Death of my ZX

Hey guys what's up? Long time lurker, first time poster. When I was 18 I bought a running 1982 280zx 2+2 for 800 bucks and drove it home, a few years and a complete engine rebuild later she was running like new. I loved that car to death! She served faithfully as a daily driver for 4 years until a few weeks ago when a lapse in reason on my part sent her to the garage in the sky. It hurt like losing a family member, I cried for days. Even typing this is hard right now and it was made worse by the knowledge that it was my fault and could have been completely avoided if I had been a little more focused. I looked for another Z or datsun to replace her but the reality of working full time and living in an apartment alsunk in and another project was not practical, I needed a car I could drive now.

Even so I was determined to not be driving what I have come to call a "sheep box" car. Long story short the wife and I came across a 2003 infinity g35 sedan at a local used dealership and pulled the trigger. For the first time in my life I'm making payments on a car and I can't stand it but in my present situation it was nearly unavoidable. I've only had the G for about a week and it's growing on me but I miss having a clutch and the personal bond I had with the Z. The infinity while cool doesn't feel like my car, it just feels like a car I bought. I hope one day that feeling will return but something tells me that's just wishful thinking. I'm more optimistic that one day another Z will find me. Anyway thanks for taking the time to read, I'll try to post pics of both cars when I figure out how.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The G is a great car, surprised you're not already more in love with it than your zx. I had a zx and, in my less than humble opinion, they are shit. I loved it until I experienced a real z, then I hated it for the heavy and terrible handling junk zx's are. Sorry for your loss though. I feel your pain about having to cope with an auto trans, unfortunately a manual was a special order option on the 4 door G35 and not many were sold like that.

The G is pretty sweet. It's already been lowered and has a cherry bomb exhaust, sounds beefy but not overly loud. I realize that not everybody likes the ZX but I have a soft spot for them, my Z felt more immediate than the G but the G is faster so I guess it evens out. Plans for the G are pretty simple, rear spoiler, skyline rebadge and maybe different wheels but I like the stock ones a lot and wouldn't really want to deal with potential fitment issues relating to the suspension mods that have already been done.