Icehouse

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I installed the new Saturn alternator, that was the easy part. Only modification would be to the alternator bracket and find then head to AutoZone for a shorter belt. My problem is wiring, I can't get the wiring correct

IMG_20170712_180108_zpsngj5laep.jpg

IMG_20170712_180304_zpsbtghhl7h.jpg

IMG_20170712_180300_zpspagkw0ig.jpg

Search for the internaly regulated alt swap. Theres info on a thread somewhere that tells you to loop some wires (short them to themselves) and join the choke heater wires on the carb. I have a 76, I don't know if it's exactly the same, because I have electric choke on the factory Hitachi dch 340. I will try to get some pics going

• Like 1

I installed the new Saturn alternator, that was the easy part. Only modification would be to the alternator bracket and find then head to AutoZone for a shorter belt. My problem is wiring, I can't get the wiring correct

IMG_20170712_180108_zpsngj5laep.jpg

IMG_20170712_180304_zpsbtghhl7h.jpg

IMG_20170712_180300_zpspagkw0ig.jpg

Can't tell what your vehicle is... 620???

Find the old external voltage regulator. Cut the plug off but keep the wires long. Join these two pairs of wires....

White/Black and White/Red

White and Yellow

Join and solder these two pairs of wires and wrap with electrical tape or better yet use heat shrink tubing on them. Remove the other wires on the plug they are not needed. Plug this plug back into the engine wire harness and you're done. Nice and neat.

Now is this a 620??? because there may be one more thing to do yet.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

The problem is most people do not know how to properly aim their headlights! First the hid bulbs may be centered a little different than the H4s throwing the aim off, or the aim may be off a little to begin with. With the halogens it may not be as noticeable, so when you add 300% more light it makes a big difference. As most people know as you get older, you need all the light you need, so I have HIDs on all my cars and trucks, and they are properly aimed to put the light on the road, not up in someones eyes, and they are 6000K Daylight color, not that stupid blue or purple that is trendy, but puts out less useable light. Being an ex proffesinal driver for most of my llife, I believe in safety and having as much visability as possible at highway speeds at night.

Another thing, it's a misconception that HID draw more power, they draw less than the typical halogen, another reason I use them. All my Datsuns have all leds and hids to reduce load on the alternator, my heater no longer slows down when I turn on the head lights with the wipers on.

I tried the relay and heavier wire thing on a 280Z I had a few years ago, and it made no difference, next tried a 80 amp GM alternator, still had dim lights!

Do your research before bad mouthing a product, also they are not that expensive, I just paid $60 for a conversion for my 1200.

Resurrection but sorry I couldn't help myself as this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  The actual problem is that HID projectors and halogen h4 projectors aka Fresnel lenses are not the same nor do they have/use the same cut off. HID cutoff looks like an lightning bolt sitting on its side where as a halogen cutoff is a greater than sign eating the floor. (the floor is greater than _______!)  Anyway having the wrong projector or worse no projector causes the HID light beam to disperse rather than remain focused.  This creates glare regardless of how it is aimed insuring that everyone coming the other way is blinded and that you are actually getting less light and therefor can see less EVEN IF in your mind you think you are seeing better...  Yes it is mental.  If a conversion is done properly (of which 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% are NOT done properly.)  You will get a focused beam that you can actually properly aim and not have any of the glare problems.  Sooo.  Unless you have conversions with the proper HID projectors in the housings then contrary to your belief that they are properly aimed you are actually blinding all oncoming traffic.  (The you or your being anyone with a conversion and not being aimed at the person I quoted.  I just had to set the context.)

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:34 AM, dude said:

I'm gonna post pics of my setup and and what I bought when I get back from work tonight. Part numbers and such.

Yeah after reading it and the intro post I may have been.... well out of my element on that one lol.