Driving Lights - WHY?......

Why do so many IDIOTS drive around with their driving lights on?

When I added a set of Cibies,I would always try to turn them off,if there

was oncoming traffic.

I'm tired of getting blinded,especially when coming around a corner,

in the dark,in the mountains. 

I have a few sets of driving lights/headlight replacements,that I'm

so tempted to fight these people with.

Whatever happened to the time that only enthusiasts had them?

- Doug 

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to the time that only enthusiasts had them?

Perhaps it's after the track closes and all the enthusiasts are on the open road?

• Like 2

Argument about driving lights (or DRLs- Daytime Running Lights) has been going on ever since some MFGs made them standard equipment back in the 1990s.  I think Canada requires them, but not sure.  The worst ones are the ones that illuminate the high beams at low intensity- maybe lower intensity, but they're still aimed right in oncoming driver's faces.

I knew someone with a Canadian Corsica- to disable the DRLs it was one fuse.  My Corsica had the same marking on the fusebox but no wiring for actual DRLs, being the US version.

The problem I have with DRLs is folks that have them tend to forget to turn on their headlights, so they're driving around at night with no taillights.  Add in the always illuminated dashboards, and these folks have no idea they don't have their lights on.   It really sucks in the fog, because you just don't see them until you're right on top of 'em.

• Like 3

I have an issue with this myself.Im constantly being blinded.Not only driving lights but these new aftermarket blue lights that are probably installed by the vehicle owner and not adjusted properly.I just go ahead and turn my highs on to show them what its like.

Drl are a good idea, helps judge distance when passing on hiway. Cars without lights on can be almost invisible in comparison. Fog lights, driving lights and the new headlights suck for oncoming traffic, even some new low beams are blinding, I'd put a high power led lightbar on to fight back with, except I am to cheap to pay the ridiculous amount they sell for

• Like 1

Running lights are a great idea but people expect to see them on cars. In bright sun in the summer you are illuminated in shade. I drive with this in mind when approaching other cars that might glance my way, not see lights and think they can turn out in front of me in my Datsun.

To fixed this last fall when I re-wired my 710 with relays so that the low beams are on when ever the ignition is on engine running. Still working on it this spring but this part at least is working. I'm using the old wiring to work the relays for high and low beams and 12 gauge wiring powered directly from the battery. They look brighter now too.

My high lo switch has a third position on it that I believe will turn headlights on high beam even if the headlights are off. A 'flash to pass' position for emergency warning of oncoming traffic that something is up. My wiring diagram shows it on the switch, but the wires on the plug side of the of the harness are empty... not used. I think I can get this working.

What really pisses me off is the extra driving lamps on trucks that are used all the time when in town and not needed. Them there's the HID conversions to lamps not built for them with no cut off pattern.

Fog lights and driving lights are two completely different things. OEM, cars come with fogs not driving lights. Driving lights are like lasers designed to shine far but with a narrow beam and under the low beams. Fog lights are for foreground illumination and widespread light, and again from factory set to below the low beams. Then you get into laws, like in Oregon its illegal to have your fogs on anywhere can't have your high beams on. It's also illegal to have more than four forward facing lights in Oregon. This causes manufacturers to disable the fogs with the high beams lights as many cars would then have 6 lights on. There is also just the problem that highs provide distance lighting and your eyes should be focused out there and with fogs on with the foreground illuminated your eyes have a hard time.

Fog lights are not bright as they are not setup to point above thr low beams, that is unless they install HIDs.

My car has yellow fogs(helps when I am driving through clouds), bixenon projectors that I have boosted to about 55w of power(all factory except the resistor I added to the ballast), and finally some halogen highs. I recoded my car allow all lights on at the same time. I outshine any car on the road, but I rarely get flashed and when I do its on hills (my car has auto leveling lights).

It's also illegal to have more than four forward facing lights in Oregon.

That's actually a federal law.  Just not enforced.  Since pretty much every car since 1987 has only 2 headlights, OEM fog lights aren't a problem meeting that rule, but older vehicles with the 4-headlight system ran afoul of it.

That law is the reason you (used to) see 4X4s with floodlights on the roll bars or on the brush bars with covers on the floodlights.  You were supposed to keep them covered unless you were off road.  It's still the law but again, no one enforces it.

In any case having fog lights and high beams on simultaneously is pretty stupid.  Having high beams on in the fog makes your vision WORSE, since much of the upward-facing light reflects back. 

• Like 1

My actual complaint is  about newer cars that come with DRIVING lights that

people are too stupid and/or inconsiderate to turn off to oncoming drivers.

Just why do you need to have these on in the daytime (again - oncoming-

traffic),let alone nighttime?

As far as DRL's - I would hope that I'm smart enough to turn on my headlights

when they're needed.Also - if you've got a low battery,do you want your headlights on?

- Doug

when they're needed.Also - if you've got a low battery,do you want your headlights on?

You may be surprised how many cars I see driving down the street in town at night with their lights off. When I flash my lights at them, I've gotten everything from confused to pissed off looks.

• Like 1

I drive all the time with my headlights on. As should everyone. 

When I drive to work, I face the sun. If there is a car behind me without their lights on, they are blind to me. 

Or I can't see oncoming cars.

Also...when I leave work I face the sun. Same thing. 

Lights on for safety people. 

My only real complaints are aftermarket lights. HIDs on cars that did not come with them. Zombie Bars. Etc. 

• Like 4

- Doug

They are on so that others see YOU not any other reason.

If your engine is running it doesn't matter if you just got a boost and the battery is near dead. The alternator will easily both charge the battery and power the lights.

• Like 1

I wired my driving lights to turn on with the parking lamp circuit.  I've also adjusted them down so the beam doesn't blind people, yet they make it much better for foggy driving and seeing the edge of the road in the winter.  And I put them right where the Pathys had them from the factory.  The bumper insert on both sides.  Work great!  I think the real problem is people putting in aftermarket HID conversions and other stuff with the wrong beam cut-off where it just shines everywhere.

Here in GA, every Bubba with a 4X4 lifts it.  Then they put the blue bulbs in everything, turn on fog, driving, headlamps traveling 3' off your rear bumper.  I have to adjust mirrors so I can see at night, feeling the heat on the back of my bald head.  The fart can low riders do the same thing.  Their cars bounce so much that its like a strobe light hitting you as they come at you from the front.   I must be getting old!

• Like 1