Mopar v8 510

I am building a ratsun out of ol Davy jones locker 510 goon

I found out that the distributor is rusted in place on the l16 and then started looking around.. I found a 273 from a 65 dodge dart that I have hanging around and I've decided that the 510 would be cooler with a small block mopar.

Any one have any thoughts?

I know the motor is a bolt in swap on a 280z so i may need firewall modification maybe a Trans mount, but all l series engines have the same mounts right?

As for aesthetics I need to eccentuate the rat rod theme... I'm thinking side pipes ... anyone seen those on a 510?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mounts are similar, but where they locate a motor in the engine bay works out to be significantly different between the 4 and 6 cylinder L series.

All you will get is crap for asking about v8 swapping a 510. Do it. Talking about them in theory always just starts a storm.

Distributors are aluminum and don't 'rust' in place. Two bolts and they lift out.  

280z and 510 are NOTHING alike. Don't draw any conclusions from the fact that they both have an L series engine name. V8s do NOT fit in a 510, those who have done so have had to cut the firewall, and trans tunnel, so goodbye heater. Every part is a 'one off', custom hand fitted, hand made part. Exhaust is a nightmare to clear the steering box and linkages. Oil pan to crossmember clearance. Larger springs. They almost always run too hot because no room! H-165 differential really isn't up to V8 power. The L16 weighs about 250 pounds, I don't know what the old 273 weighs but if like a SBC its 500 pounds. The 289 is lighter and has the distributor in the front but better is the 215 Olds/Buick aluminum block. It does the least amount of weight damage but the original L16 will easily out handle it.

If you can't replace an L16 distributor don't start cutting a 510 up for a V8. You have a 280z that has oodles of room for one, and the differential is stronger. Here you could draw some conclusions from looking up this popular and well documented engine swap.  

This car should've been garbage keep that in mind first of all.

I will cut the firewall just to prove my point rat rods are custom cars and that's what I'll build.

The rust is on the adjuster arm coming off of the distributor causing the ignition timing to be too far off for the engine to run...

I also already have a 280z and an 810 goon which will not fit the rat rod name. They will be more stock slightly modded restorations.

The 510 is a recuerde in whatever shape you finally see it in.

I do have an l16 for sale if you guys need an anchor for your boats!

If it's a roach already just cut the wall and slam the motor as far back in the compartment as possible. Get it so it's sitting behind the strut towers (at least mostly) and you should be able to still make it handle well (kinda). 

Keep in mind the transmission bellhousing will be within a fingerlength of your family jewels, but if you cared about safety, would you reaaaaallly be driving a Datsun?

Once upon a time there was the "Bluebird" down here in the bay. Box flared maroon two door with an Olds V8 in it. Seen it a few times in person, used to belong to the guy that owned a Firestone tire store here in Mountain View -- now it's in the hands of the Hale estate and hasn't run in a while. That was a sweet car, apparently pretty quick too. 

You just need to be willing to do it right, if you plan out the engineering well and cut up something that most other's wouldn't try to save, go for it. 

I always love when someone asks a question about a v8 in a 510 then instantly gets all pissy no matter what the answers are.

If you want to build it then build it, but its not good if you can't figure out how to get the distributor clamp loose on the L16.

• Like 1

I always love when someone asks a question about a v8 in a 510 then instantly gets all pissy no matter what the answers are.

If you want to build it then build it, but its not good if you can't figure out how to get the distributor clamp loose on the L16.

X-fucking-zaklee! Rust isn't the cause of it being out of time. Someone set it that way to run and it most likely did. The timing adjustment plate is steel but it screws into aluminum. It's easily fixable, at worst replaceable, and not the best reason for cutting up a car for a V8.

I am building a ratsun out of ol Davy jones locker 510 goon

I found out that the distributor is rusted in place on the l16 and then started looking around.. I found a 273 from a 65 dodge dart that I have hanging around and I've decided that the 510 would be cooler with a small block mopar.

Any one have any thoughts?

I know the motor is a bolt in swap on a 280z so i may need firewall modification maybe a Trans mount, but all l series engines have the same mounts right?

As for aesthetics I need to eccentuate the rat rod theme... I'm thinking side pipes ... anyone seen those on a 510?

You asked for thoughts. You have them. Do it if you're doing it, but not a good idea because you can't work the original engine and there's a V8 laying about.

The 273 or any V8 is not a bolt in swap to a 280x car, no engine is... do-able ... yes. 'Bolt in' not. 10X not on a 510.

No one has seen 'side pipes' on a 510 because no one runs V8s in them for the above reasons.

Good call on mid engine. One of my buddies decided the most ridiculous thing he could think of was to put a bmw 750 5 liter v12 in a 510 wagon behind the front seats. Since then he's been sad I won't let him do it to mine.

Pearl, type V8 into 510 or some other variant and read any posts on it. There may be some good ideas for things to avoid. If going this way you might as well do everything possible to maximize your chances of success.  

To anyone who thinks I am such an ill mechanic I have the l16 if you want to waste your time and money.

I asked for opinions yes. not a barrage of "look at this idiot"

I don't think anyone here understands what work is the pride when you drive your car down the road after 8-10 years of painstaking work knowing no one else has that car.

Almost everyone does the same cookie cutter factory restoration. If I wanted that I would have bought one of yours.

Instead I bought a rusty shell for 500.00 that was going to go to the scrapper because no one else wanted it.

Because that's what I do I rescue datsuns and I've rescued 8 so far in my life so the next guy who thinks I'm scared of a little work just think about it real quick

I own an 810, I own a 280z, I own a 510, and I've had many many more before I got the ones I wanted.

As far as a 510 and z being the same the both run a McPherson strut assembly right?

Oh yeah that is right so theoretically I could widen the front stick a z car front suspension under there and then everything is the same besides the garbage straight axle rear end, which I would replace before even putting an l20 in there.

What I'm looking for out of my 510 is to make it mine to make it quick.. not fast..and enough torque to throw the rear tires loose at 40 mph it is not my race car I have a z for that it's not my badass family wagon I've got my 810 for that it's my rat rod 1 of a kind creation made from what I have lying around.

Thanks guys. I was looking for a little more of a "sure dude but keep in mind the car being subframe might twist under that much load" or "that sounds cool man".

I wasn't asking for self righteous datsun purists to knock my idea senseless.

To anyone who thinks I am such an ill mechanic I have the l16 if you want to waste your time and money.

I asked for opinions yes. not a barrage of "look at this idiot"

I don't think anyone here understands what work is the pride when you drive your car down the road after 8-10 years of painstaking work knowing no one else has that car.

Almost everyone does the same cookie cutter factory restoration. If I wanted that I would have bought one of yours.

Instead I bought a rusty shell for 500.00 that was going to go to the scrapper because no one else wanted it.

Because that's what I do I rescue datsuns and I've rescued 8 so far in my life so the next guy who thinks I'm scared of a little work just think about it real quick

I own an 810, I own a 280z, I own a 510, and I've had many many more before I got the ones I wanted.

As far as a 510 and z being the same the both run a McPherson strut assembly right?

Oh yeah that is right so theoretically I could widen the front stick a z car front suspension under there and then everything is the same besides the garbage straight axle rear end, which I would replace before even putting an l20 in there.

What I'm looking for out of my 510 is to make it mine to make it quick.. not fast..and enough torque to throw the rear tires loose at 40 mph it is not my race car I have a z for that it's not my badass family wagon I've got my 810 for that it's my rat rod 1 of a kind creation made from what I have lying around.

Thanks guys. I was looking for a little more of a "sure dude but keep in mind the car being subframe might twist under that much load" or "that sounds cool man".

I wasn't asking for self righteous datsun purists to knock my idea senseless.