90 amp bolt in alternator on an L-series motor

Icehouse

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really think this tread got lost in the do it this way no this way shit that was going on in the first like 8 pages. That previous page was probably the most informative besides the first page. Looks like mike got the thread back on track....as usual

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used an S13 alt. and the 710 v pulley swapped over. Not perfectly... I had to make up a spacer/washer so the pulley wouldn't rub the alt. case, but it's been in an running for a couple of summers now. Make sure the belt is snug when charging... it takes a bit of torque to turn them and the belt will squeal. If a D21 alt is available I guess that would be easier.

and did you get the plug that goes into the alt out of a truck from the junk yard?

. I'm using the plug off of a 125 amp quest alternator wired as datsun mike shows above minus the t connector,I soldered and heat shrinked it to the the cars harness.the plugs are the same other than wire gauge which I don't see as an issue sense they are not carring high amprage.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

alright guys i have read this thread over and over again and have weeded threw the crap to come to this conclusion i have found 2 ways to wire my ka alt in this thread need to figure it out before i dive in 

this is the alt 

649E2897-orig_zps59ee06a5.jpg

the main charge pole and ground are self explanitory as well as jumping the regulator the main thing im trying to claify is the weather sealed plug i have a heavier gauge white with blue dashes  and a lighter gaige white with a red stripe 

B86DDB12-orig_zps22b408c6.jpg

My son (FAT510) replaced his 79 internally regulated with a 92/93 pathy alternator ( looks exactly like the one you pictured) and it hooked up exactly like the original one did,, meaning the little wire went to dash light and big wire went directly to battery,,, in a round-about way of course,,  but still.

(edit) his was single V grove belt style

The big question is what in the hell is on your shorts man?

• Like 1

lol its paint from when i painted the 610 

so from what your saying i can run it like icehouse described or threw the t plug like mike describedi think ill bolt it up and make temporary connections to see if it works then finalize everything when i have it how i want it  

• 8 months later...

I have a 90 amp alt on my 8o kc with an L20B. I used the v6 alt off of a d21 4x4. Easy to adapt pig tail if you save plug-end from donor. I 'machined' the water outlet flange  with a 3" Craftsman belt sander. Also cut a small clearance 'window' on top of alt housing..tight quarters but it fits. Paid $30 for a used alternator...better than new or rebuilt. EASY!! Fast..even the first time. WORKS!! CHEAP!P1050188.jpgP1050189.jpgP1050191.jpgP1050190.jpgP1050210.jpg

• Like 2

Pathfinder alternator on a L-18.

DragonAltFront_zps7af31dc3.jpg

Bottom mount.

DragonAltLowMount_zpsa5e0abf7.jpg

The Pathfinder alternator has 10MM holes on the bottom mount,  I got 8MM to 10MM sleeves in the holes, and used the mount's 8MM nuts. 

If you can drill a straight 10MM hole through the mount, you could use the long 10 MM bolt off the Pathfinder you got the alternator off of.

• Like 3

Pathfinder alternator on a L-18.

DragonAltFront_zps7af31dc3.jpg

Bottom mount.

DragonAltLowMount_zpsa5e0abf7.jpg

The Pathfinder alternator has 10MM holes on the bottom mount,  I got 8MM to 10MM sleeves in the holes, and used the mount's 8MM nuts. 

If you can drill a straight 10MM hole through the mount, you could use the long 10 MM bolt off the Pathfinder you got the alternator off of.

Thanks Dan....better installed pics than mine.

• Like 1