water pump options?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an "Import Direct" from O'Reilly (part number CP9009) with the cast iron impeller. Just a word of warming though, the impeller will contact the inner circle cast part of the timing cover. You'll have to file each impeller a tad. Not a big deal, just something to note before installing it and wasting a gasket. There is also a weep hole on the top of the case, as well as the bottom one. Not sure why it's like that, but it is.

How bad is it leaking? If it's not that bad, I would rock auto it and also add other stuff you need in the shipment. I've never ordered just one thing.

It's a crapshoot ordering one from the parts chains. My oreily import direct has a stamped impeller as opposed to the cast one.

Food for thought and your call. Good luck

NAPS-Z and Z-car aren't the same.  A Z-car fan won't fit the NAPS-Z water pump.

It's possible but improbable that the NAPS-Z water pump will be the same as the L-series one.  The '79 510 used 2 different size fan clutches depending on whether the car had A/C or not, with the bigger clutch on the A/C cars. 

But, I tried using a Z24 water pump (truck one) in an A10 and the fan wasn't the same, so I tried using the truck fan and it wouldn't clear the radiator.  So mixing and matching isn't a good idea unless you have a large quantity of parts to try.  Even with all my parts, I never found a fan that would fit a Z24 truck pump and clear the A10's radiator.

• Like 1

NAPS-Z and Z-car aren't the same.  A Z-car fan won't fit the NAPS-Z water pump.

It's possible but improbable that the NAPS-Z water pump will be the same as the L-series one.  The '79 510 used 2 different size fan clutches depending on whether the car had A/C or not, with the bigger clutch on the A/C cars. 

But, I tried using a Z24 water pump (truck one) in an A10 and the fan wasn't the same, so I tried using the truck fan and it wouldn't clear the radiator.  So mixing and matching isn't a good idea unless you have a large quantity of parts to try.  Even with all my parts, I never found a fan that would fit a Z24 truck pump and clear the A10's radiator.

That's why I said just get the one that you know works. 

• 2 weeks later...