710 ball joints

Trying to get the ball joints out, what I'm seeing does not equate to what I'm reading. Keep seeing that I need to loosen the pinch bolt, but there is none that I see. Where the castle nut should be seems to be inside the strut, but I know that can't be right. Any insight into what I may be missing? 77 710 goon

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to get the ball joints out, what I'm seeing does not equate to what I'm reading. Keep seeing that I need to loosen the pinch bolt, but there is none that I see. Where the castle nut should be seems to be inside the strut, but I know that can't be right. Any insight into what I may be missing? 77 710 goon

Take it apart, should be similar the 510, Z car etc.  What you see is what you have.  Books can be wrong.

There is a ball joint beneath the strut tube on the top outer end of the lower control arm. Look on the underside of the LCA you'll see the grease nipple. You will have unbolt the steering arm from the bottom of the strut to see the top of it. The top of the ball joint and the castellated nut are 'inside' the bottom of the strut tube.

There are 4 smaller bolts holding the ball joint to the top of the LCA. Two of these bolts also secure the tension rod.

• Like 1

I'm kinda thinking they are, just trying to verify. And trying to not remove half the suspension to get it out lol. Not a problem if I have to, but I'd rather not if I don't

Just drop the outboard end of the front control arms (LCA). It isn't brain surgery, get to know your car.

What you don't realize doctor510, is that I have a bad habit of doing something just like that thinking "it's not that complicated" and royally fucking something up. It's my first time ever doing it, I don't have much cash squirelled away for it, so I'd rather not just dive in and hope I don't break shit. Especially if it's something that contradicts itself like this did.

• Like 2