(EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking EPA horseshit.  Kill 'em all.  That's what I think.  The EPA is just trying a scare tactic there.  If they want to tank the economy and tell everyone, oh no, you can't race cars because that's poor gas mileage and bad emissions, then they might as well say fuck the space program because that generates a ton of emissions more than racing every time they launch a shuttle or probe.

• Like 2

First of all there is no link to anything so hearsay followed by kneejerk reaction. 

Second, BILLIONS are spent on the aftermarket car 'performance' industry. BILLIONS. They are not going to let this happen. What about all the taxes spent on this stuff? What about all the parts already out there?? It's like gun regulations... it simply ain't happening.

Third I think it said proposal. There are probably tens of thousands of 'proposals' a year made. The vast majority are laughed away.

Fourth, good luck with them defining what constitutes a 'Race Car'. Performance tires, lowering blocks, sway bars, 'racing' mirrors, spoilers, red paint and decals, hood scoop, hood pins, 'mag' rims, BRE stripes and loud exhaust???????.... on and on and on and on and on....

• Like 3

Did you read them?

Those links have nothing to do with turning cars into race cars or whatever this thread is about,,, they are all in reference to mandating more fuel efficient / cleaner burning engines in heavy duty trucks,, ie diesel semi trucks... 

• Like 2

Did you read them?

Those links have nothing to do with turning cars into race cars or whatever this thread is about,,, they are all in reference to mandating more fuel efficient / cleaner burning engines in heavy duty trucks,, ie diesel semi trucks... 

Yes, I did read them, and I posted them because I found it odd that there was nothing in them regarding the subject of the thread yet they are the direct result of using the title of origin in the OP's cited thread on NICO.  It seemed like more fear mongering than fact at that point.  SEMA is known to whip up frenzy when needed.

But then again, it was on the internet so it must be true.

Look at that really closely, it's a SEMA press release posted on a SEMA page with a SEMA backed statement of protection.

As Mike stated, there is no link or direct info in the memo that cites actual government intention to do what SEMA is claiming is going to happen.

• Like 1

Every couple of years some story comes up or a petition to sign about some law that is contrary to owning and operating a vintage car. Seems to me just to stir up people. These things have a life of their own, come up and then..... never mentioned ever again.

First of all there is no link to anything so hearsay followed by kneejerk reaction.

Second, BILLIONS are spent on the aftermarket car 'performance' industry. BILLIONS. They are not going to let this happen. What about all the taxes spent on this stuff? What about all the parts already out there?? It's like gun regulations... it simply ain't happening.

Third I think it said proposal. There are probably tens of thousands of 'proposals' a year made. The vast majority are laughed away.

Fourth, good luck with them defining what constitutes a 'Race Car'. Performance tires, lowering blocks, sway bars, 'racing' mirrors, spoilers, red paint and decals, hood scoop, hood pins, 'mag' rims, BRE stripes and loud exhaust???????.... on and on and on and on and on....

Clearly you don't understand the power those mobsters from the EPA posses...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tend not to believe much of what government spokesmen tell me when it come to regulations and their intended uses. I do feel it is important they know how large the automotive enthusiast group is in this country.

SEMA started an online partition to speak out against what they perceived as a threat to automotive enthusiasts.

It doesn’t matter which side of the story you believe, but signing the SEMA partition does do one thing. It makes the non-automotive bureaucrats aware of how large this enthusiast group is.

Please take the effort to sign the SEMA partition, if not to support the issue but just to show these bureaucrats how many automotive enthusiast there are in this country.

SEMA probably has the best funded lobbyists in Washington to support automobile hobbyists. As enthusiasts we should provide them with support to prove that automobile enthusiasts should be listened to.   

SEMA Partition Link - https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tell-epa-withdraw-its-proposal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

• Like 1