vanilla

2 hours ago, DatsuNissanLove said:

Yoh wuhts up everybody.. it's been awhile.. I'm having issues with reinstalling my cam sprocket.. came off easy but the belt seems super tight now I can't get it back on.. any tips?

Did you have a wedge holding the tensioner in place when you removed the sprocket?

Even if you did the tensioner may have popped out..... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic torque specs are universal.

6mm bolt is usually around 6-8 ft/lb

8mm bolt is around 18 ft/lb

Remember, 6mm and 8mm refer to the thread, not the socket that fits on it.

6mm JIS bolt has 10mm hex head

8mm JIS bolt has 12mm hex head

So when referring to bolts and screws, use the thread size, not the wrench size.

• Like 1

Top Ten in no order...

#2 and #3 plug wire reversed. The difference between counter and counter clockwise timing order.

Distributor 180 out.

Timing tensioner dropping out.

Finding an EI dizzy but not getting the base that goes with it.

Using a closed chamber head on an L16 or worse, an open chamber letter head.

Replacing more than one electrical part at the same time because 'it won't start'.

Laying an L head down with the valves facing down.

Using a fram oil filter

Not using NGK spark plugs

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW,

Those Cal roadside smog checks are completely voluntary.  I got pulled over once and I told them politely I didn't have time and wouldn't volunteer.  There are no fines, tickets, or penalties for refusing to submit to the test.

https://www.ocregister.com/2014/01/03/on-the-road-no-penalty-in-skipping-smog-compliance-checkpoint/

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, DatsuNissanLove said:

Now I'm having trouble with the fuse that controls the heat n gas gauge.. keeps popping.. I believe it's a 10amp n I put a 15 amp n it still pops it.. am I being stupid if I put a 20 amp?

\

Yes.  Dont do that.  The fuse is there to be the weak point and prevent further damage.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, DatsuNissanLove said:

Now I'm having trouble with the fuse that controls the heat n gas gauge.. keeps popping.. I believe it's a 10amp n I put a 15 amp n it still pops it.. am I being stupid if I put a 20 amp?

fRwJ5oqdAUAQ-WOscH9arsjV7A_zR7cgd4qaXkxZ

Not really. Eventually it will catch fire and the problem is solved.

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
6 hours ago, DatsuNissanLove said:

It's been 4 years and I'm still waiting for a response...lol

Download the service manual.

Look at the wiring diagram for each circuit. Use a multimeter and test for continuity to ground where it shouldn't be.

There is no 1 size fits all answer. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of things on that fuse. 

Try unplugging the turn signal and hazard switch under the steering column and your voltage regulator under the hood. If the fuse does not blow, plug them in one at a time till it does and that's the cause.

You don't have an automatic do you?

• Like 1
On 9/20/2023 at 11:54 PM, Dusten said:

Download the service manual.

Look at the wiring diagram for each circuit. Use a multimeter and test for continuity to ground where it shouldn't be.

There is no 1 size fits all answer. 

I actually own the Manual and that's how I got it  back running after the whole almost burning it down due to an Incorrect bolt used to tighten the ground wire next to the radiator deal. (Previous owner shenanigans). Maybe I missed some wires that should've been repaired but I looked up and down and was pretty confident that I got to all of them. Idk maybe I need a new harness. SMH. I just want it back on the street.

On 9/21/2023 at 6:06 AM, datzenmike said:

There are a lot of things on that fuse. 

Try unplugging the turn signal and hazard switch under the steering column and your voltage regulator under the hood. If the fuse does not blow, plug them in one at a time till it does and that's the cause.

You don't have an automatic do you?

Nope it's a stick. I'll try it when I get time. I actually replaced the fused box with a new one around the time that this was happening and noticed that the plastic on the plug was getting hot and starting to deform from it getting hot. So maybe it was something else. Suhks cuhz I'm not good at electrical stuff. I just don't understand it.

Edited by DatsuNissanLove