Noob Turbo L-16 from Hell

It's a 68 sedan!!

And looks like you have 2 of them.

Is that correct?

Looking good on the Turbo build.

Good luck and hopes you'll finish it.

Yes, someone noticed they are two different cars being used for test fitting, and both 68's.

MY CAR is not pink.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

751F764B-BE56-4634-8A0D-571657834FE4_zps

Turbo Hat for the 32/36

Last night cutting up some pipes for my intercooler piping

BADC0F92-05E9-4421-A6E8-3DB45AC12AE0_zps

Wasn't my first choice to do an intercooler on top of the bumper, but I'm not sacrificing my 68 valence for that soo.. headlights out, doesn't look half bad when the bezels are actually on.

And the hat on the carb is for my weber, I am not using the stock carb shown in the picture.

Tight fit on the passengers side because the battery, and radiator are a tight space when trying to clear the fan at the same time :lol:, but still made it work. Gonna run my piping straight up the passenger side then over the valve cover to the weber 32/36.

7FE61D13-6253-4604-884A-7B7B49B5BE13_zps

Sell me your intake manifold after this whole project fails........

By the way, some benificial info, in case you actually make a turbo manifold that doesn't fall apart.

HKS used to make a black box called an EGC, which stood for Electronic Governer Control.

The name really didn't fit what it did.

It was an ignition timing retard that had a pressure sensor, and would retard timing as boost came up.

The dash mount black box had knobs to set rate of retard.

You then just timed the engine to factory spec.s, and let the EGC control timing durring boost.

I'm running low boost and probably only run stock timing 5 degress retard til i can get an MSD Boost reference-able Timing Module.

And FYI I don't fail at things, when I really want something to happen, I do it.

Eventually soon, I'm gonna build a thick mild steel header with more practical welds, and rebuild an L-20 with a water injection set-up for my turbo. My project doesn't stop here maaaan.

I got all the parts for a reliable turbo build, just missing my Boost Timing Module and an optional water injection set-up.

i made a janky manifold (no offense)  like that when i did my r1 carb turbo setup and it completely cracked apart along the welds in a couple months. the next one i heat treated after it was all welded together. Heat it red hot and dunk it in some oil or something. that one lasted a lot longer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a lot of other projects hainz, and at the time our house was getting remodeled..my dad got caught up with things so chill it

Spend two hours getting that one running, then come back to this one, at least have one on the road this year, so much more motivating too

What stoney is saying, have one Datsun or project car running, have fun driving it this year, and that'll motivate your turbo build even more. At our house we have 4 Datsuns non-running. And man oh man I miss driving one.

We got 3 running dattos at the house maaan. I only miss driving mine tho :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  it's hit me the hardest ever

It runs, and the inevitable came...I'm going to build a new manifold just cause it'll crack soon and it could use some thicker gauge, I could run it right now how it is but I wanna take the more thorough route and build a quality manifold. Remember this one costed me a free chopped up header and $75 bucks to weld it up :lol:  and plus my turbo just spits out oil cause the seals are bad. Looking for a new turbo also.

This was one of the best feelings I've had so far building my car throughout this past year :confused:  or how long it's been haha, but knowing that I made my manifold with a band saw and cut up header, it was

awesome. I really just wanted to see this thing turn on! It was amazing honestly and can't wait til it's done...the right way, I'll be looking for a fabricator or maybe a top end performance manifold for my turbo to

position a little bit better, and I decided I'm going to throw on my stock set-up just cause I miss my car so much. I fuckn love my dime.

And this thing does run by the way :thumbup: , I just dont wanna risk any further destruction to my car that'll make me wait more repairing time to drive it.

A5882620-78C1-4902-8555-7161D755EC7A_zps8F831838-F97B-4391-A8FE-2BA1E4DCA299_zps7D81178A-16C3-4FFE-9EEC-091FCE1A57DD_zpsAE13E71C-7F4A-49DB-BD07-339A94237514_zpsF4655BE2-6BD6-4306-8FE4-5363D2CC3E03_zps

E5FE34C4-B0AE-4067-8936-252D826A40B4_zps

Free parking near my house and this wagon is not the same one that was on Craigslist a while back ago haha, they're almost identical tho lol

5666DBD0-2520-4217-941C-2E8AB3F51FF2_zps

• Like 1