'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, your ride looks great, love everything you have done so far.

Anxiously following your thread. Could you tell me or provide a link to the seatbelts you installed. I have aftrrmarket lap belts in my 74 and want shoulder belts( acfually my wife is bitching that I need shoulderbelts) Will I need some mounting hardware

to mount the shoulder belt part. My truck has nothing but the hole there.

+> Funny you mention the belts. There was a WTB in the classified for 620 belts. I PM'd the dude and sent pics of my old belts, told him he could have them if he paid the shipping charges. So I stuck them in a box and UPS'd 'em to OR. Feels good to 'recycle' to another Ratsunner. $6.00!

You have to go to Seatbeltplanet.com and look around. So long as you have the mounting holes in place you are good to go. The shoulder loop on my belts came with the bolt and it fit perfectly in the threaded bolt hole .

You want the 3 point retractable belts: https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatbelts-and-accessories/lap-shoulder-belts/

The 620 had a different mounting attachment where it did not have 3 points, it used flat bar to attach the shoulder belt behind reel mount:

IMG_2409aa_zps4j29wtkq.jpeg

see here:

IMG_2407_zps8q3lfp32.jpeg

So they have to be semi custom made and you need to talk to someone at SBP, but they are super helpful. I talked to a guy named Steve P. He totally knew what I needed when I sent him the pics above.

The retractor is a little different than the Nissan one. They dont make one with a locating tab anymore, the new ones have a more advance ball bearing locking mechanism. Because I did red webbing with black plastics, it added a couple of bucks...all in I think they were about $90 each. you can get the non aviation style stuff for less IIRC.

PM if you need any more info. I can send you a copy of the invoice and they could probably pull the order and copy it with your colors. I dont remember how long the webbing was and they will need that info...and you dont have any belts to measure from!

• Like 2

W00t.

This is a [bad] oics of a cotter pin that holds on the emergency brake cable...because I now have a PARKING BRAKE!!!! It took a bit of cobbling and combining of Isuzu cables, 620 cables and cable clamps, but it works! I'm stoked!

IMG_2972_zpsghy3nyfe.jpg

Since I lost the factory "BRAKE" light, I found this one on the Bay and wired it up. Adjusted the button on the brake handle and it works nicely. While the dash was out, I swapped in the USB/3.5mm input lighter.  The Hermosa head unit has both USB and 1/8th inputs so I hooked it up. Probably wont use it unless I need to charge my phone because I use the BT streaming option.

IMG_3212_zpsmda4v8xf.jpg

Right now I have a lot of the wiring out because Im installing a pushbutton start kit and power door locks.

IMG_2976_zpslhnpmdvi.jpg

• Like 4

I got the pushbutton start installed last weekend.

It worked great  about twice or three times. I noticed since I swapped the stock gauges out for the Speedhuts the volts were stuck at about 12, but when I revved the engine they went to about 16v. I did not think much about it, assumed the battery is kinda low because it sits all week. Well... when I installed the pushbutton kit, when it went to 16v it was not happy. I head a loud "click" under the dash and just like that...I let all the smoke out of the control module. It was dead.

It turns out (thanks to copious research here) that not having the stock "charge" lamp feeding the voltage to the alternator makes it crazy. So I traced out the wiring and ended up ordering the S13 alternator plug from Wiring Specialties. I added some extra grounds and a fusible link as well as hooked up both sense and lamp circuits. I added a bulb under the dash in the lamp circuit because it needs a little resistance to tickle the alternator exciter. I'll figure out a permanent solution to the lamp later.

Now everything works well.

Before:

altb4_zpszkyyjblp.jpg

After:

alt2_zpsuxad1qiq.jpg

• Like 3

I got the GTS 3 push button start kit from Gallo Technologies. I added the power door locks and started to run the wires during the install, the idea is to have remote lock/unlock. I had to call and order another control module, but they were way cool about it and sold me just the module instead of the whole kit. I have to say that their customer service is pretty outstanding.

It works pretty well now. It comes with two RFID keyfobs and also the stuff to turn it into an alarm system if you want (shock sensor, siren), but I did not use them.

The pushbutton fits almost perfectly in the Datsun opening. I added a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the body to snug it up, then ran a couple of beads of silicone on the back to lock it down. I ended up ordering the wiring plugs from Vintage Wiring so I could plug the stock harness into the Gallo Tech starter feed (see pics) and that was a good idea because when I smoked my first control module, it was easy to plug the old key switch back in !!! 

The starter button glows green when you are in proximity range and red when you are out of range.

6 pin, non latching connector:

conn1_zpshfnbjuuy.jpg

New Harness:

conn2_zpshkxlesl9.jpg

Keyfobs (the LED on the Fob also blinks when you are in range):

fob_zpszjk5tux1.jpg

Button "armed" - the pic is a little washed out.

red_zps7ipxyhvv.jpg

Button "green":

green_zpskkuyycub.jpg

I still have to clean up some wiring and get going on the door locks, but that is later.

• Like 3

Thanks youse guys!  :thumbup:

Yes they are Chevy 15x8 rallys with 205/55 off brand Chinese tires, they were on the truck when i got it. They are not my thing and are on the short list to swap out soon. With the disc brake swap, they stick out farther than I like

Im looking for more of a sport truck look, I wish I could find a clean set of Nismo truck TE37's...or something like at 16x6 or 6.5.

• Like 1

While I was fixing/upgrading the wiring, I cleaned up the ECU wiring and added a 10 position fuse block. Im going to finish wrapping the rest of the wires this weekend. The mess still kinda bugs me and I want a can am box.

This is tucked up behind the dash looking up (you can see the wiper motors). 

ecu_zpsi7gbfex1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks youse guys!  :thumbup:

Yes they are Chevy 15x8 rallys with 205/55 off brand Chinese tires, they were on the truck when i got it. They are not my thing and are on the short list to swap out soon. With the disc brake swap, they stick out farther than I like

Im looking for more of a sport truck look, I wish I could find a clean set of Nismo truck TE37's...or something like at 16x6 or 6.5.

I purchased a set of new Nismo truck TE37's, test fitted them, looks like they will need a 1/2" spacer for them to work right on my 73. They will rub on the tension rod at full lock.

• Like 2

I purchased a set of new Nismo truck TE37's, test fitted them, looks like they will need a 1/2" spacer for them to work right on my 73. They will rub on the tension rod at full lock.

YOU are my new best friend!!!!

Did you have disk brakes? I'm finding that the disks push the hubs out about 3/4" and might not rub....

thanks

P.S. - Did you buy them recently? like in the last couple of weeks?

• Like 1