My new 521

Datsunthug

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wipers flop all over the place. Way too much play in the mechanism.....I can move them about half way before they actually "catch". Mostly the drivers side wiper. I'm going to need to take it apart and see if there is a bad bushing or something that is giveing it the extra play. Maybe because the motor is on the passenger side the rod being longer might give it more slop?

Anyone rebuild theirs recently that has any advice

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Went to the junkyard looking for suitable weather striping for the doors but wasn't lucky. Been driving it every day it hasn't been raining. I finally put a timing light on it, was off a little. I tuned it by ear a couple degrees advanced, but it starts better now. Need to fix the stumble off idle, but the bitch runs strong.

• Like 1

The guy who gave me my truck has a box of parts to give me. He was cleaning out his garage and found some new points, gaskets, plugs, wires and a cylinder head he said was "the high performance one" whatever that means. Hope it's a 219 casting...... probably not maybe a 58 or 67?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

How's it been guys. Haven't been on here in a while, so I come bearing questions? What size are the bolts that mount the alternator bracket on. Coming home from work last night I must've vibrated the bolts loose I am Magine I lost one previously and the second one finally fell out last night. And going to pick up some bolts today on my lunch break in some medium thread locker

• Like 1

That's pretty common. Use loctite on them when you install the new ones.

I have a trick that solves this issue. If you have the cast iron bracket, using a 3/8" drill bit, drill out the length of the bracket to be able to use one long bolt with a nut on the other side. Use an old head bolt (or whatever) and you'll never have that bolt come loose or break ever again. You will have to drill the alternator to 3/8 also.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My truck left me stranded for the first time last night. It seems to be getting no power to anything I can't turn on the headlights the car won't start not even so much as a click from the ignition. I know there is got to be a loose connection somewhere in the harness. Everything looks to be connected and nothing has been changed since it was driving fine. I'm thinking the culprit is somewhere within the fuse box? It might be time to upgrade to a more modern fuse box. I remember reading on flat cats thread about the blue sea systems fuse box and might go that route. But first I need to get my truck running and And home

• Like 2

theres a wire from the battery positive that feeds the fuse box also. plus the one at the starter.

The proplem is at the fuse box. this has happen to me a couple times . I just pull the light switch then fuck move shit around the fuse box area then if light come on then you know your at the right spot.

Fuses might look good but swap them out anyways as they can breack at the ends inside and you cant see it.

this is a simple fix most likely

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...