brake booster 74' B210 sedan **COMPLETED**

Tolkmod

Hey guys, looks like my brake booster is failing.  

Anyone have a recommendation on a replacement?   Link?  Part number? 

Thanks!

Edit:

Checked rockauto.com  they're out of stock or just don't have it anymore.   :(

Edited for spelling...  me speel guud

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, looks like my break booster is failing.  

Anyone have a recommendation on a replacement?   Link?  Part number? 

Thanks!

Edit:

Checked rockauto.com  they're out of stock or just don't have it anymore.   :(

Make sure the clamps around the one way valve are secure and tight. Check the hoses to the booster and the engine are not cracked and are not loose on their fittings.

Connect a vacuum gauge between the one way valve and the booster. Start engine and let build vacuum to about 19 in. Hg. The vacuum should not drop more than 1 in. Hg in 15 seconds. See what happens...

Do the above but hold brake on. Vacuum should not drop more than 1 in. Hg in 15 seconds. See what happens...

Pump brakes several times to exhaust any residual vacuum. Step on brake and hold. Start engine. What should happen normally is the brake pedal should drop as the engine vacuum climbs.

• Like 1

How did you figure your booster is bad?

Does it have a replaceable check valve?

Is it holding vacuum?

cause this

The sound is from when I step on the brake, you can also notice the dip in RPMs at idle, I didn't really notice it but I think this has been happening since i got the car, It's just more prominent now, and it's getting harder and harder to stop the car.

I'll have to check that out D-mike, thanks for the trouble shooting tip... I'll let you know.

• Like 1

The only break booster I know is a DUI!  Oh, Oh. Oh you mean "Brake booster!" 

lol ha... typo's ftw

Junk yard or ~$100 for a rebuilt

already confirmed it's the booster, and have one on order.  Should be here sometime late this week.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

SOoooo  I finally gathered up my nerves (unable to have my buddy hold my hand on this one seeing as he has been extremely busy with work lately) and I replaced the brake booster all by myself!!    

I feel like singing that "i'm a big boy now" song and doing a little dance, but I'll save ya'll the migraines and scarring. 

This is the original booster, from what I was told by the PO it's literally the ORIGINAL booster lol

20160330_085204.jpg

Taken out, it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.  Thank goodness for my master all things Datsun b210 mechanic's book I got when I first bought the car.  It walked me through everything, was rather impressive.

20160419_133303.jpg

When my bud finally had the time to stop by he said that the booster had been completely blown out, that the center pin that goes into the master cylinder was so bad that he's shocked the car stopped at all.   I think you can sort of see how off to the side it was in the picture above, needless to say it was seriously easy to move around and it just flopped around like it was attached to nothing.

Here's the new booster installed!  

20160419_133308.jpg

Wow what a difference, my car stops on a dime now.  (Pun intended??)

Anyways, there was another awesome side affect of all this...   My vacuum leak is officially GONE, and holy crap the car runs like a champ now!!   I even had to adjust the idle again seeing as I had it turned up to about 1100 due to the vacuum leak killing it at idle, now I get an amazingly smooth 800-900 idle when the car is warmed up.   It's a beautiful thing...

Best thing of all...  I DID IT MYSELF!  Yay for the computer nerd being able to get his mechanic on!

:thumbup:

• Like 3