How to turbo and install 5 speed in Datsun 620 1974

I recently bought a Datsun 620 1974 L series 1600, it had an L18 but I blew a head gasket and such lol... So I'm gonna drop a l20 long block in it, and I mine as well put a new 5 speed tranny in, I also want to invest in a turbo kit just not sure what kind? Could someone help me in the right direction??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to ask about what turbo, then you had better forget it and do a lot more research. There is no 'kit' for the L series engines. You would have to make your own manifolds. There is so much more to this than throwing a turbo on it. Your L20B won't last one summer vacation before you hole a piston if you don't do your research. Draw through or blow through? What carb? Forged or hyper-eutectec pistons? This isn't an EFI engine you can re-flash the ECU or run larger injectors or 'tune' with a lap top. If this is what you think.... better get a honderp, right now.

Fix the head gasket (about $50) and enjoy driving it. L18s don't blow head gaskets unless abused or neglected. Not a good combination if planning a turbo engine. Five speeds are not faster than four speeds but if you drive a lot of highway miles it can be cheaper on gas. If living in town a four speed is fine. Build the L20B in spare time while learning about boosted engines and what's needed. Take your time and do it right. A simple system should handle 6-8 PSI boost reliably on stock pistons. More and you really have your work cut out.

Does this sound harsh? Well time to get the kids off the streets. If you don't know what your getting into, you need to know now, not later. Anyone can do anything if they really want it and have the time make the effort and have lots of money. If this is just a whim, a pie in the sky, flavor of the month thing ... sell it. Or re-evaluate, make a plan, research, research, research. This is the best way to increase your chances of success.

• Like 3

Force feeding your engine 50% more won't make it more reliable. Your best bet is a KA24E or DE engine swap and it's 5 speed. Makes at least 50% more power and way more torque than the L20B. It's fuel injected so good on mileage and only came with a 5 speed. Any '89- D21 Hardbody had them. This is a very well documented swap with few custom parts. Lots of help here getting this together.

I think ]2eDeYe makes the 620 engine mounts for this swap.

• Like 2

Power plus reliability means exactly what these guys are telling you.  Get a KA and swap it in.  Regardless of any percieved difficulty or cost, it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and easier to install a KA and have it running daily driver reliably, than it is to build a turbo L series for daily driving.  Even the wiring on the KA can be reduced to wiring in an extra 8 wires or so just by buying a Can/Am box from ratsun member Icehouse.  If you are ready with all the parts, the swap can be finished and running in a very short amount of time.

I want my 620 to be some what more reliable.. I drive from a lot of free way and street miles. I Also want more power.. Haha something to get around faster

Any engine is only as reliable as the maintience that it receives...As far as more power from an L series it can be achieved...I'm running a 268 cam, cannon intake, weber outlaw 38, header, a centerforce dual friction clutch and a lightened flywheel...it's an L20B and it's fast. I've not had a dyno done, I would guess it's maybe in the 115-125 hp range...it is my daily driver and it has plenty of power over the stock configuration. Prior to that, I had a 280 cam with a ported head along with everything listed above and it was Very Fast! But as a daily driver it wasn't great as far as gas goes...