etc but then she wouldn't be a 40 year old Datsun. Cant wait to see yours completed. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Keep in mind that too much is never enough.

I used to think the same thing until I got a cbr 954rr. Dry weight 369.9lbs. 154hp. That bike taught me there is a difference between hp and usable hp. Sure it would lay that much power to the pavement but when it will pull the front end off the ground on the freeway at 100 my balls weren't big enough to use it all. 

There is something great about having too much power that is hard to describe, I had a 1965 Nova with a strip built 350/Muncie 4spd when I was a kid(it had a Borge Warner T10 for a while), funnest car I have ever owned, it would bark the tires if I just let off the pedal in first and second for sure on dry pavement, it was dangerous to drive in the rain unless you knew how to drive it, give it too much pedal in 4th gear on a hill when it was wet outside and the back end would start coming around, but I could not let off the pedal either as the wheels would quit turning and the back end would keep coming around, I had to find the happy spot.

Just for fun I put it against a concrete filled metal post in front of Dairy Queen(with a tire between my bumper and the post), that was the cruise the gut spot in the cruise the gut era, anyway I ran the engine up to maybe 1300rpms and I slowly let the clutch out in 1st gear and got the wheels spinning, then I slowly let off the pedal until my foot was off the pedal(it was dry out), I then got out of my car and we watched it burning out for a while at an idle(I don't remember the idle rpms but it was not that high), something like that leaves an impression on the people around you, one just doesn't see something like that every day.

There was nothing on the street that could touch that car except maybe a motorcycle, it got really shitty mileage, three quarter mile races on lower river road and I needed gas, that engine wasted that uni-body car in 2 years, well I am the one that wasted it using the engine that way, the uni-body could not take it.

I will remember that car till the day I die, funnest car I ever owned.

Meh don't listen to the nay sayers, if you want 350 hp, go get 350 hp. It's a lot of power for a ~2000 lb car, so you have to spend money on safely getting the power down, handling, and stopping extremely well.  Don't expect to be able to use that power at all times, you've got to be careful and pointed in the right direction before nailing it. High power Datsun get squirrelly QUICK!  I have a 290 rwhp 2000 lb Datsun, a 550 rwhp 2900 lb 240sx, and a 620 rwhp 3300 lb Toyota. You just don't screw around as often, your right foot decides everything.