what engines have people put in their 620

rheecey21

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to cut the body.... they don't fit. V8s don't fit. Many V6 engines will probably fit because of their length but worst of all they are heavy. There are lots of powerful 4 cylinder engines even non Nissan 4 cylinder.

L20B, Z20, Z22 and Z24 plus stroker engines made up of mixing these two series of engine parts, like an LZ22 or LZ24. If you add KA parts a 2.3.  These can be run with carburetors making the conversion and wiring very simple. Then there's the VG30 engine.

Yello620 did a VG-E swap. His thread is well documented.

The VG30E fits incredibly well. See signature for a build thread. 

But also remember that the VG33E would fit just the same. I would build a combination of VG parts if/when I build another one.

Aluminum v-6's are comparable in weight to iron straight 4's.  The problem with the VG is it took a modified oil pan.  Somebody was making rear sump oil pans for the VQ for 510 swaps, but they are spendy.  I still like the chevy LFX V6.  I got a pullout engine with all the accessories shipped to my house for $2300.

If you have to cut the body.... they don't fit. V8s don't fit. Many V6 engines will probably fit because of their length but worst of all they are heavy. 

The Land Rover aluminum V8 weighs about the same as the L20b.  The ford 302 with aluminum heads and intake is less than 100 lbs heavier, and its a very narrow V8, commonly swapped into British cars so my bet is that it would fit nicely with the right exhaust.  Trimming inner fenders is not a big deal to most of us.  Chopping up the firewall to make room however, well that's a big loss of foot room so you'd better have a KC or be under 5'5" tall.  

Well if you change it from the j series you'll have to change the motor mounts and possibly the trans mount (someone can confirm that) but yes an l20b will fit, they came stock in the later 620's in N Am as datzenmike said.

Well if you change it from the j series you'll have to change the motor mounts and possibly the trans mount (someone can confirm that) but yes an l20b will fit, they came stock in the later 620's in N Am as datzenmikesaid.

And would I have to use a different box, tailshaft and shifter position?

Go to this link, then click on "catalog" and then "engine conversions" This company makes and sells mounts, trans mounts, and headers for Chevy V6 and V8 conversions for pl620's.  They claim the swaps fit fine, and zero to minimum cutting is required.  I've seen a few 620 V8 swaps, and it looks to me like they fit in reasonably well.

Personally, I'd prefer a KA or SR swap, but I get the appeal of a V8 swap.

http://www.powerbyace.com/