• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Suspension is pretty much done.

Chuck is installing the new body mounts now.

Clutch always chattered so "while you are at it" we decided to drop the trans and check. Clutch was smoked and over heated. New clutch, PP and flywheel on the way. Going with the stock 240SX parts. Glad we checked.

w2Zmhib.jpgy0m3c2a.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Soooo. Almost a year to date from dropping the truck off for the coilover conversion...I can say Im done and on to the next project. What a long journey.

On the way home from the LBZ (about 30 miles) I immediately notice that the truck makes a lot of banging and crashing on the freeway. It also makes darty lane changes and rides like crap. So I start looking around

I notice massive camber and some of the new parts are hitting each other:

lydMkIc.jpg

So I end up taking it to a local hotrod/suspension shop - Valley Pacific Frame & Suspension in Canoga Park to take a look.

The install was pretty butched up, coils rubbing against the shock mounts, swaybar missing, and welds that looked like this (already cracked at the bottom at less than 50 miles):

kjxB6Qo.jpg

l3Oh7sX.jpg

So we endned up tearing everything out and starting over. We swapped in Hardbody drop spindles and a shorter spring to get the ride and ride height correct, reweleded everything and fabbed up a bunch of stuff to correct the camber.

z3VzH0X.jpg

05D5P60.jpg

Also got the FutoFab front swaybar to replace my missing stock one and brackets

Nfwifb5.jpg

Got the rear Koni's installed

ZE9jMtl.jpg

It aligned up perfectly

Ride is much better too.

Edited by FrankRizzo
spellung
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

So we endned up tearing everything out and starting over. We swapped in Hardbody drop spindles and a shorter spring to get the ride and ride height correct, reweleded everything and fabbed up a bunch of stuff to correct the camber.

z3VzH0X.jpg

05D5P60.jpg

Also got the FutoFab front swaybar to replace my missing stock one and brackets

Nfwifb5.jpg

Got the rear Koni's installed

ZE9jMtl.jpg

It aligned up perfectly

Ride is much better too.

Much better but that upper adjustment is all the way in, seems like its not even needed anymore. looks alot better though.

• Like 1

So I spied a "1972-1974 Datsun 620 replacement grille on Ebay - so I jumped on it and this is what I got....

Grrrrrrrr.......So I got a refund...they said to keep it because of shipping.

Somebody need a late model grill? Now I have two of these fuckers that I dont want (one came with the truck)....

imk47No.jpg

hEZK3jw.jpg

On 10/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, FrankRizzo said:

The box is 58 x 7 x 11 inches and weighs 6 lbs.

I think the tax is the killer, eh? If you pay for shipping, you can have them for free.

I'd ship from 91367 in California

LOL, UPS wants $85USD for regular service, $54 if I had it shipped to Sweetgrass and pick it up across the border myself. FedEx site hangs when I try to input postal/zip codes.

Guess this won't be happening😆

10 hours ago, EDM620 said:

LOL, UPS wants $85USD for regular service, $54 if I had it shipped to Sweetgrass and pick it up across the border myself. FedEx site hangs when I try to input postal/zip codes.

Guess this won't be happening😆

Check UPS through PayPal shipping if those are retail rates - it'll be much cheaper

Not meaning to hijack the topic here.

Actually no better using PayPal. I can get parts shipped from Thailand air freighted in a few days for cheap, but I can't get a decent freight charge from US to CAN. Probably because I'm trying to set it up on my end?? 

If you want to get quote from your end, my postal is t5t6e4. Tariff code if asks for should be 9966.00.00 (part for vehicle >25 yrs old).

Ive started to refresh the interior a little bit.

I ordered some repop door cards on Ebay months ago. they are surprisingly well made and fit very well. I also ordered new window cranks and washers, door locks and grommets and armrests from the Z car warehouse and got everything in today.

Backside of the old/new panels:

Ni4jtwW.jpg

Panel parts:

T0Gpiof.jpg

Before:

lG2Mrds.jpg

After:

ofzkA2P.jpg

Also - they stock these rubber doohickeys that keep the doors from rattling!

sk8XYfV.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, EDM620 said:

Not meaning to hijack the topic here.

Actually no better using PayPal. I can get parts shipped from Thailand air freighted in a few days for cheap, but I can't get a decent freight charge from US to CAN. Probably because I'm trying to set it up on my end?? 

If you want to get quote from your end, my postal is t5t6e4. Tariff code if asks for should be 9966.00.00 (part for vehicle >25 yrs old).

If you're willing to get a quote to ship from your end, I would eTransfer or Paypal the funds to you.

I am arriving at the party late, so apologies if this has already been addressed. I purchased and paid for shipping on parts sent from British Columbia to the States using the NetParcel Paypal addition. The parts arrived promptly and shipping was HALF the price of quoted shipping without the use of NetParcel.

A few caveats, the first, when installing the NetParcel app, it asks for more privileges on my Paypal account, then I am comfortable allowing, so I promptly disabled NetParcel permissions, after our business was complete. I didn't uninstall the app, because with the the cost of shipping under control, acquiring parts from Canada, becomes a reasonable option. Second, to put some numbers to my experience: Purchased a set of doors, not for a Datsun, but for a Suzuki (doors similar in size) package weight was 80lbs package size was just below the "large package fee" (That fee is an extra $75, so check the specs and try to keep it under if possible). Total shipping cost, just under $97.00. All other bids UPS, DHL, Fedex, were around $150, decent savings. BUT, the NetParcel quote was in Canadian dollars. The shipping price in USD was about $76.

It would cost more than $76 to ship and 80lbs package in the States. A third and final caveat, my package was delivered last week, there was a bunch of language on the NetParcel website about additional fees if required by customs. There shouldn't be any fees, doors are valued under $800 and are for a vehicle over 25 years old, BUT I am skeptical, when paying half of what I expected. If some strange charge appears on my Paypal account or some strange bill comes in the mail, I will post it to this thread. (To be clear, I do not see any reason for a bill to appear, it is my inner curmudgeon, that expects it.)