2jZ car....

dabby dunkerton

Well ladies and gentleman of the court i feel like i have enough money saved up to start the swap of my dreams. I will be going with a 2jz r154 combo in my 78 z and i couldnt be more excited to start. Im gonna first start with tearing down the suspension and reapeinting the compentents underside and engine bay and from there my build will begin. Any tips and word of motivation will be much appricated on this long expensive addiction. The only thin im really worried about is wiring the gauges/key to the engine so if anyone on here has done the swap please hmu

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ah, this is my dream to do a swap into a 240z or 260z. I am selling my MK3 Supra to pay for a new project 240z.

Dabby Dunkerton, Kraken - do you have or will have build threads? I'm interesting in how the project swap will go! I'm new to the Datsun Z universe and the boards here, and have been trying to hunt down a Z for a few weeks while I wait for my car to sell. I can't wait to get my hands dirty with it!!  Is the swap particularly hard? I'm learning my way around working on cars and have no welding skills but a buddy of mine has lots of welding skills.

Dabby dunkerton good luck with the swap!!

Its not a terribly hard swap, not the simplest either.

But if your new to working on cars there may be some things a bit over your head.

It deff would help to have a friend with experience

(real experiance, not the guy that thinks he knows everything)

around to lend a hand and make sure its going together correctly.

Theres quite a few good write ups on the wiring and such on hybridZ

and these days there are a few bolt in pre made mount kits for it into S30s.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey Dabby, I've done the swap on my 280zx it was fairly easy with some help. 

I'll give you a word of advice, I did not like the r154 since it felt like driving a truck so I switched my r154 with a cd009 (2006 350z nissan tranny) you could get the adapter kit from http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adaption-kits/2jz-gte-1jz-gte-engine/2jz-1jz-to-350z-adapterplate-flywheel-combo.htmland an ACT clutch, collins sells their own clutch as well, but you'd also need the yoke that they sell for the setup to work.

The stock speedo would work, as for the others it didnt work for me so I went ahead and ordered a set of speedhut gauges and I love them. 

But anyways, goodluck with the build its a very interesting thing to do. 

• 2 months later...