My new 521

Datsunthug

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought all my stuff from Rockauto and it showed up within one week and seven different boxes. Rebuilt the whole thing in a weekend. Just have some good tools and a torque wrench!! Easy to do. Watch Hanzi's video on how to put an engine back together and you can't go wrong!!

• Like 1

what you going to do?

I just pull the engine dont need the ramps unless your pulling th trans also. other wise lower it to just pull the motor and get a spare jack to hold up the trans.

drop starter and loosen up the slave cylinder pull the exhaust manifolt to the side and the motor should come out.

I remove the intake. if small hands you can get a box end of wronch in there to loosen the bolts. Dont use the open end as might round the hex.

putting back in is litlle harder on the pass side motor mount but ez once you know.

Buy antiseize(dont be cheap for reinstall all the bolts

I pull the water pump alternator also top help clear

most people put a blanket under hood when resting on truck cab not to scratch.!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks banzai! Yes the tranny is coming out at the same time. I have small foam pieces under the hood to keep it scratching the roof.

The plan for now is pulling the drivetrain and lots of cleaning and prepping for another motor

Going to pull the heads off the L16 to see how worn the cylinder walls are before deciding if I will rebuild it ( re-ring it) otherwise I think I will be doing a KA swap and disc brake conversion.

I quit smoking cigs so this is my new addiction

• Like 1

Oh shit a KA conversion. hope you complete.

stay with EZ just fix the L motor

a KA is going to cost you even if you get motor free

last coupLe truck guys asked alot of ? THEN THEY ARE NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN. mention pulling motos and swaps then bam. Gone.

:D

• Like 2

I ride a 75 2 stroke RD350. neihboors are alwasy pisssed

this is a ool truck

last couple guys wanted to swap to KA motors cause their carbs were most likely bad.

So swappign a carb is about a hour job and 225$ for a new one.

A KA is about 2K on the cheap and most likely never gets completed as what I seen on here. there are a few that surpass my expentations and my ability. but far and few between. Just buy the incomplete projects on craigslist. and there is one always to be found.

grandma/ drove it for 40years. ratsun kids kills it in 6months and towed away

• Like 2

This truck will be on the road by May. Even if I just rebuild the L16. Trying to find time with two jobs and 5 kids under 12 has its demands but my 10 year old son is interested in helping me. It motivates me faster than anything to be able to teach my son the basics of mechanics and get grease under my nails with him.

• Like 1

I have all the time in the world to get a KA and swap it out later. Gathering parts is fun. Like Easter egg hunting. I'm more concerned with the brakes and suspension being safe and reliable.

It will eventually get some go fast goodies but for now I just want to drive it. Badly

• Like 3

I have all the time in the world to get a KA and swap it out later. Gathering parts is fun. Like Easter egg hunting. I'm more concerned with the brakes and suspension being safe and reliable.

It will eventually get some go fast goodies but for now I just want to drive it. Badly

That's a good way to go about it!

• Like 1

No contradiction.  You can parts shop on your phone while watching tv with the kids, or while sitting on a train or bus commuting from work.  Taking the time out to spend multiple evenings in the garage is a different story. 

• Like 2

You're good no matter what you decided to do. L, KA, SR. Either way, I think what these guys are saying is just have fun and don't give up after starting, yeah! I rebuilt my L16 and drive it everyday. Not super fast or even fast, but fun as hell. People look all day long and smile. Best feeling in the world. This is why I drive her everyday and not the BMW!

Oh, do mikes disc upgrade. You'll love yourself all day for doing it. Not even kidding!!!!!!!

• Like 2

The thing that we see a lot of here on Ratsun is people will get a Datsun car or truck and start cutting it up with good and full intentions of finishing it then life changes for them and you will see that they ended up scrapping it.

The part that we do not like is the scrapping of the Datsuns.  I have to drive hundreds of miles to find Datsuns in a junk yard in order to get some parts I need.  The people that scrap the Datsuns at a metal recycle place do not let the Datsun parts have a chance at being used on another car.

I am not saying this is what will happen with yours.  I hope you enjoy your Datsun for many years and then pass it on for some one else to enjoy.

• Like 1

at this point driving it consumes me. Going to order the parts to rebuild the engine as soon as I pull the motor apart to see if I can use stock rings, or if machine work is necessary along with new pistons. I'm hoping it will be within specs so i can get it going by my birthday in May. I'm not the kind of person to ruin a piece of history by scrapping it. I love this truck almost as much as my 70 Dodge Challenger. I had to get rid of the dodge cause my ex wife was a pile of poo that didn't appreciate the car. The amazing woman in my life now can't wait to drive the Datsun around with me. She used to have a 69 521 and she loved it

Working in the garage to get away from your woman vs. working in the garage with your woman. I'll take the second option

• Like 1

I think we need to get the motor back together first before this does go to the scapper. thinking of ordering disk brakes.?????

Loose a 70 Challenger cause the wife? I think you need more IkeTurner in you to handle this better.

most time the main and rod bearing journals are fine.  I always take my block in to get done and all say they need a rebore. Then new pistons rings. and cost of machining. This added to about 800$ for the block. I had 2 blocks done and bearing were std size used.  If you can get away with stock rering that would be cheaper.

Brakes are number one priority. Even if it's slow, I want to stop on a dime?????? if you give 2 car lengths and brakes are tight its fine and don't cost nothing.

• Like 1