Coil over without camber plates? 510

fisch

These are my mystery coil overs from a recent post.  I measured the disc and it is a little over 230mm, and with these brakes I think that makes them 510, right? The PO thought for sure he got them from something else. Could they be 610 or 710? These were def on a  510.

Anyway being a newbie to coil overs, can I run these with out camber plates if I use a stock top hat and not this slotted one? I am working on the suspension for my wagon now , doing t/c rods and strut bar, and wondered while it is apart, if I should just throw these on, because I think the goon might have rally springs on it, it is so high!

I am also putting on a t/c rod kit. The one with the spherical plastic ball and the aluminum cup.

Will I still need bump steer spacers?

I also have one of those asymetric camber correcting bushing kits somewhere I could run. Kinda like these. But not these. Not sure how complicated they are to install/adjust?

whiteline-w53347-large-1.jpg

Nose Bleed Status

IMG_4840.jpg

The cure.

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

Or maybe I should be more patient and save up for some bump steer spacers and proper camber plates.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_5210.jpg

The caliper is consistent with the 510 and very early 710/610 till '74 ish.

How is the rotor attached to the hub????

Why are the wheel studs so long???

Can't read the part number on the strut tube... 54302-22030???

Edit, oh wait you want to know how the rotor attaches, not the caliper. Will check tomorrow!

You can kinda see the caliper mounting here, but I can take clearer photos tomorrow. And I think you have the number correct. 54302-22030

IMG_3836.jpg

Wait, hold the phone Mike. On a whim I looked up the number in the back of the How to Hotrod and Race Your Datsun book. It would appear that 54302-22030 is the factory race suspension strut! (510,610,710) Now I don't imagine the coil over set up is factory, but man, that is pretty sweet!

FactoryRaceStrutinfo_1.jpg

• Like 1

that spring will be to small of a diameter for any stock Datsun top hat. I don't have a real good salution other than changing the spring and adding a lower perch. then use the matching upper seat and bearing, and ad the top hat (strut isolator )of your choice. the 710 top hats have camber built in on the later ones.

• Like 1

on second thought, pull that "isolator" slider thing off the top, and try to put a stock bearing and top hat onto the upper seat, see how it looks.. if the bearing has a good contact to both and nothing else hit it would work.

Techno Toy Tuning sells a coilover "top" to use with stock 510 top-hats. You want the tapered one, not a flat top, so it can wedge into the stock top hat. They're like $20 for a pair: https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/conical-upper-hats-coilovers-25-id-springs.... Just make sure your springs are 2.5" diameter.

25754368772_95c6572fcb_c.jpg

I didn't see this, I like it

Techno Toy Tuning sells a coilover "top" to use with stock 510 top-hats. You want the tapered one, not a flat top, so it can wedge into the stock top hat. They're like $20 for a pair: https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/conical-upper-hats-coilovers-25-id-springs.... Just make sure your springs are 2.5" diameter.

Well go figure. My springs are only 2.25" id, not 2.5. Which I guess means I can fit a wider tire by 1/8, lol, but not so good for this top hat swap, unless I get new springs too. Or know a machine shop.

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

most springs sit above the tire, you could probably bolt it alll to gether on the bench to make sure, but the spring diameter will probably not effect you at all if your running stock camber and caster. what size wheel and tire are you planning? even a 15x7 12 clear my stock perch and springs, welded to the stock zx height.