Distributor/Firing Order Issue.

Hondanx250

I recently rebuilt my engine. I am having trouble getting it to Fire over. Also has a New Weber Carb. I am more Stumped on this then anything.

I Believe i put the timing chain on correct. I had everything aligned to the book specifications.

I Believe the Distributor is aligned right according to the book. The firing order is 1324 Correct?

To be Honest I'm Just Stumped? Anyone have any information?

I can take off the valve cover if needed.

DSCN1293.jpgDSCN1292.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cap won't go on 180 out just to prevent someone doing this.

I Believe the Distributor is aligned right according to the book. The firing order is 1324 Correct?

If you set 1324 just swap the 2 and 4 plug ends.

• Like 1

I think it looks right. I bet its the counterclock wires fire order. My mistake it looks wrong(updated)

Oh you dont have to remove the valve cover just look at the intake lobe. if its the 10o clock poisition then its o the TDC stroke. Onlt take Valvve cover off it checking cam timming.

olddatsuns.com in tech section has the fire order rotation.

between the books and Oldatsun.com tech section is all that one really needs.

i install dist slightly loose to see if it fire more on one saise the the other then time it asap

This is a method that works for me.

After the engine is together, but the oil pump is not yet installed, I rotate the engine crankshaft to the point where the timing is set.  On a L-16, about 10 to 12 degrees before top dead center, number one firing.

A matchbox distributor fires when the points on both the rotor and stator (pick-up) line up, exactly.

Line up the dots on the oil pump, and the drive spindle.  Put the oil pump in, make sure the pump is all the way up, put one bolt in, just snug.

Now, put the distributor in, with the timing plate bolted to the distributor set about the middle of the adjustment slot.  If the points on the rotor, and stator line up, put the distributor cap rotor on.  If the cap rotor points to number one spark plug wire tower on the cap, put the rest of the oil pump bolts in, and tighten then to specified torque.

If the points on the distributor rotor and stator do not line up, note which way the oil pump spindle need to rotate to make the points line up.  Remove the distributor, drop the oil pump, turn the spindle that way, and put the oil pump back in.  Check the position again with the distributor.   It helps with this process if you take into account the direction the drive spindle is going to rotate as the gears start to engage, and you can figure this out by looking at which direction the gear teeth slope on the drive spindle.

The way your oil pump spindle is now, the distributor will not fire at the correct time BTDC unless the distributor body is rotated about 45 degrees out of  position, and then the cap rotor is between two plug wire contact on the cap.

• Like 1

Also, never assume that the TDC pointer is correct. There are at least three different styles of TDC pointers for early Datsun motors and if the wrong one is used, lining up the notch in the pulley with the pointer will not show accurate TDC.

Pull #1 or #4 spark plug and bring it slowly up to TDC with a long handled screwdriver in the spark plug hole. When you feel the piston come up and start going back down, check the pointer and see if it's in the ballpark.

• Like 1

Once you start the engine the bright link will no longer line up.  It will orbit around.  It's for initial assembly only.  There are other marks that have to be used to check cam timing once the engine has been turned over.

Alright Thanks, All the other markings line up correct. I was just wondering since its was not aligned.