510 with 280zx struts , which parts do I keep ???

logicali

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be able to use your 510 ball joints. Depending on how you do it, you may want to cut the perches off of the 510 strut assemblies so they can be put onto the ZX assemblies. If you're doing coilovers then you don't need to worry about the perches either. Other than the perches (the ZX uses a larger diameter spring), they essentially bolt right onto the 510. Some might recommend going with the ZX master cylinder, but I just kept the 510 one and haven't had any problems.

• Like 1

You will need to use the 510 coil spring (the zx coil is too large a diameter) and the 510 lower spring perch with the 510 top hat.

OR

some other smaller diameter spring than the zx

OR

adjustable coil overs.

The larger zx caliper requires more (or slightly more) pedal travel to supply enough volume of fluid to work them. Your pedal may feel mushy and soft or you may like the feel. The brakes will still work fine. If you have a brake booster you can increase the master size to something slightly larger that takes less pedal. If you don't have a booster, going to a larger master will require more effort to push on the pedal so only a small increase in master size should be done.

I have Maxima calipers on my 710. It has a brake booster and now a 15/16" master. (3/16" larger) Feels just like the 3/4" it replaced.  

If you're going to use the 510 perches, you'll want to either weld them on or use shaft collars to hold them in place. I use the shaft collars on mine and have never had any issues but some suggest doing some spot welds on them to ensure they don't move. I'm not 100% sure on the size of the collar you want, but it's 2" or maybe 2-1/16". The nice thing about the shaft collars is that you'll have the ability to adjust the height some by moving them up or down the strut tube. Once you're happy with the height, then maybe add the spot welds to make sure they never move.

Double-Split-Shaft-Collar-408x306.jpg

• Like 2

Yes adjust and see how you like the height. I wouldn't weld the perches on. I did put a couple of easy to get at tacks below the split collars so they cannot move on me. Each collar is rated to hold 6,000 pounds. That's the weight of almost 3 510 per strut.

Yes adjust and see how you like the height. I wouldn't weld the perches on. I did put a couple of easy to get at tacks below the split collars so they cannot move on me. Each collar is rated to hold 6,000 pounds. That's the weight of almost 3 510 per strut.

worst case scenario, these will be shown more than their rated force.  freefall impact force of a datsun would amount to nearly 75,000lbs.  That can apply to one wheel if falling on a corner.  This would not occur in any real world situation.  And honestly, the spring perch slipping could be the best thing to happen in that situation, as it could relieve force from the frame or spindle.  But I've read about folks slipping a pipe that sleeves over the tube cut to the length of the spring perch.  You could do this just below the shaft collar to prevent any shifting and even catch the perch if the collar were to fail entirely.  But I'd trust the collar.  Especially if you are driving on roads.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find McMastercarr easier to navigate.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=119hawd

Make sure to get two piece collars, or double split collars.

You can get Black Oxide (will rust a bit down the road), Zinc (probably the best option), Stainless isnt recommended due to lower axial forces than steel.

• 4 months later...

Early 510 ball joints were smaller that the later I believe... and were used on the 240z through June '70 (not sure about the 510 use) after, the 510 and z car used 40160-A8700, which I think is a larger ball joint. Early 510 ball joint numbers are not compatible with the later A8700 number so this is why I think they are different. Anyone?

Just get what fit's your year. What ever fits, was also used on similar year z cars, so they are not better just the same.