90 amp bolt in alternator on an L-series motor

Icehouse

You can use the datto pulley. I have seen a few variants on datto alternators. One was a two piece thing, don't use it. The other two were one piece, one needed the center hole drilled out to fit the shaft on the CS130 (Saturn alt is a CD130).

I use an overdrive pulley for a GM SI (older style GM alt). I got it from DC engineering in Bremerton from a guy I know that works there. I use this pulley because it gets the pulley ratio closer to where the GM stuff was factory. It is not a requirement.

You can also pull the single groove from any older(pre '83 or so) GM alternator.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slo, I think you put yours in a dime right?

I know in my 620 I couldn't use the stock inlet or the stock adjuster because the idler arm won't allow the alt. to rotate out from the block very far before it hits.

ariascarlos1990

There is a picture I posted of my setup, in this thread. It shows the belt I tried first and you can see the part number. Buy the next size down belt. The one in the pic was just barely to big.

Do you have the part # for the belt your using ]2eDeYe?

Guess ya missed this post a little before yours:

2eDeYe;91891']ariascarlos1990

There is a picture I posted of my setup' date=' in this thread. It shows the belt I tried first and you can see the part number. Buy the next size down belt. The one in the pic was just barely too big.[/quote']

Y'alls are lucky I'm feeling generous tonight: :D

620saturnalt.jpg

The parts guy should be able to help with getting one a slightyly different size.

The way the numbering works is....part of it is for the profile or size, the rest is the length. You'll notice that if you want a belt 1/2" longer, you can change the "0" to a "5"

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=3658&PARTPG=N2DRVSH&PMT4NO=0&PMITEM=88036405&PMCTLG=00&PMT4TP=*LTIP

...so basically, if you're belt is a 4L360, it's 36" long....if you want it an inch longer...you'd get a 4L370. Your belt may not be listed as a 4L, but the numbering for the length still works the same on the other profiles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My soldering credentials came from the Navy's "3M Micro and Miniature Soldering and Repair". We had to make repairs that were either better than the board came from the OEM or repairs that were not detectable under a microscope. We did stuff like multi-layer excavation on flex prints and then build back up, same concept with conformal coatings, replace a section of a board that was blown out - multi layer board no less, that sort of thing. Of course this is a HUGE extreme, but I learned a ton. It was about 16 weeks of training, most of which under a magnifier or microscope. In the end, I learned how to do the kind of thing we are talking about very well.

Which is why I'm willing to show whatever I learned to interested parties. It has been a while - 10 years actually, since I was in the school. But I use the knowledge often.

Anyway...

I am jealous. FT/FC Myself....tried to get the 3 Mike/Mike training, REQUEST DENIED! We have a 3M Repair Station on board. :cursing:

Feel Free to toss me a 3M Training Manual if you have one...Stupid Me, I should have certified out on it on my own initiative I guess.

How in the hell did ya get that saturn alt to work I put one in my 720 and all I did was waste a bunch of time cause mine don't work or its not wired right cause the stock 510 alt I have works. Or I'm just retarded cause I couldn't figure it out.

You get this to work man?

How in the hell did ya get that saturn alt to work I put one in my 720 and all I did was waste a bunch of time cause mine don't work or its not wired right cause the stock 510 alt I have works. Or I'm just retarded cause I couldn't figure it out.

A stock 510 alt. would be externally regulated so the Saturn would never plug 'n play without some wiring. Why would you have a 510 alt. in your 720 anyway, the 720 is easily twice the output.

Cause it was the only alt I had that worked at the time I never did get my saturn alt to work I think it was bad I ended up buying a 60amp 200sx alt so I could get my truck back on the road I was desperate for a alt at the time. Ill be trying it again on my goon when the time comes

This is the one I bought, is it the right one or will it work? It is for a 1994 Saturn SL2.

Link no longer works...

Out of the two options,

A) Remove a used alternator out of a wrecked Saturn

B) Purchase a rebuilt alternator from an auto parts store with a warranty

I guess I'm leaning towards Option B

Is there a definitive make, model and year to use when ordering a rebuild alternator from your local auto parts store?

:confused:

If someone can provide some specific information I'll order the alternator and do a little write up on this project for the forum with pictures for future generations of Ratsun members.

:)

Option A cost me $35 or so and I got the wiring pigtail from the donor to splice into my trucks wiring.

Then you'll have a core for Option B if the the j/y one doesn't work. Of course, they are cheap and fairly easy to repair.

A well documented swap would be awesome as we just have bit's here and there....

2eDeYe;100547']Option A

cost me $35 or so and I got the wiring pigtail from the donor to splice into my trucks wiring.

I'll try get to Pick & Pull before they close.

Any model Saturn?

(I know nothing about Saturns... it's a car right?)

:D

• Like 1