720 nissan truck

bobbyanthony1965

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suddenly started doing this? or you don't know because you just bought it?

Standard or automatic?

Dies... when driving or idling at lights?

Need lots of info... like what have you done to the truck as this can sometime point something.

• Like 1

I've had the truck for 3 years & it's been a good truck but recently I took a 500 mile trip & the next day after it started cutting off while driving it would start back up, but then it started doing this more often and now it won't even go one block before it cuts off.

it runs good at home it will run all day it's only when I drive it so I removed the drain plug on fuel tank and drained fuel didn't see anything inside tank changed in line fuel filter removed fuel filter in fuel pump, checked filter on carb then took it to the street but it still would cut off before I got to the block so then I replaced fuel pump,carb,checked vacum lines then the same thing happen so then I didn't have anything else to change on fuel system so then I started thinking it's electrical or fire problem so I replaced cap,rotar,spark plugs,ignition module then tried it again but like always it does the same thing I won't to replace coils but I'm thinking that I'm spending lots of money for nothing and I need to ask for help

You need spark and fuel and to a lesser extent some compression for any gas engine to run.

The test for electrical after it quits is pull a plug wire and check for spark. An old plug helps or a screwdriver in the end of the wire and hold near a ground. There can only be spark, or no spark. Replacing the module/coils is expensive and now you have a spare. Won't hurt to have change the cap and wires.

The test for fuel is look at the round sight glass on front of carb. Is there fuel at the dot in the middle? Replacing the carb/fuel pump is expensive too so keep the old ones as a spare.

The 720 has a fuel pump relay that can be problematic. Next time it quits immediately turn the ignition off, like IMMEDIATELY so that if it is the electrical pump, it won't get a chance to refill the carb before you can check.. Now look at the carb is there gas in it? If not it might be the fuel pump is turning off. It requires several inputs to come on and keep it running.

Ok well I've already replaced the fuel pump and carb it's new and the new carb doesn't have a sight glass like the old one to see the fuel level but when the old one was on I noticed the fuel level was half way on glass, is that enough or should the fuel need to cover glass completely ? also the the truck only cuts off when it's moving so can't check loss of fire to plugs with it moving,and when I'm at home not moving it's running good so I know it's getting fire to plugs.

Is it possible that fuel pump relay is cutting off when I'm driving but not when it's in park ? how many relays to fuel pump does it have ?

Half way but it can easily fill up quickly with an electric pump. The trick is when it quits, to get it shut off to preserve exactly what's in the carb at that instant. So what carb? As it didn't help, maybe put the old one back on just for diagnosing the problem.

The fuel pump relay is a strange animal. It's on the passenger side kick panel up under the dash beside the glove box. You can make a jumper wire to force the pump to be on with the key on. If the problem goes away you at least know it's a fuel delivery problem.

Located here...

2238119_f260.jpg

Looks like this...

2238126_f260.jpg

Make a jumper wire to connect the Accessory wire (L is Blue) to the Fuel pump wire (WB is White/Black stripe) This will turn the fuel pump on at all times the ignition is on. This is not a fix just a diagnostic to see if the problem is one of the inputs to the relay or the relay itself.

2238132_f248.jpg

Does your alternator charge properly? Does the red charge light flicker or glow at night?

Does your oil pressure light flicker at all?

• Like 1