Valvoline VR1 banned in California

While at the local NAPA today,thought I'd check the price on VR1.

NONE on the shelf,not even a price tag.

I was told that they pulled all of the non-detergent motor oils,as

they're now banned in the People's Republic of California.

Guess I'll have to go to Oregon to get more........ 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I got this all wrong. No one runs non detergent oils today it's all detergent oils. So little is used no one will notice.

Is VR1 a non detergent oil?? Why would racing oil be non detergent??

Racing oil usually has high ZDDP and that's probably what it was banned for.

• Like 3

Engines used to not have oil pumps. They oiled by splash and the crank throws had small scoops on the throws that somewhat forced oil to other areas that needed it like the valve train. If you were born in the 40s or 50s and had ever gone to a gas station the first thing they would ask is 'Check your oil?" It was absolutely vital that the oil not go below the crank or... no oiling.

Because of the way oil was delivered there were no oil filters and the best thing for dirt was for it to settle to the bottom of the oil pan where it would not get on the fragile bearings. There was no detergent in these oils and as you can imagine the entire inside of these engines was covered in a sludgy muck. Anything that got oil on it had a thick layer of it and this was normal.

As engine power increased oil pumps were added and the oil could be filtered. Now oil contained a detergent to keep the dirt in suspension so it could be pumped through the filter and cleaned. You did not want the dirt to settle when you could collect it in the filter and throw it away. Engines were much cleaner inside, much like today's engines.

• Like 1

VR1 in a black bottle = non detergent.

VR1 in a silver bottle = detergent.

Per Valvoline.

I like the clarification 

pretty soon we will have to pee in a filter before the toilet in cali 

• Like 2

I like the clarification 

pretty soon we will have to pee in a filter before the toilet in cali 

Down in San Diego, we were told we could no longer wash our boats or flush the engines with fresh water because it would run into Mission Bay.  Because God knows, you can't let fresh water run into a salt water bay.  I wonder  how they've gotten the clouds to avoid raining fresh water in the Mission Bay area.  I guess that's why there's a jetty to keep the San Diego river out of the bay.

• Like 1

Down in San Diego, we were told we could no longer wash our boats or flush the engines with fresh water because it would run into Mission Bay.  Because God knows, you can't let fresh water run into a salt water bay.  I wonder  how they've gotten the clouds to avoid raining fresh water in the Mission Bay area.  I guess that's why there's a jetty to keep the San Diego river out of the bay.

No quote!  The San Jose reclamanationt thepoject required  a serious problem!  Their outlet was too pure!  It sems that some insolte vermin creatures had insulated the muddy soil that it had had become a protected by the law!  Bottom hint, Vote "No"on vaugery worded restrictered "preservation" come back to injure you!